PDA

View Full Version : Food for thought: Worst kids foods

misshollygolightly
11-04-2009, 07:10 PM
I thought this was interesting. Many of the items listed weren't exactly shockers, but I was surprised to find that some items that *sound* sort of healthier-ish were the worst offenders (the turkey burgers and the crispy chicken on brown rice dish at PF Chang's for instance). Anyway, good to know, even though we rarely (if ever) eat at most of these places.

http://health.msn.com/kids-health/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100244850&page=1

LarsMal
11-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Sometimes I'm glad DS has allergies!! Most of these foods aren't even options for him, so we don't get them for DD either.

Most disappointing for me is the Ruby Tuesday turkey burger minis. I love those things!

Joolsplus2
11-04-2009, 07:50 PM
Whoa, yikes. I'm glad I don't ever tell the kids they have to clean their plates (We're guilty of the Uno Kombo thing from time to time...it's huge, they eat about 2 nuggets and 2 cheeses and a fry)
And, no wonder I find that BK double cheeseburger kids meal so filling...I buy it for ME if there's a cool toy (but of course with diet coke... :loveeyes:)

niccig
11-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Chain restaurants here have to not list the calorie content of each dish. Either it's on the menu or there's a separate listing. DH was surprised that what he thought was a healthy salad was worse than a burger....you have to be careful with all the dressing/condiments that they add. I wonder if the turkey burger would be better if they just put mustard or ketchup on it.

DrSally
11-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Sometimes I'm glad DS has allergies!! Most of these foods aren't even options for him, so we don't get them for DD either.

Most disappointing for me is the Ruby Tuesday turkey burger minis. I love those things!

I know what you mean. DS didn't really have any processed foods for the first 2 years of his life (only mini fig newtons once and awhile) b/c of his allergies.

DS loves Laughing Cow Mini Babybel (mentioned as an alternative), esp. since he can open them himself. I wish they sold the low fat version at Costco (more cost effective than the small bags at Target). I think low fat cheese is one of the best snacks for kids.

And, Wow, I knew lunchables were bad, but the nutrition info was terrible! They seem convenient, but I'm not getting those.

boolady
11-04-2009, 11:35 PM
While it certainly seems that they're better than the Sunny D drink mentioned, I'm surprised they list the Capri Sun Roaring Waters. They have high fructose corn syrup and Splenda in them. Why wouldn't they chose the Honest Kids pouches or something that has reduced sugar, but at least has real sugar. The Capri Suns have 35 calories/9 g sugar, the Honest Kids have 40 calories/10 g sugar. For the extra 5 calories and 1 g sugar, I'd rather not have the HFCS and artificial stuff.