PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else frustrated because you can't get an H1N1 vaccine?

justlearning
11-05-2009, 04:55 PM
I'm so frustrated with the random and unfair distribution of the doses! My son's oncology clinic still hasn't received a single vaccine, yet people I know in other areas (who aren't even high risk) have all gotten the shot. A friend whose son is at my son's clinic recently called around everywhere she could to try to find him the shot. She finally found a clinic about 125 miles away who agreed to give her son one of their doses.

My husband's a physician so I thought it would be easy to get my son a shot, but their clinic hasn't received any doses to give out yet--only just enough to give their physicians and nurses. And yet the H1N1 is definitely in our area--every few days it seems that the newspaper runs an article about another person in our county who's died of H1N1. And many of my friends have come down with H1N1--one is in the ICU right now with pneumonia that came along with the flu. So I am really starting to worry about my three-year-old son who's immune suppressed and his older brother who's going to school everyday.

Does anyone else feel like ranting and describing your situation?

mommylamb
11-05-2009, 05:00 PM
I agree with you frustration, and I'm frustrated for you. We don't have a critical situation like you have, but I really feel for you and I'm so sorry it has been so hard for you to find.

Yesterday, we waited in line for 2 hours in the cold so my son could get it. He's in the target group here because he's under 3 years old. We did get it, but I am frustrated that they didn't get it out to the pediatricians offices in greater supply (or to other doctors-- especially oncologists!!) so that it could be distributed that way rather than through these mass clinics. Waiting outside in the cold with a 2 year old for 2 hours is not fun. I would have much rather done it at my ped's office where, even if we had to wait, it would have been inside in a waiting room with toys.

almostmom
11-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Yes, very frustrated. Our situation is not as dire as yours, but I hear you and feel your stress.

My FIL has lukemia, so if our kids get sick, or are around other sick kids, they can't see him. Right now, DD is home with a light fever and DS's birthday is Saturday, and he was so looking forward to seeing his grandparents, who he hasn't seen in over 3 weeks because he mistakenly got the seasonal flu mist. But now it's up in the air, or pretty much out of the question.

As I said, my kids aren't high risk, but if they spend time with FIL, they should have had the vaccine so they don't accidentally pass it along. The worst is that FIL, with the best docs around, also can't get the vaccine.

Yes, frustrated. And the town next door is having an H1N1 vaccine night for all the kids enrolled in the public schools. I just don't get it.

geochick
11-05-2009, 05:04 PM
It's not fair at all.

My dh is a physician at a major university hospital. Many!!! of his patients have had H1N1. The hospital sent out an email to all staff telling them they are all on their own to find the vaccine since they weren't shipped any...a university hospital! Who will take care of this city's sick people when all the docs and staff call in sick?!

My parents got theirs from their family practice clinic that deals with primarily geriatric patients. It makes NO sense.

sunshine873
11-05-2009, 05:05 PM
Yup! Count me in! I guess I can't complain near as much as you (I'd be mega-upset in your situation.) But DD was a preemie and still has seriously immature lungs. Defnitely high-risk. She was able to get her first seasonal flu shot and H1N1 shot at her Dr's office (thank God.) But now it's time for the booster. And they don't have it!!! Why not? Why are they giving a whole bunch of the 1st shots, but not saving what they need for boosting the people that they already gave them too? It kind of makes it all pointless. I'm just really frustrated. & the receptionist that I talked to just doesn't think it's a big deal. She doesn't get why I'm so upset since DD did get her 1st shot. I'm upset because she still hasn't built up enough immunity if she hasn't had the 2nd dose!!! Ugh!

I'm upset that we've all been told how important it was to get vax for the past few months and now when we need it we can't get it.

sste
11-05-2009, 05:05 PM
Justlearning, that is awful. Absolutely awful. We had an easy time getting it for my 2 year old DS (DH also a physician and our pedi is in a solo practice and had plenty of vaccine). DH finally got his as a high-priority health care provider - -though his hospital ran out so he has been waiting for a month. I have resisted temptation to wrangle my way into line with some excuse . . . for the very reason you mention, that a truly high risk child would not get the vaccine because of my actions.

In your shoes, I would call your city, the county, the CDC, and every pedi's office in a 20 mile radius. If you can just find someone with it, they should be willing to bump you to the top of the list.

I wish I could have passed on my healthy 2-year old's vaccine to you . . . this lack of prioritizing is sickening.

jenmcadams
11-05-2009, 05:07 PM
We're in Colorado and I'm surprised at how difficult it is to get the vaccine. I was randomly walking through the grocery store near our house when I ran into a friend from my DDs school who told me they had H1NI vaccines (mist and shot) available at The Little Clinic near the pharmacy. They were only giving it out to high risk individuals and kids from 4-12. My kids were able to get the mist and the clinic reserved their second dose for us to come back in 4 weeks. My younger sister who is an elementary school principal was able to get it as well. They didn't have a huge sign up and they didn't have a lot of doses (100 or so), but I was surprised there was no line. I'm happy my kiddos got it, but I was surprised they just took people's word on whether they were high risk. I was also happy my sister was able to get it, but surprised she counted for being a principal.

I can't believe a kid like yours is not getting priority.

carolinamama
11-05-2009, 05:18 PM
I am very frustrated for you. Definitely upsetting that your DS and family (and others in your position) are not at the top of the priority list. Our county doesn't have any, our ped is at their mercy.

BabyMine
11-05-2009, 05:19 PM
I am beyond fustrated. I am immune supressed and M has asthma. M's ped doesn't want to order it and either do my Drs.

karenj2
11-05-2009, 05:23 PM
I still haven't decided if I'm going to get it (I'm PG, but I'm not normally the type to get a flu shot), but I called to see if it was even available in my area... Nope! I'm on the "waiting list" with my county's health department, but who knows when it'll come in. And my doctor is out of the regular flu shot, too.

What I'm annoyed about is that my MIL keeps sending me stuff about how the H1N1 kills pregnant woman, and is trying to push me to get it.

In the meantime, I'm taking precautions - I've got hand sanitizer on my desk at work, and I scrub like a surgeon every time I go to the ladies room (which is often - GRRRR). Luckily, I'm not in contact with too many of the folks that seem to have it (i.e., schools, hospitals, etc.) The only places I often go to are church and work.

WatchingThemGrow
11-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Waiting outside in line with 3 DC under 3.5 was not going to happen here when there was a chance for the live virus kind a couple weeks ago. I just checked and out ped has it next Wed for high risk patients. DD (over 3) qualifies b/c we have a sibling under 6 mos. One down, more of us to go...

I hope you're able to find one before long.

mominma
11-05-2009, 05:46 PM
It is so hard to hear all the information in the media about high risk groups and not have an opportunity to get teh vaccine. I will be 35 weeks on Saturday and just got a call that they have a vaccine for me.

Since we wll have a newborn soon, I really would like for my kids and husband to get the vaccination, but they probably do not meet the high risk until the baby is born!

wendibird22
11-05-2009, 05:50 PM
I'm frustrated for you as well! I am thankful that I was able to get it as was DH and DD because my rural county health department had it and was only offering to preggos and their household contacts. I'm amazed by those not in a risk group who have access to one. But, I guess their thought is if a clinic/health department has it on hand better to give it out to those who want it than to let it go to waste.

I know a very intelligent man in his 30s who isn't in a risk group who waited in line for 2hrs to get a shot only to be turned away because he isn't a priority. And he was shocked to be turned away. I'm shocked that this intelligent individual didn't realize he wasn't a priority.

arivecchi
11-05-2009, 05:51 PM
The distribution is completely stupid. They should have given the bulk of the vax to peds, ob/gyns and other doctors who can actually verify that they are giving the vax to a high risk patient. The county/city free for alls are a complete idiocy as they ask for no proof that one is in a high risk group and yet they have the bulk of the vax. I had to stand in line for 3 hours at a city clinic for vax for my 2 little ones. There were mostly adults there - very few pregnant women. :shake:

AnnieW625
11-05-2009, 05:52 PM
No not really. I am going to a local flu clinic this Saturday morning given by my insurance/health care provider, Kaiser. Prior to finding out about the clinic a short bit ago I was willing to wait until the end of November for my preservative free shot, and if they weren't any left I'd just wait until they got it back in the OBs office. I could've gotten one last week when I got my regular flu shot (first time I had ever gotten the shot; not normally the type to do it either), but I didn't want two shots at once. For my daughter I am not overly anxious about it either because I am adamant that she get the shot vax and not the flu mist because I am pregnant. She will be going with me to the flu clinic on Saturday too. I can't force DH to get either shot, but it would be nice if he gets it eventually once it's his turn (he is healthy and in a non risk group as he's 35).

AnnieW625
11-05-2009, 05:59 PM
The distribution is completely stupid. They should have given the bulk of the vax to peds, ob/gyns and other doctors who can actually verify that they are giving the vax to a high risk patient. The county/city free for alls are a complete idiocy as they ask for no proof that one is in a high risk group and yet they have the bulk of the vax. I had to stand in line for 3 hours at a city clinic for vax for my 2 little ones. There were mostly adults there - very few pregnant women. :shake:

I agree with you on that but honestly I think it depends on how big your medical group is. I have Kaiser Permanente which is available in 8 or 9 states nationally and is both the insurance company and the health care provider. Kaiser in my area started giving flu vaxes to children and non pregnant women almost a month ago and have had the H1N1 vaccine in shot form (not sure if ped. version is preservative free) since last week or the week before.

I do agree that the whole county/city shot clinics are stupid, however I do have to say the non insured and people who travel between here and Mexico and other South American countries who may not be legal (at least where I am) are those who could be most at risk, and the Democratic nature of our culture and govt. says that everyone should be covered so these are the people in question. No offense, but KWIM? I am going to try and avoid the city clinics if at all possible. Kaiser is having a shot clinic in our area this Saturday and I am going and it makes me feel much better that is being run by our insurance and not the health department.

ETA: I also hate the news stories when there are lots of middle aged men at the clinics getting the vaccine and complaining that they are being turned away. Did you not read or see the original story on the news that said priority will be given to pregnant women or children 6 mos. to 24, and care givers of children under 6 mos?! It just justifies the point that the world is full of stupid people who think the world revolves around them.

vonfirmath
11-05-2009, 06:00 PM
Yup! Count me in! I guess I can't complain near as much as you (I'd be mega-upset in your situation.) But DD was a preemie and still has seriously immature lungs. Defnitely high-risk. She was able to get her first seasonal flu shot and H1N1 shot at her Dr's office (thank God.) But now it's time for the booster. And they don't have it!!! Why not? Why are they giving a whole bunch of the 1st shots, but not saving what they need for boosting the people that they already gave them too? It kind of makes it all pointless. I'm just really frustrated. & the receptionist that I talked to just doesn't think it's a big deal. She doesn't get why I'm so upset since DD did get her 1st shot. I'm upset because she still hasn't built up enough immunity if she hasn't had the 2nd dose!!! Ugh!

They'd rather more people have a little bit of protection than a few having more.

And maybe everyone wouldn't come back, in which case those shots would be wasted.

Maybe, if they had saved back booster shots for every shot they gave, there would not have been enough shots for your kid in the first place.

That's the position others of us are in who can't find the first shot for our little ones and you are advocating taking more shots off the "market"

arivecchi
11-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Annie, I think what you have with Kaiser is pretty unusual. I don't know of anything similar here. At least it is not an option amongst any of the insurance options I have to choose from through work. The H1N1 options for me were (i) wait for my ped to get some at some point in time or (ii) go to the city clinic which has tons available right away. I don't mind the city clinic having some and using them for uninsured people, but it is an insult to people like to OP who really need one and here they are giving shots willy-nilly without any verification. You are lucky to have easy access to the h1n1 vax, but many people do not have the same set-up with the insurance co also being the provider.

Piglet
11-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Yes! They closed EVERY SINGLE H1N1 clinic here on Saturday and they are only maybe opening up today for high risk. I am so sick of hearing the scary stories about people getting awfully sick and knowing we have no hope in hell of getting the shot. It wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't so much fear mongering in the media about how bad the flu is.

AnnieW625
11-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Annie, I think what you have with Kaiser is pretty unusual. I don't know of anything similar here. At least it is not an option amongst any of the insurance options I have to choose from through work. The H1N1 options for me were (i) wait for my ped to get some at some point in time or (ii) go to the city clinic which has tons available right away. I don't mind the city clinic having some and using them for uninsured people, but it is an insult to people like to OP who really need one and here they are giving shots willy-nilly without any verification. You are lucky to have easy access to the h1n1 vax, but many people do not have the same set-up with the insurance co also being the provider.

Yep it is pretty unusual, but I hope they have the same amount of volunteers they had walking around at the flu shot clinic a few weeks back pulling the non risk people out of line. I am going to be mad if the lines gets uneccessarily long because of all of the non risk people in line. I will probably get there around 7 or 8 for myself and then get my shot and get back in line for DD (if I get done before 10:30 or so) so DH can bring her after ballet.

sunshine873
11-05-2009, 07:08 PM
They'd rather more people have a little bit of protection than a few having more.

And maybe everyone wouldn't come back, in which case those shots would be wasted.

Maybe, if they had saved back booster shots for every shot they gave, there would not have been enough shots for your kid in the first place.

That's the position others of us are in who can't find the first shot for our little ones and you are advocating taking more shots off the "market"

That's true, maybe people wouldn't come back. At which point they could then give those shots to the next people in line. But As far as I'm concerned, if DD doesn't get the 2nd shot, then it completely defeats the purpose of getting the first. That's "taking more shots off the market" too, isn't it? I'm not saying she should get 2 shots because I think that's better. I'm saying she should get 2 shots because that's what the CDC said was required for her immunity!

wellyes
11-05-2009, 07:38 PM
So.... who is to blame for the shortage?

My ped's practice has had flumist several times, and the non-therimisol free one once, but never anythign appropriate for me or DD, health-wise.

icunurse
11-05-2009, 08:33 PM
Our local health department has been having clinics the past few weeks and has them scheduled into early December. DH took both kids yesterday and both kids got the shot/mist. DH said they were turning away people who did not fit the high-risk criteria. He waited less than 2 hours (arrived an hour early and was out 45 minutes after the start of the clinic). If they keep the clinic date in a month, I'll stay in the van while he waits in line and then he can call me when he's close to the front (lots of people were doing that).

The hospital where I work had the vax and ran out. They just received more today and I am hoping to get one tomorrow. They have lots of the mist, but most people can't get it if they work in direct contact with patients. Allegedly, there will be a lot more of the vax all over the country towards the middle/end of the month, to the point where doc offices should be getting it. Allegedly.

karenj2
11-05-2009, 09:31 PM
A friend of mine sent me this link... :banghead:

Flu shots for Wall St. stirs ire in NY (http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE5A44QI20091105?rpc=60)

infomama
11-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Short answer---yes, yes, yes.

vonfirmath
11-06-2009, 12:43 AM
I'd be happy with one shot. I would not feel that shot was wasted even if I was unable to get a second because it would be more immunity than he has now.

HannaAddict
11-06-2009, 01:41 AM
That's true, maybe people wouldn't come back. At which point they could then give those shots to the next people in line. But As far as I'm concerned, if DD doesn't get the 2nd shot, then it completely defeats the purpose of getting the first. That's "taking more shots off the market" too, isn't it? I'm not saying she should get 2 shots because I think that's better. I'm saying she should get 2 shots because that's what the CDC said was required for her immunity!

I understand the frustration, we will be in search of boosters in two weeks, but I don't think they should be "holding" shots for boosters. If it makes you feel better, the stats for little ones are actually pretty good with one dose - the under two year old set had 94% immunity with one dose and the 2 to 9 (I think 9) was 55% with one dose. The article was on the front page of our paper this week, article mostly about the shot being extremely effective for pregnant women with one dose. Hope that makes you feel a little better about getting one dose while you track down a second.

egoldber
11-06-2009, 08:19 AM
The two doses are required for full immunity, but one dose does give some protection. The mist gives better protection than the shot (in children) for some reason. The reverse is true for adults.

I would not be surprised if they change the recommendations soon. Also, I do think the priority is to give the high risk groups at least some protection vs getting full protection for a larger group. If we can reduce infections by even 30%, that actually goes a really long way to reducing the overall impact.

But it IS frustrating. DH waited in line for 2.5 hours with Amy yesterday at one of the big mass vax clinics in our county. And he is going to do it again with Sarah on Saturday (the first clinic in our county that is available for her age group).

justlearning
11-06-2009, 03:02 PM
I have good news--my husband found out today that their clinic should be getting shots in soon, so hopefully DS will be able to get one at that time. I hope that everyone else who wants/needs an H1N1 vax is able to find one soon as well.