PDA

View Full Version : WWYD? Peanut allergy at school

TaChapm
11-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Jackson has a life threatening peanut allergy. He is in a nut free classroom and peanuts were taken off of the school menu but parent's were not told that they can't send peanuts in their child's lunch. They have been told that there is a kid with allergies and that nut products are frowned upon but not restricted. We have been OK with this because I don't want to be crazy telling people what to do. On Friday Jackson came home from school so upset because the principals at the school were handing out candy containing peanuts! I am so angry and think it is completely irresponsible of them! I realize that they can't control the parents but they can choose what to hand out to teachers as a treat. I talked to Jackson's teacher and she said he was completely distraught about it. She also expressed her frustration with the principal and said that peanut products are being served at staff meetings in the library. Jackson goes to the library the next morning after these staff meetings and she is concerned about that. I called the principal and expressed my concerns and she basically said she did nothing wrong and that I was overreacting. I am very angry. Jackson has also had a lot of trust issues and fear with going to school and we have worked really hard to let him know he is safe at school and can trust the staff and then he sees the principal who is supposed to be keeping him safe handing out something that could kill him if he came in contact with it. What would you do? Am I overreacting. I am not asking that she control the parents but she can control what she chooses to bring into the classroom. Is there anything I can do?

ca mom to 2
11-05-2009, 08:31 PM
He needs an IEP or 504. However, given the attitude you're encountering, it will probably be a fight to get one.

Cathy

mytwosons
11-05-2009, 08:33 PM
He needs a 504. If they don't follow it, lawyer up.

In your situation, I would be emailing the principal and cc'ing the superintendent.

rlu
11-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Not sure if this would help, but if your ped writes a letter about his allergy addressed to the principal she might get a clue.

pinkmomagain
11-05-2009, 08:36 PM
You are not overreacting. You need to go above the prinicpal on this....I guess that would be the superintendent?

cchavez
11-05-2009, 10:10 PM
Definitely get a Plan 504. Talk to the 504 coordinator at your school....google 504 and Wrightslaw.

TaChapm
11-05-2009, 10:22 PM
I did email her and the superintendant on Monday. I am just now hearing back from her today. I placed another call to the superintendant today and was told he would call me first thing in the morning. I am just trying to figure out what I need to be saying. I have no clue what a 504 is so I will be looking that up. Our pediatrician and allergist wrote a very stern letter last year explaining how serious the allergy was and how Jackson could be exposed. It was very clear and spelled everything out perfectly to her. She just doesn't seem to care. Like I said...I understand that there are some things she can't control but she can choose what she brings in to the school and passes out and she brought in peanuts. So frustrating!

MamaMolly
11-05-2009, 10:28 PM
He needs a 504. If they don't follow it, lawyer up.

In your situation, I would be emailing the principal and cc'ing the superintendent.

:yeahthat: try looking here for 504 information: http://www.faiusa.org/?page=in_school and here http://drrobertwood.com/504-plan-for-food-allergies.shtml

And a big smack on the forehead to the principal.

And just in case you haven't found it yet, you may want to join www.kidswithfoodallergies.org It was the absolute best resource I ever found for dealing with DD's allergies. There are people who can give you the scoop on EXACTLY what you need to do. Good luck, and GO MAMA BEAR!

DrSally
11-05-2009, 11:26 PM
I don't think you're overreacting. I think it was terrible for the principal to hand out peanut candy and then act so nanchalantly about it! I can totally understand why your DS was upset about it :( ITA about looking into a 504 plan.

jacksmomtobe
11-05-2009, 11:53 PM
I am surprised at this day in age with so many peanut allergies that the school would be unnecessarily allowing peanut related products in the school by giving out candy with peanuts and having that type of food in their staff meetings. These days I don't let my kids bring anything peanut related outside of the house because of the prevalence of peanut allergies. I just can't fathom what the PRINCIPAL is thinking! You are not overreacting. This is a big deal to your child's well being and a serious health risk. You are not policing the other parents so you are being pretty low key in general about this matter. You shouldn't have to police the Prinicipal.

HIU8
11-06-2009, 11:26 AM
I am not a mom of a peanut allergic kid. But if I was, I would be absolutely livid. If my child had a life threatening allergy and it was disregarded I would be doing everything I could to get them to correct the problem. Worst case I would pull my child out of a school that could potentially do something to harm him.

DS's class is nut free b/c there is a peanut allergic child in the class. No nuts of any kind, nut products or items made on or near nuts are allowed. The other day the child was not at school. A mom sent in peanuts in her child's lunch (according to DS a bag of peanuts) and the teachers let him eat them. Now, I'm very very upset about that. 1) b/c DS is now extremely upset that he didn't have a pbj (happens to be what he lives on at home), 2) I really don't think that it should be allowed just b/c the child isn't there (it's supposed to be class policy not to bring).

bubbaray
11-06-2009, 11:33 AM
In the situation you describe, I would immediately go over the principal's head. You've discussed it with her (and in the past too) and she d/n get it. Screw her. Go over her head.

Document document document.

I would tell the school that it is their responsibility to keep your DS safe while he is in their care. If they knowingly put him at risk of harm (ie., handing out "death bars" from school officials at a school event on school property during school hours), they have breached their legal duty of care to him.

JMHO.

sste
11-06-2009, 11:39 AM
No peanut or food allergies in my family but I do not understand the school shenanigans posters routinely report here. If someone said to me, what is more important a little one suffering an attack, possible hospitalization or even death OR stuffing your face with peanut candy or snacks, I cannot imagine arguing back that I needed my reeses peanut butter cup at the staff meeting!!

I agree you need to talk to the principal and super. In addition to specific measures, you may also want to band together with some other PA parents and request that the school have an in-service training and go completely "peanut-free." It is my opinion that the only thing that works is 100% peanut free - - there is too much variability in communicating, monitoring and enforcing when the standard is more flexible.

I would even consider emailing the principal and any teachers implicated in the peanut eating a you-tube or other video of an allergic child going into shock or a clip from parents of a child who suffered extremly adverse consequences. Sometimes a picture is worth a hundred words . . .

DrSally
11-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Now, I'm very very upset about that. 1) b/c DS is now extremely upset that he didn't have a pbj (happens to be what he lives on at home), 2) I really don't think that it should be allowed just b/c the child isn't there (it's supposed to be class policy not to bring).

ITA. Causes too much confusion to have it sometimes and not others. AND, the class should be peanut free at all times b/c peanut residue can remain and be picked up on a child's hands by touching something the next day.