PDA

View Full Version : OT- any interesting ideas for year btw h.s. and college?

SnuggleBuggles
11-04-2009, 08:38 PM
My nephew has no idea what he wants to do with his life and will be graduating in May from high school. His parents don't want to pay for college right now because he currently hates school They are trying to come up with some ideas for him. One thought is Americorps, which is very appealing b/c they pay room and board, offer an allowance, and an educational stipend if you finish 10m plus you are helping others. Another is a trade school or something along those lines. What other things could he look at that would give him a purpose and keep him busy?

Beth

kedss
11-04-2009, 08:40 PM
Maybe he can go to a nearby community college part time and work part time, and maybe he will see that school isn't so bad?

jenfromnj
11-04-2009, 08:47 PM
I had 2 friends in this position back in the day (a long time ago now!), and both got interim jobs in the fields in which they were potentially interested (one wanted to be a chef and got a job in a restaurant, and ultimately went to culinary school, the other wanted to go into finance/banking and got a job at a bank in the back office, and ultimately decided to become a teacher, LOL). If he has any inkling of what he might be interested in, perhaps he could "test out" a job in that general area? It might be tough in this economy or if he is truly clueless about his interests and goals, but might be worth considering.

SnuggleBuggles
11-04-2009, 08:49 PM
Maybe he can go to a nearby community college part time and work part time, and maybe he will see that school isn't so bad?

That's the fall back plan. But, we can tell his heart really and truly isn't in it. It'd likely end in the same disaster high school seems to be going (smart as can be, but doesn't do the work...A's on tests, like F's on homework).

Beth

kedss
11-04-2009, 09:08 PM
if he can take classes he's really interested in, maybe that would make a difference? it would be harder to get back into school when he wants to if he doesn't at least try, I know its hard to convince a kid of that, I was that kid afew years ago. ;)

cvanbrunt
11-04-2009, 09:12 PM
A really, really, crappy job. Nothing like a taste of what his life could become if he doesn't give some thought to his future.

SnuggleBuggles
11-04-2009, 09:19 PM
if he can take classes he's really interested in, maybe that would make a difference? it would be harder to get back into school when he wants to if he doesn't at least try, I know its hard to convince a kid of that, I was that kid afew years ago. ;)
I'm trying to convince his parents that it can be really hard to get back to college if you take this year off (ime). I don't want him to close doors when he is still so young. However, he is 17 and totally invincible- and we are all wrong about things. Can't wait to have a teenager... :)

He says he isn't challenged enough in school. Plus, well, it's high school. It's not the same as college. He could do very well in college. It's so hard to know.

Beth

SnuggleBuggles
11-04-2009, 09:20 PM
A really, really, crappy job. Nothing like a taste of what his life could become if he doesn't give some thought to his future.

:thumbsup: Good plan!

Beth

bigpassport
11-04-2009, 09:21 PM
How about something fun and different that he can't do once he starts his career and family....like working for one of the National Park Service lodges or fishing in Alaska. I was lucky enough to work on a dude ranch in Wyoming for two summers and it was the best job I ever had. He has plenty of time to be productive and career-focused once he starts college.

niccig
11-04-2009, 09:25 PM

I did this on high school and college vacations. Anytime I wanted to throw in the towel, my dad would say I could do my holiday job full-time. Always got my butt back to the books. To work, his parents have to stop paying for everything and he has to support himself, pay them rent etc.

HIU8
11-04-2009, 09:32 PM
:yeahthat:

alirebco
11-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Habitat for Humanity? Or another great volunteer organization? PeaceCorps?

sste
11-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Is he interested in a trade? There are some good careers for skilled tradespeople (electrician, plumber, contractor, etc.). Maybe he can serve as an apprentice and see if he enjoys that.

Corie
11-04-2009, 09:35 PM
To work, his parents have to stop paying for everything and he has to support himself, pay them rent etc.

I totally agree with this idea. Life isn't so much fun when you've got to
pay for it! :)

bubbaray
11-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Yup, if he d/n want to continue school, he needs to leave the "nest" and support himself on whatever unskilled job he can find. I'm sure that will quickly change his outlook about life with only a highschool education.

michellerw
11-04-2009, 11:11 PM
There are a lot of gap year resources out on the web, many of which have been compiled by guidance and college counselors. The National Assn of College Admissions Counselors (NACAC) email list group maintains a bunch of lists of gap year (among other types of information) resources at pbwiki. If you google +pbwiki +"gap year" you should be able to turn it up.

You might also have him put it to his guidance counselor who is almost certainly a member of the e-list. He or she can post it and see what kind of suggestions come in, based on the experiences of others.

wellyes
11-04-2009, 11:19 PM
My best friend in college did AmeriCorp. She loved it but it was hard work and she had to learn to act like a leader to succeed in her role. She worked in a youth center with really low-income teens, and she was just 18 herself.

But she was a do-gooder to start with. A less motivated person might have a hard time -- or it might be great for him. I think it's better than a crappy job because (aside from doing good) it will help mature him. As opposed to dead end work which will may just motivate him to party a whole lot.

SnuggleBuggles
11-04-2009, 11:26 PM
How about something fun and different that he can't do once he starts his career and family....like working for one of the National Park Service lodges or fishing in Alaska. I was lucky enough to work on a dude ranch in Wyoming for two summers and it was the best job I ever had. He has plenty of time to be productive and career-focused once he starts college.

His mom suggested that to him. I'm glad you had a great experience- I will pass that on!

Beth

SnuggleBuggles
11-04-2009, 11:28 PM
Habitat for Humanity? Or another great volunteer organization? PeaceCorps?

I suggested HfH. PeaceCorps you evidently need to have some tangible skill from SIL's research.

Beth

SnuggleBuggles
11-04-2009, 11:29 PM
Is he interested in a trade? There are some good careers for skilled tradespeople (electrician, plumber, contractor, etc.). Maybe he can serve as an apprentice and see if he enjoys that.

The only thing he has expressed interest in was teaching high school history. It'd be great if there were a trade he were interested. I guess there is a little bit of interest in the culinary arts but I don't know if there is enough there to get him going.

These responses are making me feel good that I have given my brother and SIL some good starting points already. Great minds think alike. :)

Beth

SnuggleBuggles
11-04-2009, 11:30 PM
I totally agree with this idea. Life isn't so much fun when you've got to
pay for it! :)

They are planning to change the locks when he turns 18...

Beth

KpbS
11-04-2009, 11:30 PM

I agree with this but only if

his parents have to stop paying for everything and he has to support himself, pay them rent etc.

As opposed to dead end work which will may just motivate him to party a whole lot.

And this is the flip side, the danger of the crappy job if you will is the party mentality and all of the undesirable side effects that come with too much partying. :nono:

SnuggleBuggles
11-04-2009, 11:31 PM
There are a lot of gap year resources out on the web, many of which have been compiled by guidance and college counselors. The National Assn of College Admissions Counselors (NACAC) email list group maintains a bunch of lists of gap year (among other types of information) resources at pbwiki. If you google +pbwiki +"gap year" you should be able to turn it up.

You might also have him put it to his guidance counselor who is almost certainly a member of the e-list. He or she can post it and see what kind of suggestions come in, based on the experiences of others.

Thanks! He has an appointment with his guidance counselor soon so I imagine they'll go over most of these ideas. I'll google for more ideas too.

BEth

SnuggleBuggles
11-04-2009, 11:32 PM
My best friend in college did AmeriCorp. She loved it but it was hard work and she had to learn to act like a leader to succeed in her role. She worked in a youth center with really low-income teens, and she was just 18 herself.

But she was a do-gooder to start with. A less motivated person might have a hard time -- or it might be great for him. I think it's better than a crappy job because (aside from doing good) it will help mature him. As opposed to dead end work which will may just motivate him to party a whole lot.

Thank you for sharing that experience! His parents will really like to hear some accounts like that.

Beth

american_mama
11-05-2009, 12:11 AM
I slightly knew someone who volunteered for Habitat for Humanity headquarters for several months/maybe a year between high school and college. I think it's in Georgia and I had the impression he had some kind of room and board provided while he was there. I think he may also have gone on a multi-month walk, perhaps walking from the East Coast down to Georgia, where he got involved in Habitat and ending up staying.

A friend of mine worked in London for seveeral months after college through this organization: http://www.ciee.org/. Don't know if that might be an option for an 18 year old. I don't recall exactly what the organization did for her, but the end result was that she got a job at Harrod's in a Sharper Image-type section, found an apartment with other girls, and made enough money to pay her rent, live her life, and travel a little, all while living abroad.

MontrealMum
11-05-2009, 12:27 AM
My younger cousin hated school, but wanted to get the H out of the house (parents divorcing) and out from under their control. Luckily he was mature enough to understand he needed some sort of job to accomplish that, and he went to school p/t to become a welder, while working on the side. He's graduated, getting married, and he and his soon-to-be wife are going to move closer to the university so that they can both go back - her to do a full RN program, and he will do engineering! Sounds like this is not the case for your nephew, although it'd be a great compromise to do a trade and pay his own bills.

I am more familiar with people taking time off between the Bachelor's and a graduate degree, but maybe the same jobs are open at a younger age. I really don't know. Ski instructor (need some skill), or ski lift operator (less skill, but still must ski) are popular. I also know people that have worked in the summer at resorts like the Grand Tetons, or as chambermaids in posh hotels at Lake Louise. Had a friend that did cattle-herding in Australia, and another that taught drama (w/o a teaching license) at a school also in Australia. It's also big in Canada to do tree-planting - but that's just in the summer. There are some guiding things too... rafting and kayaking.

Teaching English in places like Japan is popular, but you need a Bachelor's for that.

Had another friend that just worked retail after flunking out 2 yrs through a BA, because she was all caught up in the drug scene and her parents shut the pocketbook and refused to pay for more uni until she got herself together. She eventually went back, finished the BA, got an MA and a law degree and is now a lawyer. The real world/smarten up approach worked wonders with her!

vonfirmath
11-05-2009, 12:53 AM
Honestly? I think getting out into the real world may be the best thing.

As hard as it is to go back after taking time off, it is even harder when you are having to struggle uphill against the bad grades you made that caused you to leave college in the first place... And if you get a job with the right company, you get both a future and they will help pay for the education!

crl
11-05-2009, 01:03 AM
Work at fishing resorts: summer in Alaska, winter in FL. (That would be DH's idea.)

Backpack Europe. (That would be my idea.)

Guess we're on the frivolous side of things around here.

Catherine

billysmommy
11-05-2009, 01:31 AM
A year in another country.

DH spent a year in Ecuador between HS and college. He went to school and experienced the culture there. He also became fluent in Spanish. We're going to be offering the same experience to our boys if they're interested when the time comes.

kijip
11-05-2009, 01:47 AM
Many Americore/City Year program sites have skill building trailings and information about planning for the future. It's a good way to pass some time and gain some resume building experience. I have 4 such interns at my work right now and it's great for them and great for us.

kijip
11-05-2009, 01:52 AM
As hard as it is to go back after taking time off, it is even harder when you are having to struggle uphill against the bad grades you made that caused you to leave college in the first place... And if you get a job with the right company, you get both a future and they will help pay for the education!

Yeah. Starting late with a clean academic record is better than starting right out of high school and having later goals potentially limited by mediocre to crappy grades when you lacked direction. I started college right after hs and it was great and I loved it, but I have a number of friends that started and crashed and burned, left school and then come back after maturing a bit and working/finding a goal. They then have eaten up some financial aid eligibility, marred themselves for scholarships and may have to run circles to explain the bad performance when they apply to grad or professional school. I honestly can't see why a delayed start is hard- it is certainly easier than a false start. All of the brand new but 21+ students I have know that settled down after high school with travel, a job and/or volunteer time have done way better than the 18 year olds who hated school.

kijip
11-05-2009, 01:59 AM
Just by way of information all Peace Corp and some AmeriCorp VISTA volunteers need a college degree or equivalent. Many AmeriCorp programs, some of which are designated as CityYear are open to people before, in the middle of (if someone takes a break from college) or after college. The best ones for 18 year olds usually have some sort of career development, life training components.

2 of the interns where I work get housing as part of their deal with a tiny stipend, 2 just get a stipend but it is larger, about as much as one needs to rent a cheap room and buy ramen. All will get the educational award (to either go to school or paydown loans).

SnuggleBuggles
11-05-2009, 08:50 AM
Thank you so much for all of these great replies. I came up with more to share with them. I also got my brain nudged that I have a friend who owns a fair trade business in Costa Rica that he may be able to get involved with.

Beth

hellbennt
11-05-2009, 07:23 PM
this is what I did (2 different scenarios):
I found a program where I could get some college credits abroad...
I happened to go to Israel and live/work/study on a Kibbutz, but there are many programs overseas- this is where the 'gap year' info would be handy.

I found out where 'top' colleges, or even state universities, have their overseas programs and contact the foreign university directly- it's often cheaper that way, & it it's an accredited university (it should be), then he can take classes in another country, in English, and get some college credits.
For instance: I attended the U of Haifa for a semester and it was a program taught in English- the majority of the students were from Boston University. The students from BU paid their BU tuition for the program, while I 'only' paid the U of Haifa directly and it was much cheaper...

AnnieW625
11-05-2009, 07:41 PM
My sister really hated school until she got to Jr. College and then the light kicked on. She ended up graduating from Long Beach State with honors (just below where you get cum laude on your degree) and did it in four years. I highly recommend going the jr. college route. Something like the parks service or something like what they have here in California called the California Conservation Corps, http://www.ccc.ca.gov/ might be good too. One of my dad's best friend wasn't sure what he wanted to do after he graduated from high school in 1968 so he joined the CCC. He completed their program and specialized in fire safety and ended up completing his BA or BS later and went on to a long career as a fire fighter with the Cal Dept. of Fire.

Another friend of his also joined the Army and was a smart kid so was able to go straight into warrant officer training and became a helicopter pilot with the Army while in Vietnam. The military isn't for everyone, but he did okay and ended up going back to school (I don't think he got his degree though) and has been a pilot for almost 40 years and is currently working for the federal government in Home Land Security, I think. My FIL was a product of a military family and was told there was no money to go to college so he joined the Air Force and was a jet engine mechanic for 8 yrs. from 66 to 74, and then that led to him be able to get a pilots license and teach people how to fly for private companies, and then a 20 year career with the FAA being a JEM, a JEM inspector, and later a flight inspector. He is now retired and consults for a few companies. Again the military isn't for everyone, but I have been lucky to know people who have come out with really good careers because of it.

Best of luck to your cousin! What about traveling abroad as an exchange student?

brittone2
11-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Not sure if anyone suggested this, but he might want to check out some of the "unschooling" books out there (Grace LLewelyn, etc.). Some of them get into alternative ways to get an education...internships, volunteering, etc. and they might spark some sort of interest that he would follow through with for the next year? Maybe? Most of the unschooling books are directed to kids that would traditionally be high-school age, but the ideas might provoke some ideas about how to get a "real world" education...and that might help him narrow down his career interests or solidify something he's already interested in.

If he can come up with some ways to stay busy and get some real life experience, it will probably help his college admissions (assuming he decides to go) and help him stand out a bit from peers...provided he takes his year sabbatical semi-seriously.

eta: haven't read this book but have read and heard interviews w/ the author. Again, technically geared mostly toward high school age unschoolers but I think much of it would be applicable to a new high school graduate putting off college for a year.

http://selfmadescholar.com/b/2009/07/20/adventures-in-unschooling-interview-with-blake-boles/

MommyAllison
11-05-2009, 08:13 PM
My sister planned to sail with Mercy Ships after graduating. It ended up not working out to go, but I have a friend who went a few years ago and loved it.

Drag0nflygirl
11-05-2009, 08:35 PM
I was just going to post the same idea. Totally go work on a cruise ship.