PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else sick to death of coupon codes?

wellyes
11-04-2009, 07:00 PM
I'm convinced that they only want us to think it is a way for dedicated savvy shoppers to earn bargains.... and that really it's an insidious way to make shopping a game, to release endorphins of pleasure when you get a deal (in other words, give the stores money).

I subscribe to email lists to hear about bargains. I check Slickdeals every day. I never shop online without referencing eBates and Retailmenot. I know tricks like calling Children's Place retail stores to get a free shipping code.

It's so TIRING and dumb. If they'd just put the stuff on sale for the bargain price instead of making me jump through all these hoops, I'd have more time to work on / think about things that matter, not how to get out of paying the $7 Old Navy shipping charges or waiting for the new myPublisher code before ordering my photobooks.

Anyway, is it just me or is online shopping getting absurd?

kristal
11-04-2009, 07:12 PM
If they'd just put the stuff on sale for the bargain price instead of making me jump through all these hoops, I'd have more time to work on / think about things that matter,

:yeahthat:

I'm not as much of a savvy shopper as you are, but totally agree with all what you said! Online shopping IS getting absurd and tiring.

almostmom
11-04-2009, 07:15 PM
oh my gosh I am so with you! And even more annoying is when you find what you want and how you want it, but then can't find it in the right size - ugh! I feel like I am obsessed these days with getting the best deal, and also super annoying is when I then leave something in my cart, and then it isn't available, or the deal is gone.

You are so right about the endorphins and game of it. That's so not nice of them!

AshleyAnn
11-04-2009, 07:15 PM
I agree I hate googling and searching for a code everytime I want to make a purchase. Not to mention all the false ones. Then if I can't get a code I have to decide it I want to wait or buy it now.

veronica
11-04-2009, 07:29 PM
No bashing....but I tend to like the "hunt". I get more upset, when I find what I want but can't find an extra code or free ship.

What you need to realize is that for each savvy on line bargain hunter, the stores likely have hundreds that don't even google for extra codes/deals! It's hard work for us to save, but worth it for retailers to keep the status quo.

Joolsplus2
11-04-2009, 07:36 PM
I always just can't believe the amount of money that people thoughtlessly spend at BRU... I just want to say, "Don't you know you could get this for like half the price online???"

But yeah, I do spend a little too much time checking coupon sites and being upset when codes are expired :tongue5:

happymom
11-05-2009, 12:11 AM
YES!! And I've become so obsessed with finding codes, that the thought of ordering something online withOUT one is just horrifying! Its like, there must be one somewhere....if I just look a little harder....aaaaaaaaah!

kozachka
11-05-2009, 03:12 AM
I know how you feel, trust me. But if you put yourself into business shoes, you would realize that the reason why they make it difficult is to have less people use codes and sell their stuff with a higher mark-up. The reality is that most goods are sold without codes so if the stores were to sell everything at bargain prices as you suggested they would earn significantly less money.

In economics there is a term "discriminative pricing", which means that you would charge a customer as much as s/he is willing to pay for it. Obviously it is nearly impossible to do it in a real world but you could try to segment customers by using coupons and codes. Generally speaking, people who are better off value their time more so would be less likely to use codes. Does that make sense?

Globetrotter
11-05-2009, 04:48 AM
I hate to hit the checkout and see that little box for coupons or codes and not have one to use!! At that point I usually end up googling to make sure there isn't one out there.

It is a pain, but I can understand why they have to make it a little hard.

brittone2
11-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Yes. I honestly put off purchases sometimes because I feel like I need to allot a big chunk of time to search for codes, etc. in order to get a decent deal. And it kills me to just order without a code, so I can't win ;) Seriously though, I procrastinate buying online at any place that runs a lot of codes because it is such a PITB.

Melaine
11-05-2009, 08:45 AM
No bashing....but I tend to like the "hunt". I get more upset, when I find what I want but can't find an extra code or free ship.

What you need to realize is that for each savvy on line bargain hunter, the stores likely have hundreds that don't even google for extra codes/deals! It's hard work for us to save, but worth it for retailers to keep the status quo.

:yeahthat:

wellyes
11-05-2009, 10:20 AM
But if you put yourself into business shoes, you would realize that the reason why they make it difficult is to have less people use codes and sell their stuff with a higher mark-up. The reality is that most goods are sold without codes so if the stores were to sell everything at bargain prices as you suggested they would earn significantly less money.

I think that's true, but I also think that the codes are big money-makers for stores and I'm starting to find it somehow unsettling. I did the whole CVS extra care buck thing for a while, and it's true you can get great deals and even free stuff that way --- but it also gets you looking obsessively at CVS circulars, talking about in different forums, heck I've even been to a community Mom's Night Out based on couponing & CVSing in particular.

I ended up feeling uncomfortable with having a store having so many people wrapped around its finger like that. If you're really broke, you can get shampoo at the dollar store instead of getting name-brand stuff for a dollar but also devoting time, energy, making multiple trips to the store to use your "rewards", etc.

I know it's entertainment / a sport for some people & that's fine. But I think it's a little psychologically insidious as well.

carolinamama
11-05-2009, 10:35 AM
It is amazing how full my inbox gets with companies handing out codes for free-shipping, 20% off - but only for a day so "don't miss it". I know they do it because they will hook people who, otherwise, wouldn't buy anything but feel llike they need to find something since they sale only lasts for a day. It's all about marketing and there is certainly a psychological component to it as well. I know our family is saving money now that I don't buy anything ahead just because it is a great deal even if I end up paying full price for a gift here and there. We just have less junk hanging out in the closets.

kozachka
11-05-2009, 05:42 PM
I hate to hit the checkout and see that little box for coupons or codes and not have one to use!! At that point I usually end up googling to make sure there isn't one out there.

That's what I do as well. I also check Fatwallet and eBates for codes. And check www.evrebates.com (http://www.evrebates.com) for the best rebate offers.