PDA

View Full Version : Where do you live? See map before voting in poll!

arivecchi
11-05-2009, 12:05 PM
To figure out where most posters live. :D

Use this map:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.mapsofworld.com/usa/usa-maps/usa-regional-map.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.mapsofworld.com/usa/usa-maps/united-states-regional-maps.html&h=595&w=800&sz=108&tbnid=hmgtuZr6mKuogM:&tbnh=106&tbnw=143&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmap%2Bof%2Bus%2Bregions&hl=en&usg=__BFmZ-2S_QEd-xGhsB8E9Ri6aUvI=&ei=CfjySpTFNIHaNYrV9OgF&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=3&ct=image&ved=0CAsQ9QEwAg

ha98ed14
11-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Hey, Would you mind if I set it up as a poll??? I think it will be fun to see a graph! (The math teacher in me loves it!)

sunshine873
11-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Oooo, make it a poll! (says the girl who doesn't know how to make a poll.)

arivecchi
11-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Just added one. :D

BabyMine
11-05-2009, 12:12 PM
I'm in Florida

MamaMolly
11-05-2009, 12:13 PM
We are outside the US mainland again, but when in the US I've only lived on the East Coast. The farthest west was Chicago, north was Virginia and I grew up in the DEEEEEP south in Georgia.

newg
11-05-2009, 12:17 PM
We live in southern Ohio.....so, though technically Great Lakes.....we're right on the edge of the Southeast border too...

arivecchi
11-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Lots of Southeast posters so far.....

boolady
11-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Mid-Atlantic.

ha98ed14
11-05-2009, 12:26 PM
It's funny to see how Google breaks it up! I don't think of NM as Rocky Mountain. And I would have put Iowa in with IL.

arivecchi
11-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Wow. No one from the Pacific Alaska region?

ha98ed14
11-05-2009, 12:59 PM
This is based on complete hearsay, but I have heard that there aren't a lot of women of child bearing age in AK. Since this board caters to that audience, maybe there isn't anyone in AK who reads us.

Reyadawnbringer
11-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Wow. No one from the Pacific Alaska region?

I use to. I lived in OR/WA for a long time but have been in TX now for going on 4 or 5 years.

arivecchi
11-05-2009, 01:12 PM
Someone finally voted for Pacific Alaska. :cheerleader1: It's early there as well, so that could be it.

kijip
11-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Apparently Pacific Alaska. I had no idea.

For some reason we that live here seem to think we live in Pacific NW or just NW.

manda
11-05-2009, 01:20 PM
I agree with PP that it is interesting how the country is broken up. Being from AZ I would never consider it Pacific.

arivecchi
11-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Apparently Pacific Alaska. I had no idea.

For some reason we that live here seem to think we live in Pacific NW or just NW. I thought that was odd too, but I just went with the regions in the map I chose. There were tons of maps out there! Sigh, I can never make everyone happy. :(

kijip
11-05-2009, 01:22 PM
This is based on complete hearsay, but I have heard that there aren't a lot of women of child bearing age in AK. Since this board caters to that audience, maybe there isn't anyone in AK who reads us.

WA has the largest population center by far in what the map labels Pacific Alaska. I would be willing to guess that most of the moms in that area on this board are WA and OR moms. Though more of the posters here seem to be East Coast IIRC from past polls.

kijip
11-05-2009, 01:27 PM
I thought that was odd too, but I just went with the regions in the map I chose. There were tons of maps out there! Sigh, I can never make everyone happy. :(

I am not unhappy. I am just surprised! Apparently I live in Pacific Alaska. No particle of unhappiness here. Sorry if I sounded cross, really I am just tired from my reverse cycling hungry 10 month old :love-retry:

Unused name places amuse me. A group just renamed the body of water formed by the Strait of Juan de Fuca and Puget Sound "the Salish Sea". I had no idea I lived on the Salish Sea either. Somehow I don't see it catching on with all the Puget Sound based names here. :)

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
11-05-2009, 01:34 PM
I agree with PP that it is interesting how the country is broken up. Being from AZ I would never consider it Pacific.

:yeahthat:
We are SO totally South West! I grew up in NorCAl, that is Pacific. In NorAz we are SW, with a Rocky Mountain climate...

kijip
11-05-2009, 01:41 PM
What's up with AR, LA, TX and OK being the "southwest"? That is far odder than Pacific Alaska, considering LA and AK seem pretty darn east from where I am sitting :) Interesting to know the geography and history behind the names.

MontrealMum
11-05-2009, 01:43 PM
I would have voted NE, but realized that your map only included the US, so I voted "foreign country". Usually the region I live in is either referred to as the NE or Eastern Canada. Grew up in the heart of the Great Lakes.

arivecchi
11-05-2009, 01:44 PM
I am not unhappy. I am just surprised! Apparently I live in Pacific Alaska. No particle of unhappiness here. Sorry if I sounded cross, really I am just tired from my reverse cycling hungry 10 month old :love-retry::ROTFLMAO: It's always hard to please all the smart mommies here. :D My area would normally be considered Midwest, but it is also often referred to as the Great Lakes area. The maps I looked at all had different names and breakdowns. I simply picked one that seemed easy to read. :)

MontrealMum
11-05-2009, 01:48 PM
:ROTFLMAO:It's always hard to please all the smart mommies here. :D My area would normally be considered Midwest, but it is also often referred to as the Great Lakes area. The maps I looked at all had different names and breakdowns. I simply picked one that seemed easy to read. :)

I tend to use both, but only because I grew up in the Great Lakes State :) Maybe we have a geographer on here who can discuss the naming/defining of regions. All I can say in my field is that people are using multiple designations for the same places. Some overlap, and some do not. It's confusing to keep track of it all!

bigpassport
11-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Oops. I didn't follow the instructions. I put Southwest in the poll but according to the map, I'm Pacific. Sorry:duh:

Snow mom
11-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Yeah, I don't like their divisions AT ALL (not blaming the OP, just commenting.) Officially I live in the "Southwest" although I'd consider Texas it's own region or part of the southeast. When I think southwest I think AZ and NM.

rlu
11-05-2009, 01:58 PM
heh, thanks for doing the poll. I thought about doing it last night when I posted on the age poll, but it was midnight and I was tired.

CA checking in.

Reyadawnbringer
11-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Yeah, I don't like their divisions AT ALL (not blaming the OP, just commenting.) Officially I live in the "Southwest" although I'd consider Texas it's own region or part of the southeast. When I think southwest I think AZ and NM.

:yeahthat:

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

ha98ed14
11-05-2009, 02:14 PM
WA has the largest population center by far in what the map labels Pacific Alaska. I would be willing to guess that most of the moms in that area on this board are WA and OR moms. Though more of the posters here seem to be East Coast IIRC from past polls.

OMG! I had no idea that Pacific Alaska included WA and OR. I thought it just meant plain ol' Alaska all by itself. Usually HI and AK are together. What did they do with HI? I guess this makes me look pretty stupid, tho, huh? You know, as opposed to all the people who live in Atlantic Alaska... :ROTFLMAO:(maybe that's a new name for Greenland...)

Reyadawnbringer
11-05-2009, 02:20 PM
I guess when I picture the regions I see it more like this:

US Census regions (http://www.census.gov/geo/www/us_regdiv.pdf)

elektra
11-05-2009, 02:25 PM
What's up with AR, LA, TX and OK being the "southwest"? That is far odder than Pacific Alaska, considering LA and AK seem pretty darn east from where I am sitting :) Interesting to know the geography and history behind the names.

Texas has always been "Southwest" no?
But I would have thought Washington would be "Northwest".

Pacific here!

AnnieW625
11-05-2009, 02:26 PM
I voted for Southwest over Pacific. I live in Lakewood near Long Beach (30 min. south of Downtown LA) and because of the SW designation by some people we get the friggin Dallas Cowboy games each week over my beloved SF 49ers! I do think of myself as a Pacific girl though.

I will say that I do understand anonymity when it comes to posting on message boards, but it would be soo helpful if everyone posted their region, city or state in the option for location. It's very helpful when recommending strollers (a SF mom will need a better stroller than a Mac Triumph for everyday use and will want something with a good brake vs. the mom who lives in the flats like me) or other baby items and where to find them. Just my .02!

FWIW, here is a fun fact, go look at a map of California and Nevada, preferably a topographical one and you will see that Los Angeles, CA, which is on the Pacific Ocean is further east than Reno, NV!

klwa
11-05-2009, 02:41 PM
I HAD to check the map since sometimes NC is considered mid-Atlantic and not SE. Of course, any self repecting NC'er will tell you that we're in the South East. IT's those crazy outliers who don't understand. Luckily, Google is right. :P

DietCokeLover
11-05-2009, 03:09 PM

I agree. I live in Arkansas and would NEVER call this the southwest.

arivecchi
11-05-2009, 03:55 PM
So far it looks like most posters are in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Great Lakes and Pacific regions. That makes sense.

SM23Mama21
11-05-2009, 04:29 PM

Um...there are a lot of women of child bearing age in AK.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
11-05-2009, 04:50 PM

I can think of a few, not from the BBB but from the GOP. SO, sorry it was too easy to pass up!:ROTFLMAO:

Reyadawnbringer
11-05-2009, 04:51 PM
I can think of a few, not from the BBB but from the GOP. SO, sorry it was too easy to pass up!:ROTFLMAO:

AHAHAHAHA! That was great!

mominma
11-05-2009, 05:50 PM
We are in Massachusetts.

Gena
11-05-2009, 07:13 PM
We live in southern Ohio.....so, though technically Great Lakes.....we're right on the edge of the Southeast border too...

We're on southern Ohio too (Dayton). :wavey:

But since we only moved here a few years ago from Michigan, I do very much consider myself a Great Lakes peson.

mom2binsd
11-05-2009, 07:47 PM
I'm in beautiful Bloomington IL, home of State Farm, Country Insurance, Illinois State University, Illinois Wesleyan University and BEER NUTS ....I agree it's always nice to at least have an idea where a poster lives, even if it's a general area.

kijip
11-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Texas has always been "Southwest" no?
But I would have thought Washington would be "Northwest".

Texas is SW, yes. Louisiana and Arkansas? Not so much. Unless we are pre-Louisiana purchase days. :)

kijip
11-05-2009, 08:05 PM

There are not a lot of people period in Alaska as it is one of the least populated states in the union. There are 10,000,000 people or so in WA and OR and under 700K in Alaska. For that matter relative to large states, there are not a lot of people in all WA, OR, ID and Alaska combined. One California, Texas, Florida, big Easter state is far larger. It makes sense that there are relatively fewer posters in many areas and states. I would assume many posters are in CA, FL, TX, and the NE.

edurnemk
11-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Currently in Texas, but we'll be moving within a month either to Ohio or outside the US. We used to live n Chicago before.

MamaKath
11-05-2009, 11:28 PM
It's funny to see how Google breaks it up!
I was also surprised by their breakdown, kind of odd!