PDA

View Full Version : Pre-school: Half-day or Full day?

arivecchi
11-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Trying to decide which program to apply for in one school. I'm sure full day is probably easier to get in to. Hours for half day: 8:10-11:15. Full day: 8:10 to 2:45 (includes nap). Price difference in not all that significant and it is a really good program, so it's not just a substitute for daycare (we still have to keep our nanny regardless).

SnuggleBuggles
11-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Half, for sure. There is a lifetime ahead for school. I like the half days so there is more time for museums, playgrounds, playdates and all that fun stuff.

Beth

kozachka
11-05-2009, 05:44 PM
I would have gone with a full day option if it were me since it would give me more time to get things done around the house and what not. Time really flies when you are on your own.

g-mama
11-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Well, it depends on what your nanny is willing and able to do with your older dc since she will have your baby to take care of, too.

If it were me, I might prefer that my older child got more time with his peers, doing activities and playing, if the alternative meant that he would come home and spend a lot of time hanging out at home with the nanny while the baby needed to nap, or if your nanny finds it tough to go out with two small children to museums, library, etc.

arivecchi
11-05-2009, 05:46 PM
I forgot to mention I work full time, so it won't really affect me in that sense. DS1 would otherwise probably go home after school, have lunch, nap and play at home until I get there after work.

JBaxter
11-05-2009, 06:01 PM
We did 1/2 day preschool. K is full day here

AnnieW625
11-05-2009, 06:07 PM
If my child had the full day option at her school I probably would've had her apply for that. Right now her preschool is 9 am to 12 pm two days a week. My day care provider takes her and picks her up, and I pick her up from daycare. There are many successfull programs like Montessori (at least the ones I worked at, as did my mom) where it was full day from 8:30 to 2:45 with naps for 3 yr. olds through 5 yr (kindy) 5 days a week (for most kids; I think there might have been a part time option) and it worked out really well.

Also I think it might be good for your nanny to have more one on one time with DS2, and a little more time to herself in the early PM after lunch so she doesn't have to worry about getting DS1 down for his nap or making him lunch (although I bet they'll be eating many of the same foods next fall).

arivecchi
11-05-2009, 06:11 PM
Also I think it might be good for your nanny to have more one on one time with DS2, and a little more time to herself in the early PM after lunch so she doesn't have to worry about getting DS1 down for his nap or making him lunch (although I bet they'll be eating many of the same foods next fall). This is what I am thinking too, but she wants 1/2 day only. She says she does not think he is ready for a full day yet. I do like that idea that DS2 would get more one-on-one time, plus DS1 could probably use more structure. :)

AnnieW625
11-05-2009, 06:25 PM
That's cool, it sounds like you have a wonderful nanny. My DCP is very open with me about DD too; I could've started her in MWF preschool but we both decided let's start with 2 days. DD loves it so we could've done three. Also DD loves taking her lunch to school (when DCP needs the extra hour for one of her kids or daycare) and staying for lunch until 1 pm. Could you apply DS for the all day program and if it doesn't work move him to the half day?

arivecchi
11-05-2009, 06:37 PM
That's a great question! I'll have to call the school and ask.

kedss
11-05-2009, 06:39 PM
I'd do half day :)

smilequeen
11-05-2009, 11:27 PM
I would do half days at 3 and then consider the full days for the preK year. My 2 year old will be starting 5 half days next year and then he'll possibly do 2 half days and 3 full days the next year to transition to the 5 full day K.

The half days give them time to do all the other fun stuff that goes along with being preschool aged...trips to the zoo, park, museums, etc. when they aren't overrun by big kids. Extra classes. Time to just chill out at home. I don't think it's really worth hanging around at preschool to nap the afternoon away.

That said, before our move and when I was still working part time, DS1 did 2-3 full days a week at 3 and 4, and they were fine, but the afternoon was mostly naptime. He doesn't nap now and he's in the 2 half day/3 full day program and we love it. He's almost 5 though and ready for K in every way but actual age.

jacksmomtobe
11-05-2009, 11:47 PM
I would go with the 1/2 day. That is enough of a school day to tire them out. There is so much social development that goes on that is mentally taxing. Also see the other post about the child not napping at preschool. I think a child is more comfortable in their own home for napping. I think if your Nanny is willing and in favor of the 1/2 days go that way. You can always do more hours next year.

kristenk
11-06-2009, 12:01 AM
I'd definitely go half-day at 3. The full day is soooo long for a little one.

squimp
11-06-2009, 12:33 AM
To some extent it depends on the kid - my daughter is extremely social and kind of needed full day. However, at age 3, they probably have nap time or quiet time in the afternoon, and that is better spent at home IMO. Plus they can eat at home, and it's probably just nicer for the kids if you have the choice.

Nooknookmom
11-06-2009, 12:36 AM
Half, for sure. There is a lifetime ahead for school. I like the half days so there is more time for museums, playgrounds, playdates and all that fun stuff.

Beth

Yeah that! When I taught, I saw kids there from sun up till sun down and it was overkill. They stopped learning and having fun.

arivecchi
11-06-2009, 12:25 PM
Thanks. I think we will apply for the half day program. :)

jk3
11-06-2009, 01:58 PM
I think it depends on your child. My 6 year old started full day preschool at 2 as I was working full time. He fared well and enjoyed the structure and countless activities. For my 2.5 year old, it would be too overwhelming and not the right fit.

fauve01
11-06-2009, 02:09 PM

:yeahthat: