View Full Version : New Seat Belt Innovation

ilfaith
11-05-2009, 01:18 PM
Inflatable seat belts from Ford.

From this morning on Today...

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/33652035#33652035

KrisM
11-05-2009, 01:27 PM
Pretty neat looking. Wouldn't have helped the little girl in the story though.

niccig
11-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Pretty neat looking. Wouldn't have helped the little girl in the story though.

Yeah. The little girl was injured because she put the shoulder part of the belt BEHIND her back. The inflatable seatbelt is just on the shoulder part of the seat belt. She still would have been hurt by the lap part. I think it's a good innovation of Ford as you can get bruising from the seatbelt and it HURTS. But they needed to say use a booster and DON'T let your kids put the seatbelt behind their back.

vonfirmath
11-05-2009, 02:11 PM
Maybe they are saying it'd have helped her cause the new seatbelts are padded, so she'd be less likely to put it behind her back because it was comfortable.

Reyadawnbringer
11-05-2009, 02:15 PM
Yeah. The little girl was injured because she put the shoulder part of the belt BEHIND her back. The inflatable seatbelt is just on the shoulder part of the seat belt. She still would have been hurt by the lap part. I think it's a good innovation of Ford as you can get bruising from the seatbelt and it HURTS. But they needed to say use a booster and DON'T let your kids put the seatbelt behind their back.

:yeahthat:

KrisM
11-07-2009, 12:53 AM
I've been bruised by the seatbelt too.

I wonder how it'll work with a carseat though. I would think that an inflating seat belt will change the installation of the carseat. I wouldn't want any of my seatbelts inflating right now, since they're holding the carseats in.

vonfirmath
11-07-2009, 01:02 AM
There's a lot of questions about this over at car-seat.org. But people seem more positive than I expected!

mariza
11-07-2009, 01:18 AM
I would have liked to hear them mention extended 5-point harnessing, but I guess the story was more about the new seat belts than keeping kids as safe as possible in a harnessed seat :(