PDA

View Full Version : Gift ideas for people who have everything?

ourbabygirl
11-04-2009, 09:45 PM
So my parents are into their 60's and really don't *need* anything. They just built a beautiful new house, and other than wanting to be able to sell the old house, I can't think of anything they could use or want for Christmas! They make enough money to buy whatever they might need/ want (household items/ things to make life more 'convenient'/ clothes/ etc.), and I feel like I've gotten them a lot of sentimental gifts lately since DD was born. (We've done lots of framed pictures, photo books and photo calendars, a platter from a paint-your-plate place, gift certificate to a b&b, spa day, etc.) We also gave them a big surprise party for their 40th anniversary this fall.
What do you get someone who seems to have everything (material, that is)? I've also donated to Heifer International in honor of my mom for Mother's Day and Christmas the past couple of years, but I don't think my dad would appreciate that as much as she would. I've also thought of more 'experience' gifts for them to do together or with the grandkids, but I don't know what they would appreciate and would actually want to do.
Any other ideas? You guys always come up with great stuff, so I really value anything you can offer!

THANK YOU!:)

happymom
11-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Do they live near you? Could you buy tickets for a show (like the Wiggles or something like that) that you can all go to together- you, your parents, and the kids? That should be a memorable, enjoyable experience for everyone.

sariana
11-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Do they have a yard? Could you and/or the kids give them something to plant in the yard that represents your children in some way? I can't really think of an example, but "plant" was the first thing that came to mind when I started to read your post.

Some families have a special plant in honor or memory of someone.

I thought about suggesting planting a tree through an organization, but you indicated that your dad might not be into that sort of thing.

Or, there are places you can buy a star and name it after someone. :) You get a star chart and everything.

hbridge
11-04-2009, 10:04 PM
I try to do things that the recipient would never think to get for themselves. For example, my mother is getting a LEGO speaker for her IPOD. It's not expensive, but she would never even think to buy one for herself, but she will use it. I also framed a piece of DC's art that she always loved (she thinks I tossed it...). I try to make it about the thought, not the item.

This year my parents are getting smaller fun gifts and less clothes and stuff. They can buy what they need, this is about having fun and what we think they would enjoy...

misshollygolightly
11-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Last year, we bought my in-laws airline gift certificates to help defray the costs so they can visit us more often. Would they visit us regularly without this? Of course! But they still seemed really pleased by it--I printed up some little gift certificates and "brochures" and things on our computer entitling them to a weekend stay at "The X Family Bed and Breakfast" (our house), a fresh batch of cookies on arrival, and all the entertainment they could handle (courtesy of DS). I put the airline gift certificates, homemade brochures, and some real maps and brochures for local attractions in a little folder and put a big bow on it. Huge hit!

Some other ideas for people who have everything: lessons for something they've always wanted but never tried or else want to do better (cooking, new musical instrument, fly fishing, quilting, ballroom dancing, etc.); a year-long state parks pass; tickets or a season membership to local symphony/opera/theater; netflix subscription.

Good luck!

DrSally
11-04-2009, 10:10 PM
A few years ago, I gave my parents tickets to a play I knew they'd like at a playhouse close to them.

MamaKath
11-04-2009, 10:18 PM
We have done group gifts (chipping in for gc's to their favorite restaurant, a new piece for their collections of ______, tickets to a show) from all the kids.

We have made gifts (canvas shopping totes, table cloths, blankets with every family members hand print on them) with the kids.

We have done tons of the photos, personalized gifts, etc. My folks love to be outside, so I know they have enjoyed special stepping stones (purchased and hand made) and items for their gardens. Also things that they might not buy themselves, but can enjoy if I put it together (digital photo keychain that I loaded for my mom).

Other thought might be a coupon book for a variety of things that you can do throughout the year. Things like dropping off a meal, spending an afternoon at a park having a picnic with their grandchild, etc. A friend of mine does her own "______ of the month club" for various people in her family based on their interests. It might be books for one family member (she hits the clearance racks), crafts for another (she did yarn each month for a knitter), or coffee (new flavors each month). The hardest part is the shipping, it is easier if you live closer to your family (she doesn't live even relatively close). Then they know you are thinking of them all year long.

Here is a link with ideas you can make, not sure how old your dc is and if they are able to help make something...
http://familycrafts.about.com/od/giftstomake/tp/HomeMadeGiftIdeas.htm

MamaKath
11-04-2009, 10:21 PM
a year-long state parks pass;
Oh this would be cool for the National Parks system too. They have passport books that can be stamped!

Forgot another one we have done. You could purchase a family membership for the folks at a museum that they would enjoy and could bring their grandkids to on visits. It could be local or in a metropolitan area that they enjoy visiting.

jent
11-04-2009, 10:23 PM
I've posted the same question before, and I got a few good ideas but I'm still on the lookout for a few more. Two ideas that I recall from my thread: 1) www.giftybox.com (an experience gift) and 2) http://simplysilhouettes.com/cap.html (a sentimental gift).

Waiting to hear what responses you get to this thread!

wellyes
11-04-2009, 10:37 PM
OK this be waaaaaay out there, but I thought I'd mention it. If you're considering a group gift or very very generous gift, think about creating a donor-advised charitable foundation in their name.

How it works is that you give the fund cash or securities worth xx amount. Minimum is usually $5000 at a brokerage. They then set up a charitable foundation with that money - you name it whatever you wish (perhaps "The John and Julia Smith Foundation" or "The Smith Family of Iowa Foundation"). They can leave it so it grows interest. Whenever they'd like, they can send out a charitable contribution from their fund. When they pass on, they can name another family member as a successor to the fund so that it can live on.

I just think it's such a nice idea. I know $5000 is a lot of money, but I love that you can buy a private philanthropic foundation for that much. It can become a very important family tradition to give to (and from) your fund and it can live on for generations.

happymom
11-04-2009, 10:48 PM
Oh, also a year's subscription to a magazine that they would each enjoy (maybe 2 diff ones) is a nice gift. And this idea is a bit crazy, but maybe they would appreciate some beautiful fish in a tank with all the accessories....I know thats something that would never occur to my parents to get for themselves, but they would really enjoy it!

boolady
11-04-2009, 11:42 PM
Do they like to travel? What about a gift certificate to selectregistry.com? They can choose a bed and breakfast from any in the registry and it comes nicely boxed with one of the books showing all of the participating B&Bs and inns.

infomama
11-05-2009, 12:05 AM
If they don't need/want anything material then I wouldn't strain my brain thinking of a material gift. I would opt for an experience type gift like tickets to the symphony, in box seats, with a car service. I would top that with a little something to remember the night with like a beautiful scarf or clutch for your mom and perhaps an embroidered hankee for your dad.

Give them the royal treatment...my guess is they will cherish that memory much more than something else.

However, I know my mom adores the family pictures I arranged to be done a few summers ago while we were vacationing together in New England. We took care of the planning and then told her to order whatever she wanted..that it was all taken care of.

elektra
11-05-2009, 12:10 AM
When we lived in Santa Barbara, a co-worker friend of mine was dating an uber-rich guy that we also became friends with. For his birthday we(well actually DH) made him this candleholder thing that DH designed and made out of wood. The guy LOVED it. It meant alot to him that we actually made something.

Bryan mom
11-05-2009, 08:52 PM
how about a digital picture frame loaded with pictures?

do they have automatic tooth brushes? (just a thought)

newnana
11-05-2009, 10:05 PM
Our parents are hard to buy for, too.

Both my parents and IL's loved the digital picture frame loaded with photos. And I had brother's and other family members send us ones to put on there so they weren't all of DD.

My mom's favorite all time gift was something that her cousin put together. She took old videos of my mom's family (we're talking black and white video's from before they filmed with sound) up through the time my grandparents passed away and put them on a DVD all spliced together. Amazing. And cousin's mom in the early 80's had gotten all the siblings together to tell family stories after one of the family weddings. It was obvious at first that nobody wanted to do it, but as siblings, they all got really into it. Hearing her mother's voice again and all the stories she used to tell really got her crying in a good way. It's couldn't have meant more to her.

So on that note, dig up old videos and compile them. Get current family members to reminisce and record it. Preserve that family history and put it together. Mom's cousin sent it out to everyone. It was univerally the best gift they all had ever recieved.

happymom
11-05-2009, 11:44 PM
Just thought of another one- buying them a set of DVD's of a favorite oldies show that they enjoy ("I Love Lucy" etc). Again, even though they could technically afford it- it will show that you put thought into it and it may not be something they would think of to buy themselves.

wellyes
11-06-2009, 09:03 AM
Oh! In the spirit of some of the previous post - how about taking all their old 35 mm film & sending it out to be digitized? Give them a CD of all the photos of you guys growing up. It's not really that expensive but I'm sure they'd be thrilled (if they use PCs).

wendibird22
11-06-2009, 10:27 AM
What about food? I sent my dad Omaha Steaks package last year. What man doesn't like meat delivered to his door? QVC has lots of food packages that are special like cheesecakes, lobsters, etc...things people probably don't normally by for themselves but would enjoy eating.

sste
11-06-2009, 10:30 AM
This year we are doing the photo calendar and an etsy "auto-sneeze" (kleenex holder for car that DH and I love and so will our similarly allergy-ridden relatives!).

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=33837192&ref=sr_gallery_1&&ga_search_query=auto+sneeze&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=&order=date_desc&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title

almostmom
11-06-2009, 10:45 AM
What about a cool thermometer from a place like Brookstone? They have ones that are digital and read the temp inside and out. My dad loved that gift when he got it.

leeni8
12-02-2009, 11:44 PM
Don't know if your parents would be into this, but my mom had lots of old photos lying around and I gave her a gift certificate to ScanCafe, which scans your old photos and gives them back on a CD or DVD. Check out their website - it explains everything. I was a little hesitate to send away our precious photos but they are very good about giving you tracking info and updates. Just a thought...

www.scancafe.com

Good luck!

gatorsmom
12-03-2009, 04:37 AM
Someone mentioned this lady on this board. She takes your children's artwork and creates jewelry from it. She is very good and it's such a neat way to preserve your childrens' art. I've been thinking about doing that for my MIL's birthday. but, I cant remember this artist's name.

Anyone here remember?

egoldber
12-03-2009, 08:03 AM
We always get our ILs a photobook of the kids for the year at Shutterfly. Soemthing they would never do and they love it so they can show their friends when they come over, etc.