PDA

View Full Version : Need to work full time for a few weeks - what to do with the kids?

chinook
11-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Hi,

I'm an RN and since my mat leave (DD and DS are 3) I've mostly just worked Fridays to keep my license up to date, and once and awhile on the weekend. It just isn't super lucrative to work more than that in my current area by the time I pay the sitter. SO, I'm thinking about starting in a new area where I could pick up four hour shifts in the evening.

Problem? It's a FOUR WEEK full-time orientation. I need to figure out what to do with my kids during that time. Our current sitter, who comes to our house to watch them on Fridays, can't clear a month to watch them.

Other problem? My DD does not seem to separate from me very well unless it's a situation she really knows. For example, I can leave her at a friend's house, but our attempt at an unparented program at the Y was a disaster. Yes, we are drop-outs of the Y!

What do y'all think would be my best plan? To look into nanny agencies for a short-term live out contract? My worry with this is that yes maybe they have a background check and references but really I don't know that person from anything. OR, do I try and find a day home that would take them? My worry with this is that getting them out of the house in the morning is going to be a galdang gong show, plus the new environment might just be too much for DD?

I'm looking for advice from all of you moms that have "childcare finding" experience :) Maybe this just won't work out but I'm trying to explore all of my avenues first.

Thanks in advance.

Piglet
11-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Is there maybe a mom in your area that is looking for some extra cash? Is there any community pre-school you could try? Is there any relative that might be willing to come stay with you for a month (you pay airfare, etc. for the out of town visitor)?