PDA

View Full Version : Help- Quick, I need I new Washer...

nofeea
11-05-2009, 03:05 PM
I like Top Loaders and I need to pick a new one ASAP. I'm used to the ones with the regular full length agitators but I saw the ones that have the really low ones that give you all the extra space (You can fit a whole comforter in there!) I read some lousy reviews, though, that make me worry about the laundry twisting and wrinkling/tangling too much without the regular tall agitator. (Am I making sense?) I'm rushing b/c I really want to make a decision today...I don't know how long we can go without clean clothes! Then there are the "fancy" ones aka twice the price, digital more energy efficient, etc. Are they in any worth it- or just more parts to break?
Any quick advice appreciated!!

Indianamom2
11-05-2009, 03:11 PM
I love our Maytag Bravos. We got it this spring (maybe 6 months ago?) and it has seen a TON of use, since we had a ton of laundry backed up and then added a new baby to the mix who spits up A TON.

That washer holds a huge amount of laundry...it's wonderful. I have washed a king-size comforter with no problem (more like a very heavy thick plush quilt than a fluffy comforter), several sets of sheets, and more clothes than any household should have in a week and everything has come out fine. There is a special setting for sheets and bulky items. Honestly, tangling hasn't been a problem for me. Yes, sometimes there is some, but it's no worse than my old, very cheap regular top-loading, tall agitator model.

So far, I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

(It also has a sanitizing cycle, but I haven't tried it out yet.)

Christina

bluestarfish18
11-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Our super duer fancy toploading Neptune died on us a month ago, after only a few years a use. After 2 failed repairs, we decided just to scrap it and get a cheaper, easier to repair GE. We now have a $300 toploading, low agitator washer that I'm in love with! The fabric softener loads directly into the agitator, which can be a pain if you forget to load it until all your clothes are loaded. But it's great for the price!

nofeea
11-05-2009, 03:18 PM
I love our Maytag Bravos. We got it this spring (maybe 6 months ago?) and it has seen a TON of use, since we had a ton of laundry backed up and then added a new baby to the mix who spits up A TON.

That washer holds a huge amount of laundry...it's wonderful. I have washed a king-size comforter with no problem (more like a very heavy thick plush quilt than a fluffy comforter), several sets of sheets, and more clothes than any household should have in a week and everything has come out fine. There is a special setting for sheets and bulky items. Honestly, tangling hasn't been a problem for me. Yes, sometimes there is some, but it's no worse than my old, very cheap regular top-loading, tall agitator model.

So far, I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

(It also has a sanitizing cycle, but I haven't tried it out yet.)

Christina

I saw that model this morning. It looked very cool and tempting. I was wondering if I could justify the price to DH (twice what the 'regular' washers were going for.) Also I wondered if that electronic panel breaks more easily than the regular old manual dials.... But oh...it looks so cool...and when you have the chance to get a new model...how tempting!

Indianamom2
11-05-2009, 03:21 PM
As a disclaimer, I got a sweet deal on my washer/dryer through the Whirlpool VIP program. Dh's firm works with Whirlpool and so we got a substantial discount, plus bought during a promotion, so I basically got the washer and dryer for 50% off (or buy one, get one free). Otherwise, I would never have been able to afford them.

I too, wonder about the electronic panel (it plays a little song when you turn it on or open the door!), but so far, so good.

Christina

AnnieW625
11-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Our super duer fancy toploading Neptune died on us a month ago, after only a few years a use. After 2 failed repairs, we decided just to scrap it and get a cheaper, easier to repair GE. We now have a $300 toploading, low agitator washer that I'm in love with! The fabric softener loads directly into the agitator, which can be a pain if you forget to load it until all your clothes are loaded. But it's great for the price!

Can't comment on the Neptune (I have heard that is the model that is bankrupting Maytag!), but my parents just got a traditional top loading GE and they seem to be very happy with it. I have a front loading machine this time, but next time I am definitely going back to an HE top loader.

Fairy
11-05-2009, 03:43 PM
I have nothing for you, but I'm watching this thread carefully, as I'm RIGHT behind you and also prefer top loaders . . .

nofeea
11-05-2009, 06:53 PM
DH decided we need a high efficiency so I went with the Maytag Bravo(s?). I'm still nervous but I had to make a choice fast and it seemed to have the better of the few reviews I found. I also liked the compartments to put in the detergent and fabric softener etc. Some of the other models seemed more difficult or breakable. (And DD LOVES the glass top...she can't wait to watch the laundry spin!!)
Thanks for all your input!!

happymom
11-05-2009, 06:57 PM
DH actually owns an appliance business- sells, installs and repairs all major appliances. Since he repairs, he really knows whcih ones are good because he sees which he gets the most service calls for! Unfortunately he is napping right now so I cant ask him for an exact recommendation. I can tell you for sure though that the fancier ones break more and are more expensive to repair. So your gut feeling about buying manual over computerized is correct! Actually, you know what? We bought new machines about a year ago- I'll go check what they are. They must be decent or DH wouldnt have chosen them! Be right back.....

happymom
11-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Well I checked my washer/dryer quickly and all I can tell you is that both are Whirlpool with manual knobs. I wanted to check the model # for you but DD was SHRIEKING! Anyways, I have a feeling you already bought one by now....

LD92599
11-05-2009, 08:11 PM
We just bought a Bravos also about a month ago and love it, so far! We can fit a TON in it!

nofeea
11-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Well I checked my washer/dryer quickly and all I can tell you is that both are Whirlpool with manual knobs. I wanted to check the model # for you but DD was SHRIEKING! Anyways, I have a feeling you already bought one by now....

Hee hee...Yup, DH wanted this to be over and done... But as it turned out we realized that we have some plumbing issues and really needed the high efficiency machines which pretty much ruled out the manual knobs... Oh well... Thanks for checking! (Actually my original repairman recommended the Whirlpools also but he didn't know about our house plumbing issues :( )

nofeea
11-05-2009, 08:33 PM
We just bought a Bravos also about a month ago and love it, so far! We can fit a TON in it!

Thank you for another vote of encouragement! Maybe I can avoid buyer's remorse and panic that I picked the wrong one in a hurry :)
It's being delivered on Monday (Someone else got the last model in the store) so I have until then to obsess ;)

Bryan mom
11-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Word of caution in case you were thinking of buying from Sears.
I ordered a washing machine from them online last year and clicked on "Next Day Delivery". Needless to say, it didn't come the next day. Something about their inventory on the website is not accurate. It came 3-4 weeks later.

Fairy
11-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Is the glass top sturdy enough to sit on? DD, I mean? I don't know what I'll do if I have to give up that ability for DS to sit on top of the washer while we get him ready to go out the door (shoes, etc.). We call it "baby staging."

Really, it's our dryer that's currently not so good. It's a 22 year old dryer (for real), so not too shabby! But it needs two full cycles on Heavy High to dry a load, so it's time. The vent and tubing is all full of lint we need to vacuum suck out of there. Which is likely adding to the problem.

I dont' want a new fangled gizmo'd model. Plain old buttons and knobs! Give me a computer, security system, fridge with a TV in it, fine! But please, don't complicate my washer and dryer!

ThreeofUs
11-05-2009, 11:06 PM
But it needs two full cycles on Heavy High to dry a load, so it's time. The vent and tubing is all full of lint we need to vacuum suck out of there. Which is likely adding to the problem.

Heya, Hil, I thought my dryer was dead, too, until I cleaned it out and replaced the tubing. Now it's fine. The lint just might be THE problem. Vacuum/brush it out and see.

happymom
11-05-2009, 11:10 PM
Heya, Hil, I thought my dryer was dead, too, until I cleaned it out and replaced the tubing. Now it's fine. The lint just might be THE problem. Vacuum/brush it out and see.

Yup, thats exactly what I was gonna say. DH sees this all. the. time. Have the vent cleaned out and you just may be be fine! (even if you DO replace the dryer, you will need the vent to be clear) One way to check if this is indeed the problem, is to disconnect the vent from the back of the dryer and dry one load- it will get a bit dusty in the air because the vent is disconnected. However, if it dries well, then you'll know you dont need a new dryer! HTH!

niccig
11-06-2009, 02:15 AM
Yup, thats exactly what I was gonna say. DH sees this all. the. time. Have the vent cleaned out and you just may be be fine! (even if you DO replace the dryer, you will need the vent to be clear) One way to check if this is indeed the problem, is to disconnect the vent from the back of the dryer and dry one load- it will get a bit dusty in the air because the vent is disconnected. However, if it dries well, then you'll know you dont need a new dryer! HTH!

We had someone like your DH out when the dryer stopped. I was hoping I could get a matching set in a PRETTY colour. Turns out the lint had backed up. He had to take it all apart to vacuum it up - and you need a professional for that, don't do it yourself. Once he cleaned it out, and replaced an inexpensive part, it was fine. He also told me to clean the vent line regularly - back up of lint can also cause a fire, this actually happened to family friends. Instead of paying someone, I bought an attachment that you put on a cordless drill, and you stand outside where the vent comes out of your house, feed it in and it cleans it out. We only have 5 ft to clear out, but I was surprised at how much lint was stuck in that ducting. We do it about once a year and get much less - DH HATES doing it because it's a bit of a pain to unattach the dryer from the ducting, because of how our machines are placed. But the rest is easy.

Fairy
11-06-2009, 03:19 AM
Ok, I'm convinced! We had our ducts cleaned a few years ago. Do I need the HVAC people to do that one, too, or just washer/dryer repair folks?

N, glad you got your new washer!

JTsMom
11-06-2009, 07:40 AM
We're putting Bravos in our new house. I haven't used them yet, but I did a lot of research, and I think they are an excellent choice. Hope you love them!

Fairy- the top of the washer looks pretty sturdy to me. DS is so rough with things, I wanted to make sure it didn't scream hazzard to me.

nofeea
11-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Is the glass top sturdy enough to sit on? DD, I mean? I don't know what I'll do if I have to give up that ability for DS to sit on top of the washer while we get him ready to go out the door (shoes, etc.). We call it "baby staging."

The top looked pretty sturdy but I checked it out in 2 different appliance stores and one had a regular metal top instead of the glass so I guess you have the option. (The glass is pretty cool though...)
Now if only the whole thing works ;)

Thanks again everyone!!

niccig
11-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Ok, I'm convinced! We had our ducts cleaned a few years ago. Do I need the HVAC people to do that one, too, or just washer/dryer repair folks?

N, glad you got your new washer!

The washer repair folks can clean lint from INSIDE of the dryer.

The duct is done by people that clean ducts - we always get flyers for that. We decided to DIY the duct as it's only 5 ft and we have easy access to the outside vent. We used this http://www.linteater.com/

ThreeofUs
11-06-2009, 02:18 PM
We just went to Lowe's and got one of those huge dryer lint brushes and a metal dryer tube.

Hooked up the vacuum cleaner with the end attachment off (that is, just the tube) and kept it stuck on the lint screen opening when we were cleaning from that side.

Took off the tube from the back of the dryer, repeat in the round hole. There's only about 2.5 feet of tube in the dryer - easily accessible by the brush and the vacuum.

Then I threw out the old tube, put in the new one, and all my dryer troubles were a thing of the past.

I'm thinking this might be a yearly job, but it was VERY easy.

AnnieW625
11-06-2009, 02:18 PM
The washer repair folks can clean lint from INSIDE of the dryer.

The duct is done by people that clean ducts - we always get flyers for that. We decided to DIY the duct as it's only 5 ft and we have easy access to the outside vent. We used this http://www.linteater.com/

We used the Lint Eater too, it's awesome!

hellbennt
11-07-2009, 11:13 PM
our top-loading HE Whirlpool (I think that's it?)
CABRIO is awful, horrible, do not buy one!
it's running fine now, but we spent all.summer. getting it repaired, ugh.