PDA

View Full Version : Help me get healthy!

conniez
11-05-2009, 06:38 AM
I can't seem to find the motivation to start exercising, even though I know it would do me a world of good. I lost all my baby weight bf'ing, but gained some back when DD started on solids. Now I'm about 6 lbs. over my pre-preg. weight. It doesn't help that I'm not a nature girl & I'm a germaphobe, because that eliminates walks outdoors. Any ideas on how I can get motivated to eat better and start exercising?

sewarsh
11-05-2009, 09:11 AM
Same thing happened to me after BFing with BOTH my kids...i gained 3lb with DD & 6 with DS whose 14 months nad i still have those 6 lbs to lose. given i'm only 5'0'', thats a lot of weight.

i just have remind myself that losing those pounds is important for my state of mind, and thereofore, my marriage. that said, did i mention i still have those 6 stingy lbs to lose!!!

i personally LOVE pilates and highly recommend.

JBaxter
11-05-2009, 09:39 AM
I can't seem to find the motivation to start exercising, even though I know it would do me a world of good. I lost all my baby weight bf'ing, but gained some back when DD started on solids. Now I'm about 6 lbs. over my pre-preg. weight. It doesn't help that I'm not a nature girl & I'm a germaphobe, because that eliminates walks outdoors. Any ideas on how I can get motivated to eat better and start exercising?

Why would being a germaphobe negate walking outside? I open my windows and air out the stale air in my house every chance I get even in the winter. Getting out and moving is the only way I can loose weight. The gym is way more germy than any walk in the park.

elephantmeg
11-05-2009, 01:17 PM
myfitnesspal.com I'm loving it. And if I want to eat more I have to exercise it off. If I can't hit the gym then I do wii active (I did the long hard setting yesterday and thought I woud die!), a video etc...

conniez
11-05-2009, 02:42 PM
i still have those 6 lbs to lose. given i'm only 5'0'', thats a lot of weight.

That's exactly the situation I'm in! I get tired of hearing people say, "oh you're small, so you can't be fat!" NOT true! I just have less space for the fat to redistribute itself :ROTFLMAO: Even petite people have problems. I know how my clothes are fitting me & I'm not liking this fanny pack I have hanging over the waist of my jeans. :(

conniez
11-05-2009, 02:45 PM
Why would being a germaphobe negate walking outside? I open my windows and air out the stale air in my house every chance I get even in the winter. Getting out and moving is the only way I can loose weight. The gym is way more germy than any walk in the park.

I don't have a gym membership so I'd probably try to work out at home. I spent my childhood swollen from bug & spider bites, so I guess that relates more to not wanting to be outside because of nature/bugs.

myfitnesspal.com I'm loving it. And if I want to eat more I have to exercise it off. If I can't hit the gym then I do wii active (I did the long hard setting yesterday and thought I woud die!), a video etc...

Thanks for the site! I'm going to check it out right now. It would be great if I had time to meet up with one of my friends/cousins so I had someone to keep me accountable. It's tough when everyone's either busy with work or they have kids.

Piglet
11-05-2009, 03:11 PM
I think that in many things in life you have to hit a personal "rock bottom" before you can get motivated to make changes. I think that 6 lbs is not so much that it triggers that kind of point of no return. It is sort of on your mind, but not enough to get your butt moving, you know? Lets put it this way, if you were at the point that you were truly motivated to make positive life changes, you wouldn't be so fussed about bug bites. It sounds to me like you need some sort of motivation - maybe you need a reward for yourself for losing the weight or you need a work out buddy or a plan like WW that has meetings to keep you in check. For me the last 5 pounds are not something I worry about. It is the first 30 lbs that scare me and the last 5 don't even register, but again, that is becuse by the time there are 5 left, I am no longer motivated like I was when it was 30!

egoldber
11-05-2009, 04:11 PM
I think that in many things in life you have to hit a personal "rock bottom" before you can get motivated to make changes. I think that 6 lbs is not so much that it triggers that kind of point of no return. It is sort of on your mind, but not enough to get your butt moving, you know? Lets put it this way, if you were at the point that you were truly motivated to make positive life changes, you wouldn't be so fussed about bug bites. It sounds to me like you need some sort of motivation - maybe you need a reward for yourself for losing the weight or you need a work out buddy or a plan like WW that has meetings to keep you in check. For me the last 5 pounds are not something I worry about. It is the first 30 lbs that scare me and the last 5 don't even register, but again, that is becuse by the time there are 5 left, I am no longer motivated like I was when it was 30!

:yeahthat: I am so with you here. I can 5-10 pounds overweight and it bugs me, but not in a huge way. but when I hit 30, OMG I am motivated. Or when I start to get winded playing with my kids.

Also for me, when other things in my life are overwhelming, I can't deal with exercise and weight loss. I just don't have the mental energy to spare. It's like I can only focus on one big personal thing at a time.

OP, I don't know where you live, but I am really with you on the bugs. I get terrible bug bites. But right now it's generally not bad in most locations. Fall and early spring are the best times for outdoor walks and exercise. I am loving running in the crisp clear weather. :)

conniez
11-05-2009, 04:51 PM
I forgot to add that I'm still nursing my 21 mo. old & most fitness websites don't take that into acct. when they give you the estimated calorie intake per day.

Piglet
11-05-2009, 06:42 PM
I forgot to add that I'm still nursing my 21 mo. old & most fitness websites don't take that into acct. when they give you the estimated calorie intake per day.

Ahhh, if you are still nursing, the 5 pounds might be stuck until you are done. I always lost most my PG weight quickyl but held onto 5-10 lbs in reserve when I was nursing. Once I stopped, the weight melted off. I always thought it was a cruel joke that people tell you nursing takes off the weight - for me it kept it on. Then poof one day it was gone.