PDA

View Full Version : Plantar warts on kids?

Thatchermom
11-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Anyone have an older DC that has had issues with warts? Within the last few weeks DS has gone from "What are these tiny bumps on my feet?" to "these huge things (raisin-sized!) hurt!" There are so many on both feet and they grew so fast! We have an appointment with his ped on Friday. Not sure what the process is or what it will be like for him after. He is worried about his best friend's bday party on Saturday. He is really a kid who would rather know the details, even if it is bad, and I can't find much online about kids going through this. Searches here were about adults, too. Anyone BTDT with a kiddo?

HIU8
11-04-2009, 08:36 PM
I had them as a teenager. I had one on my thumb for years. I never showed it to my parents and I used to pick at it and expose it all the time. I also had about 30 on my feet and toes and finally had to go and get them burnt off. I can't say it hurt, but it was not super comfortable and I wore only birk's for about a week after. I have not had a problem since I had them burnt off though. I went to a dermatologist (not a podiatrist).

heatherlynn
11-04-2009, 08:56 PM
My oldest DD had them a few years ago. Ped referred us to a Podiatrist. She went every few weeks where they scraped them a little each time. In between appointments, we gently scrubbed them w/ a pumice stone during bathtime, put some sort of cream on them, and then bandaged them. The process of going to the Podiatrist and getting them scraped wasn't too bad since walking on them could get a little painful at times, depending on how she stepped/walked. HTH! Good luck!

DrSally
11-04-2009, 09:38 PM
If they're hurting him, I would look at getting them removed somehow (the gentler the better). Until you go to the doc, maybe you could try putting duct tape on them (which shouldn't be too uncomfortable) and see if that helps at all.

wolverine2
11-04-2009, 10:26 PM
Yes, I heard that duct tape has been clinically proven to work even by itself. I don't know what they'd do with kids... I've been trying for close to a year to get some off my feet- go to the dermatologist every 6 weeks or so to get them "frozen" and follow up with salicylic acid/duct tape. I can't imagine a kid going through the freezing thing, but the acid/duct tape doesn't hurt. Those things are stubborn, though.