PDA

View Full Version : Sippie cup or straw cup?

sunshine873
11-04-2009, 04:39 PM
DD is 9 months old (6 months adjusted) and we're just starting to introduce a sippy cup. She doesn't get the have to tip it up concept. I'm wondering what would be better. Just keep giving it to her until she gets it? Or should we try a straw cup? Something tells me she'd get the straw idea fairly quickly. Is there a reason we shouldn't do that? I'm just completely unsure about which way to go here...BTDT anyone?

JBaxter
11-04-2009, 04:41 PM
We do both. I would have more straw cups but I find them a PITA to wash. The straw gets cruddy inside

the2bobs
11-04-2009, 04:45 PM
We're straw people here. We started with the little sippy cups (different colors, plastic non-BPA by the First Years) which DS really liked. Then we moved onto straws which he loves--took about a wknd for him to get the hang of it and he was about a yr old. We run the straws thru the dishwasher, just rinse well 1st or they do get gross and hard to clean.

Reyadawnbringer
11-04-2009, 04:59 PM
We started sippy cups when DS was about 9 mo. It took him a little bit to learn that he had to tip it up, but when he did we were so excited. One thing we did with the sippy cup is just alwys make sure it was full so he didn't have to tip it up so much. We offered him straw cups too and he JUST (as in this last weekend) learned how to suck through the straw.

twowhat?
11-04-2009, 05:04 PM
We started with straw cups and the girls could drink out of them at 6 months old. We use the Take N Toss cups...they aren't totally leakproof but when tipped over they will only spill a few drops. And no valve in the straw, so they're super easy to clean. I love these cups. We practice with regular cups in the bath. They didn't really start getting the "tipping" until pretty recently (they are 13 months old) and it is hilarious because they will tip too far and completely wash their faces with water, and then they look so shocked!

Reyadawnbringer
11-04-2009, 05:07 PM
We started with straw cups and the girls could drink out of them at 6 months old. We use the Take N Toss cups...they aren't totally leakproof but when tipped over they will only spill a few drops. And no valve in the straw, so they're super easy to clean. I love these cups. We practice with regular cups in the bath. They didn't really start getting the "tipping" until pretty recently (they are 13 months old) and it is hilarious because they will tip too far and completely wash their faces with water, and then they look so shocked!

:hysterical:
My DS does that too. He has been working on a cup with no lid since he was 11 mo. (it was an accident- he grabbed the cup off the table before I could grab it). He still gets a little eager and dumps water on his face. Like last night- he was so excited while taking a bath because he took the cup and finally learned that he could catch the running water in it. So, he would fill up the cup and then get all excited to drink it and move it too fast then it would dump all over his face. He totally didn't care- he just went right back to filling up the cup.

codex57
11-04-2009, 06:04 PM
DS got the hang of straws a lot quicker. However, we have sippy cups in this house. DS drinks more from a sippy cup than a straw. Plus, straws are impossible to clean. We just have a stash of disposable straws instead of a straw cup.