PDA

View Full Version : Alright, what to do about stuffed animal on loan from preschool?

AnnieW625
11-05-2009, 06:33 PM
DCP called to let me know that DD had a slight fever this morning and her eyes were a little glassy so she wasn't going to be taking her to preschool (DH never notices these things), and she was coughing a bit this morning, but has in the past due to allergies. DCP was going to let DD relax so no rush to get home (she has two seperate areas for the kids:)) and get her unless her fever spiked. Well DD was asked to care of the class pig stuffed animal (the Pig from Kohls Cares) and well she slept with the thing last night. Pig was suppose to go back today, but will no go back Tuesday. So do I wash the pig in the washer or should I just let DD keep that pig and get a replacement pig from Kohls and let DD keep the one she contanminated? I am afraid the pig won't be as soft if I wash it (haven't had great luck with some of DD's animals).
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/kids/kck/PRD~481569/Kohls+Cares+for+Kids+Pig+Plush.jsp

TIA

happymom
11-05-2009, 06:35 PM
Do you have time to try washing it first, and if that doesnt work well then go buy a replacement? Just wanted to add that its nice of you to make the extra effort for the sake of the other children...unfortunately not every parent would do that!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
11-05-2009, 06:36 PM
If it is the pink Bonyton (sp) one I have washed it, and it was fine, no dryer though.

SnuggleBuggles
11-05-2009, 06:37 PM
How long doe germs live on dry surfaces? I don't think I would worry about it. I'll be interested to read other replies though.

Beth

ZeeBaby
11-05-2009, 06:37 PM
Washing it is a very thoughtful idea.

Kitten007
11-05-2009, 06:38 PM
I say wash it. It should come out beautifully.

etaylor75
11-05-2009, 06:45 PM
From Associated Content:

Freeze stuffed animals - If you have young children in your home, chances are they have a favorite stuffed animal. Did you know that stuffed animals are a germ hot bed? You can kill germs, dust mites, and so on by freezing them. Simply spray them down with Lysol, and place them in a tightly sealed Ziploc bag. Put them in the freezer for 48 hours. Dust mites cannot survive in such cold temperatures, and the flu germ does not live longer than 48 hours outside the body.

Erin

SnuggleBuggles
11-05-2009, 06:46 PM
From Associated Content:

Freeze stuffed animals - If you have young children in your home, chances are they have a favorite stuffed animal. Did you know that stuffed animals are a germ hot bed? You can kill germs, dust mites, and so on by freezing them. Simply spray them down with Lysol, and place them in a tightly sealed Ziploc bag. Put them in the freezer for 48 hours. Dust mites cannot survive in such cold temperatures, and the flu germ does not live longer than 48 hours outside the body.

Erin

Would you need to Lysol it then? Just curious. :)

BEth

Toba
11-05-2009, 07:09 PM
I don't have an answer for you (although if it were me, I'd just replace it especially since it's only $5 and realllllly cute too (side O/T: we have numerous Kohl's stuffed animals and I think they're a steal and pretty good quality for only $5, at least the ones we have) .... I just wanted to come and give you a big hug for being such a thoughtful person. Very, very sweet!

Hope your DD is feeling better!!

AnnieW625
11-05-2009, 07:51 PM
Thank you guys! DD was so proud to be taking care of Piggy and pretty much took it everywhere at home except the bathroom. It sat on the table and watched her eat dinner too.

jenmcadams
11-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Our preschool has a stuffed animal they take home for a weekend too (it's actually a monkey from Kohls). In the "care instructions" they ask you to launder it (gentle cycle wash and dry) before bringing it back each week.

alien_host
11-05-2009, 07:59 PM
I also wanted to say that you are doing a very nice thing! I'd either try to wash it and if it looks ratty go buy a new one. Or just buy once since it's for a good cause anyway.

I have these stashed for Xmas. Oh and DD's preschool has a real live class guinea pig, I think I like the stuffed animal "pet" better ;)

ETA: I think you can put it on gentle cycle and tie it in a pillow case.