PDA

View Full Version : Doll for a boy??

tnrnchick74
11-05-2009, 05:03 PM
DS is 17 months old. We recently had my niece come spend the night & she brought her Cabbage Patch Kid.

DS WOULD NOT LEAVE IT ALONE! He would carry it around, hug it, talk to it, etc.

So, I'm thinking he needs a doll! I have no problem with this...I don't plan on letting him take it to daycare, etc. IT will be like his favorite blanket - stays in his crib/bed.

What kind of doll do I get?? Do I get a CBK?? Boy or girl?

HELP!

alexsmommy
11-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Well, my African-American DS wanted a "doll with long blond hair" because that was what he had in his preschool class and so that's what he got. Luckily I have a DH who is very secure in his masculinity and did not care. We also have a Dora doll that DS2 treats as a baby.
I'm thinking of getting a bitty baby twin boy (just one from the store) for DS2 before new baby comes.
I am a firm believer that boys should at least have access to a doll or two. They will grow up to be fathers and I want to encourage that care-taking side....
Even if the doll might be used as a hammer in a pinch lol.

tnrnchick74
11-05-2009, 05:17 PM
I am a firm believer that boys should at least have access to a doll or two. They will grow up to be fathers and I want to encourage that care-taking side....
Even if the doll might be used as a hammer in a pinch lol.

I agree! How do we expect our boys to "nurture" if they aren't given an opportunity!

I'm just not sure if he'd rather have a boy doll, or girl doll. I'm thinking CBK, but might have to make a trip to TRU to see what sparks his interest.

I'll check out Bitty dolls as well...

SnuggleBuggles
11-05-2009, 05:25 PM
I happily let my ds take a doll around. We just have a Graco one from TRU. We picked the only non-girly one they seemed to have. Baby Chris gets a good amount of play.

Beth

m448
11-05-2009, 05:30 PM
I made my boys a couple of waldorf dolls for last christmas. They were 5 and 3 at the time and the doll kits were from www.dancingraindolls.com . Very straightforward if you know how to sew and crochet a little. They love them and still carry them around, sleep with them. I made them little look alike versions.

MommyAllison
11-05-2009, 05:30 PM
DS loves to play with DD's dolls. I am making him a waldorf doll for Christmas to "match" him, just like DD's. She also has a AG Bitty Baby and a CPK "newborn" (smaller size) that he likes.

ETA: I posted at the same time as the PP, but I use kits from dancingraindolls.com too. They're great! I make the 14" Friendship dolls for my kiddos.

m448
11-05-2009, 05:34 PM
DS loves to play with DD's dolls. I am making him a waldorf doll for Christmas to "match" him, just like DD's. She also has a AG Bitty Baby and a CPK "newborn" (smaller size) that he likes.

ETA: I posted at the same time as the PP, but I use kits from dancingraindolls.com too. They're great! I make the 14" Friendship dolls for my kiddos.

Hee! It's great to see another doll making momma on the board. Right now I'm supposed to be working on the baby's doll since she manages to sneak off with her brothers' every chance she gets (she carries them by the hair like some little cave baby).

tnrnchick74
11-05-2009, 05:35 PM
I made my boys a couple of waldorf dolls for last christmas. They were 5 and 3 at the time and the doll kits were from www.dancingraindolls.com (http://www.dancingraindolls.com) . Very straightforward if you know how to sew and crochet a little. They love them and still carry them around, sleep with them. I made them little look alike versions.

I can sew, but no crochet!

Piglet
11-05-2009, 05:36 PM
We have a doll for DS2 - Corelle Paul. It wasn't a soft huggable doll though. We bought it for the potty training, but it has gooten much love over the years. It is, ummm... anatomically correct, and often left naked around the house much to my parents' dismay, LOL.

mommylamb
11-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Aw, that is sweet. My DS hasn't shown an interest in dolls yet, but he loves his Curious George stuffed animal... If he showed an interest in dolls, I'd get him one in an instant!

m448
11-05-2009, 05:41 PM
I can sew, but no crochet!

The owner gives very detailed instructions including pictures in the PDF pattern so if you can get a hook then you can learn the pretty basic singe crochet stitch needed to make the wig. Or you can try one of the doll kits she gears towards babies that only have a fringe of hair underneath a cap in the front.

tnrnchick74
11-05-2009, 05:42 PM
We have a doll for DS2 - Corelle Paul. It wasn't a soft huggable doll though. We bought it for the potty training, but it has gooten much love over the years. It is, ummm... anatomically correct, and often left naked around the house much to my parents' dismay, LOL.

I will keep that in mind for potty training! But I think right now he needs a huggable one.

He has plenty of stuffed animals, and even a fave or 2, but I've NEVER seen him act like he did with the CBK! It was ABSOLUTELY adorable - talking to it, loving on it, etc.

vonfirmath
11-05-2009, 05:55 PM
My son has a monkey. A little baby doll and the Fisher Price Lapsitter Elizabeth doll from when I was growing up. I WANTED to get him a boy... but I didn't manage it and he doesn't care.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
11-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Check etsy?

lizzywednesday
11-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Both of my brothers had dolls when they were kids.

Ger, the next one down, had a homemade CPK-designed doll (they had a pattern licensed from Xavier Roberts himself; no joke ... my aunt made it for him for Christmas) after I got my CPK. He was rarely without his "Baby Buddy" until he outgrew it.

Joe, the 3rd of us, had a "My Child" doll that looked EXACTLY like him. (Joe is blonde with blue eyes.) He declared that the doll was his "daughter" and brought her in for show-and-tell in preschool.

Both of my brothers are wonderful with little kids, which surprises a lot of people because they're both big guys! (They're both 6'5" ... which is a little intimidating.)

In recent years, the baby doll of choice for my youngest cousins has been something like this one:

http://www.magiccabin.com/mcabin_assets/images/shop/catalog/850619.jpg

(I found it online at MagicCabin.com ... OK, it's probably more than you wanted to spend, but at least it's huggable! Also, if you sew, they used to sell patterns & fabrics so you could make the dolls yourself, which is what my aunt did.)

jent
11-05-2009, 07:27 PM

I was going to suggest Corolle too. I know they make boy Calins (here's one I found quickly on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Corolle-Premier-Calin-Blue-Striped/dp/B000OKX1L6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1257463461&sr=1-1-fkmr0, though I remember seeing a cute one with short hair and play outfit last year when I was doll shopping.)

I love the Calins, they are a perfect size for a young toddler to carry around. We had a CPK but once Santa brought DD a Calin, it became her #1 doll.

m448
11-05-2009, 07:58 PM
here are the boys' dolls. They are 16" friendship dolls and I used an American Girl clothing pattern to make the clothes just chopped a bit on the shirt length. I spent so much time on the fiddly clothes and they roam the house naked LOL

MommyAllison
11-05-2009, 08:08 PM
here are the boys' dolls. They are 16" friendship dolls and I used an American Girl clothing pattern to make the clothes just chopped a bit on the shirt length. I spent so much time on the fiddly clothes and they roam the house naked LOL

Aww they are so cute! And yeah, I agree about the clothes. Not looking forward to making more doll clothes right now!

By the way, to the OP, I am a knitter, not a crochet-er, but the amount of crochet is pretty minimal, and easy to learn. I wouldn't recommend learning on boucle yarn though. Learn from my misery!

MommyofAmaya
11-05-2009, 10:11 PM
We are getting boy clothes to pass on dd's Corolle Tidoo to ds. She will be getting a new doll for Xmas. I love the size of the Tidoo's. I think they are the same size as Calin, but able to go into the bath/pool.

srhs
11-05-2009, 10:15 PM
nak
DS1 has a cpk because I had it in the gift stash & he said, "Open?!" Works well for him...REALLY likes to feed him the bottle that came with or put him in the highchair with a spoon and bowl.

11-05-2009, 10:20 PM
DS (4) also loves his Tidoo. He also has a CPK newborn--but I don't know if they still make them anymore. The tidoo is better for cuddling.

Christine W
mom to John 11.19.05, Katie 1.25.07 & Sarah 5.8.09

newg
11-05-2009, 10:20 PM
DD's friend loves to play with her dolls when he comes over!! She has a bitty baby doll and a pottery barn doll..........the bitty baby doll has eyes that open and close and the pottery barn doll is really really soft......
If we have a DS I plan on getting a doll for him too..........

I think Fisher price has a my first doll that is more boyish..........

KpbS
11-05-2009, 10:22 PM
DS1 at your son's age LOVED dolls as well. He loved baby dolls in the nursery and a cpk at my moms. I found a homemade one with really adorable knitted clothing but DS1 never bonded with it. He outgrew his love of dolls but loves babies in general. :) I would let your DS help pick out the doll to make sure he really liked it.

GL--lots of good choices out there.

tnrnchick74
11-05-2009, 11:01 PM
I've been looking online tonight and I think I like the Corolle dolls since their eyes open and close. *I* feel like a kid in a candy store buying a doll!!!

MontrealMum
11-05-2009, 11:05 PM
DS has both a Corolle Tidoo and Calin (boys) - which are soft (the bodies) and huggable. The Tidoo can go in the tub, but DS doesn't like me to do that. He also has the Paul (which I also bought for PT'ing :) ) and it is harder, but DS likes to pretend to "feed" Baby Paul, and put on his diaper. He also likes to "drink" poor Baby Paul's bottle himself! There seems to be a similar sort of doll that you can diaper at the daycare, as I've heard about it, and I noted a toddler with a diaper on his head today holding a naked doll as I walked out with DS!

I *think* the Corolle dolls run in the $25-$35 range. You can buy extra clothes for them too (less is available for the boy dolls), but I think I'll probably make some, or get MIL to do it if DS ever show an inclination to put the clothes back on. Right now he's all about taking them off!

I am making him a Waldorf doll to match him for Christmas mostly from a kit. But I haven't started yet :bag Great to know other mommies are making Waldorf dolls - I just couldn't fathom spending that kind of money on a pre-made one!

Although DS does show a preference for trucks/cars, blocks, and stuffed animals, he still likes to play with his babies. He has the Charlotte Zolotow book, William's Doll, which I read to him often. Very nice (70s!) message about boys learning to care for dolls for when they grow up to be daddies. The story was adapted to go on the Free to be You and Me record (we now own the CD).

Clarity
11-05-2009, 11:06 PM
What about this one? http://www.amazon.com/Gotz-Mini-Muffin-Bald-Boy/dp/B0018A67XU

ETA: I'm partial to the Gotz dolls, they are every bit as nice as Corolle and are phthalate free. I found dd's at TJMaxx

alirebco
11-05-2009, 11:16 PM
We have this one for my son and it's anatomically correct. DS loves taking the clothes on and off and he calls it his baby. I wanted a doll not MIC and that is why I picked this one.

http://www.oompa.com/baby-toys/item/FS0905/Furnis-Mike.html?oompaItem=Furnis_Mike

My friend has this for her daughter and it's great as well just more expensive.

http://www.babynaturopathics.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1952

traciann
11-05-2009, 11:27 PM
Since he really enjoyed the CPK doll, I would take him to pick out one. I wouldn't buy something else, because you don't know if he would have the same reaction.

mamicka
11-06-2009, 10:38 AM
DS loves his doll. We have quite a few that have been handed down from my sisters & me. He feel in love with a ratty-looking small doll with plastic legs, arms, & head & a soft body. It's been cleaned many times, but the hair is nasty-looking & can't really be brushed. I do comb it & fashion a scarf around her head when we go places with it to make it look somewhat presentable. I'm considering looking for clothes for it since DS is always complaining that "Baby cold, mama" & blankets don't stay on too well.

We also have a couple CBP Kids but they aren't played with at all these days. I think they're too big?