PDA

View Full Version : Who is/ was your favorite Sesame Street character?

ourbabygirl
11-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Google's been honoring Sesame Street's 40th anniversary with cute images on their home page (Big Bird's legs for the l, Cookie Monster's eyes for the oo), and it got me thinking about good ol' Sesame Street. If you used to watch it when you were a kid, &/or do now with your DC, which character is your favorite? Why? Who's your kid's favorite character?
I'd say mine was Snuffalupagus (not sure if that's spelled right), because he's got a sweet voice and seems really nice and humble. Kind of like Eeyore, but not as depressed :).

MamaMolly
11-05-2009, 09:30 PM
I always loved the RA-D-IO aliens who did that nope, nope, nope, yep, yep, yep bit. And Snuffy.

DD's first love was Elmo, quickly shadowed by Abby Cadabby, and now she seems to like Zoe.

EllasMum
11-05-2009, 09:31 PM
I always loved the Yip-Yips. I just think they are soooo funny! My DD isn't all that interested in Sesame Street, but she does seem to like stories about Big Bird.

lizzywednesday
11-05-2009, 09:36 PM
OMG, all the classic Muppets are my favorites!

Oscar, Snuffy, Cookie, Bert & Ernie, Count von Count ... need I go on?

There's a reason the Sesame Street: Old School DVDs are rated as "must have" on our baby registry!

(That reminds me ... I should probably add The Muppet Show as well.)

veronica
11-05-2009, 09:41 PM
These days......I am on the same wavelength as Oscar!!!!!!!!!!

fortato
11-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Grover. Hands DOWN. Especially when he was working in the restaurant and the angry bald blue guy would come in and get angry because his order was ALWAYS wrong!!

There are a bunch of classic videos on the site! Including Lady Bugs Picnic, and We all sing with the same voice!
http://www.sesamestreet.org/videos

elektra
11-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Cookie Monster. Me love cooookies!

lizzywednesday
11-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Grover. Hands DOWN. Especially when he was working in the restaurant and the angry bald blue guy would come in and get angry because his order was ALWAYS wrong!!

Not only that, how could you not love Super Grover?

MontrealMum
11-05-2009, 09:51 PM
For me:
#1 Oscar :)
#2 Cookie Monster

DS' currently loves Elmo, followed closely by Cookie Monster.

But I will admit that my all-time favorite on Sesame Street is Bob! I even have an autographed picture that my mom sent away for. I'm thinking of writing to see if I can get a current one for DS, and then I'll hang them side-by-side in his room.

lizzywednesday
11-05-2009, 09:56 PM
For me:
#1 Oscar :)
#2 Cookie Monster

DS' currently loves Elmo, followed closely by Cookie Monster.

But I will admit that my all-time favorite on Sesame Street is Bob! I even have an autographed picture that my mom sent away for. I'm thinking of writing to see if I can get a current one for DS, and then I'll hang them side-by-side in his room.

My all-time favorite person on Sesame Street actually tends to be Mr. Hooper, who passed away during the 80s.

alexmommy
11-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Definitely the Count. But then, I was a HS math teacher before being a SAHM. DS is too young to have favorites yet.

MontrealMum
11-05-2009, 09:58 PM
There's a reason the Sesame Street: Old School DVDs are rated as "must have" on our baby registry!

(That reminds me ... I should probably add The Muppet Show as well.)

Get the Old School DVDs...we have them and they're great! I'm ordering the Electric Company ones for Christmas.

Gena
11-05-2009, 09:58 PM
My favorite was always Oscar. This really puzzled my Mother, who kept encouraging me to like Big Bird.

I'm not sure what it says about me psychologically that I have always favored characters who are generally unhappy: Oscar, Eeyore, Marvin the Paranoid Andriod, etc...

lizzywednesday
11-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Get the Old School DVDs...we have them and they're great! I'm ordering the Electric Company ones for Christmas.

Honey, I grew up on The Electric Company and Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood ... and Doctor Who (BIG fan of the 4th Doctor, Tom Baker, thank you very much.)

Watching some of the old skits recently, it made me realize where my affection for Morgan Freeman came from ... he was on The Electric Company!

We have both the Sesame: Old School and Electric Company ("Best of" or somesuch) on our Amazon registry. I am sure that, when my mother looks at the list, she will laugh her head off.

I know our LO won't be ready for The Muppet Show for a while, but that won't stop me from adding the darned thing to the registry!

lizzywednesday
11-05-2009, 10:05 PM
My favorite was always Oscar. This really puzzled my Mother, who kept encouraging me to like Big Bird.

I'm not sure what it says about me psychologically that I have always favored characters who are generally unhappy: Oscar, Eeyore, Marvin the Paranoid Andriod, etc...

Don't analyze. Those are the characters who usually say what everybody else is too blissed-out to say ... it's admirable in a way.

Oscar, for example, may have been grouchy to everyone who lived on Sesame Street ... but he was really a happy guy in his own little way, so long as there was plenty of trash and something to complain about. And, don't forget how much he loves his pet worm, Slimy!

KpbS
11-05-2009, 10:05 PM
I :heartbeat: Grover, Barkley, Bert + Ernie. As children, my sister and I used to think of each other as Bert and Ernie. :) Laverne and Shirley too.

BabyMine
11-05-2009, 10:06 PM
I always loved the RA-D-IO aliens who did that nope, nope, nope, yep, yep, yep bit.

My absolute favorite.

BigDog
11-05-2009, 10:34 PM
Barkley, of course. :)

Does anyone remember the Sesame Street Christmas Special? Big Bird waits for Santa up on the roof, Bert & Ernie and Oscar go ice skating... oh and Maria and Gordon sing songs like "Keep Christmas with you, all through the year, when Christmas is over, spread some Christmas cheer..."??? I remember being little and loving when it came on during the holidays. I wish I could watch it again!

maestramommy
11-05-2009, 10:34 PM
I loved Grover when he was in those waiter skits!

SnuggleBuggles
11-05-2009, 10:45 PM
The Count. Back in the day I liked Grover, Bert and Ernie and the Yip Yips. Now I really like Telly.

Beth

DrSally
11-05-2009, 11:23 PM
Ernie and Bert and the twiddlebugs.

bubbaray
11-05-2009, 11:25 PM
Grover. There was no Elmo when I was that age!

MamaKath
11-05-2009, 11:34 PM
Ernie and Grover!!!

jacksmomtobe
11-05-2009, 11:38 PM
Ernie. I'm not sure why but I still remember to this day an episode where Ernie wanted to each cookies in bed and Bert was saying it was a bad idea due to crumbs. My kids don't watch tv though I would love to find that episode to show them some day as we've talked about it.

Happy 2B mommy
11-05-2009, 11:51 PM
Grover. He still cracks me up!

When I was really, really little, I thought I was related to Count von Count. Seriously. My dad is from Romania and they have similar accents, my dad had the black, slicked back hair and strongly arched eyebrows. I thought he was an uncle or something until I understood that the count was a puppet! I also thought that Ernie and Bert were real people, too, but I always knew the monsters were puppets.

tylersmama
11-06-2009, 12:31 AM
Barkley, of course. :)

Does anyone remember the Sesame Street Christmas Special? Big Bird waits for Santa up on the roof, Bert & Ernie and Oscar go ice skating... oh and Maria and Gordon sing songs like "Keep Christmas with you, all through the year, when Christmas is over, spread some Christmas cheer..."??? I remember being little and loving when it came on during the holidays. I wish I could watch it again!
Christmas Eve on Sesame Street. :love-retry: My mom still has my copy of the record. She found it on DVD a few years back, so we've added it to the shows we watch when I'm home for Christmas every year.

http://www.amazon.com/Sesame-Street-Christmas-Eve/dp/B00006RJAK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1257481844&sr=8-1

Nooknookmom
11-06-2009, 12:35 AM
Oscar the Grouch (if you ask DH it's fitting, lol). BUT I really dug his house and desperately wanted to *see* inside it!!!!

Ernie was second, b/c he was really cute and friendly.

DrSally
11-06-2009, 12:35 AM
Ernie. I'm not sure why but I still remember to this day an episode where Ernie wanted to each cookies in bed and Bert was saying it was a bad idea due to crumbs. My kids don't watch tv though I would love to find that episode to show them some day as we've talked about it.

Such a cute episode. I would love to see that again too! (and have DS see it)

DrSally
11-06-2009, 12:37 AM
Christmas Eve on Sesame Street. :love-retry: My mom still has my copy of the record. She found it on DVD a few years back, so we've added it to the shows we watch when I'm home for Christmas every year.

http://www.amazon.com/Sesame-Street-Christmas-Eve/dp/B00006RJAK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1257481844&sr=8-1

I vaguely remember it and some warm feelings it evoked. I'm going to see if my library has the DVD.

elektra
11-06-2009, 01:23 AM

OOh, I'll have to check this out. DD was addicted to the Elmo's Christmas special for about 6 months and it was pretty good actually. It has Alicia Keys, Jennifer Hudson, Jaime Fox, and others. I bet she (and I) would like the older version too.

amandabea
11-06-2009, 01:44 AM
Back in my day, Ernie and Grover were my favorites, but I really, truly loved all of the main characters. Oh, and I actually have always loved, loved, loved Kermit! I love him!

Seitvonzu
11-06-2009, 08:45 AM
i can't remember-- maybe snuffy? lucy really likes elmo (of course), abby & zoe, but she also has a weird attachment to the count. she likes to say "count-- ONE-- HAHAHA!" it's really cute :)

22 months and already into curious george, elmo, abby cadabby, zoe, sid the science kid, the count, "supe y" and numerous book characters....so much for limiting exposure to licensed characters! at least they are all coming from PBS, right? (well, the book ones aren't, but the tv ones are ;)

egoldber
11-06-2009, 08:48 AM

Me too. :o I :heartbeat: Eeyore. My AIM avatar is Marvin.

I actually did not like Sesame Street as a child. What does that say? :ROTFLMAO:

Reyadawnbringer
11-06-2009, 10:18 AM
My favs were (and still are) Oscar the grouch and Snuffy!

Also- I am a big Eeyore fan :loveeyes:

kijip
11-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Mr. Hooper.

puppet wise, Grover or Bert and Ernie.

sste
11-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Grover. My ideal man!

boolady
11-06-2009, 11:31 AM

This is my hands-down holiday favorite. My mom still has our album version, and I just ordered a copy from Amazon not 4 days ago for DD. I tear up just thinking about that song...

Joolsplus2
11-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Watching some of the old skits recently, it made me realize where my affection for Morgan Freeman came from ... he was on The Electric Company!

Omg, me too. I always imagined God was actually blacula... and I couldn't figure out why till I rewatched some Electric Company as an adult... Talk about making an impression on a kid! I probably should write him a fan letter and tell him so, lol.

As for Sesame Street... I probably liked Bert and Ernie the most... And Biff and Sully were cool because Sully didn't talk...I miss those guys.

kijip
11-06-2009, 11:35 AM

You can! It's available on DVD:

http://www.amazon.com/Sesame-Street-Christmas-Eve/dp/B00006RJAK

(it says 1990 on the Amazon DVD but I own that one and it is def. from the late 70s/early 80s. It has everything you describe. Toby, even at age 6, still LOVES that DVD. He wanted to watch it the other day.

boogiemomz
11-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Grover. My ideal man!

:yeahthat: love me some grover!!

AnnieW625
11-06-2009, 01:30 PM
I always liked Prairie Dawn when I was little. I never remember having one distinct favorite Sesame Street character, but I also always liked Maria and remember before her and Luis got married. I also liked Ernie and my mom was convinced I was the female kid version of Forgetful Jones.

DD says her favorite is Elmo, but half the time she can't make it through most of Elmo's World which is fine with me because I get very tired of Elmo's World. I will say that my favorite all time Elmo moment is when Jim Carrey was on the show with Elmo and Telly in or around 1992/1993. I was in high school and my sister was watching SS and I busted up laughing soo hard. Go to You Tube and search Jim Carrey and Elmo and you should be able to find it.

ilfaith
11-06-2009, 02:03 PM
I love Grover....especially in the "waiter" sketches.

I am also a big fan of Bert. I think he reminded me of my dad...same unibrow. Plus the whole pigeon and bottle cap obsessions made him really seem like a character you'd meet living in NYC.

SM23Mama21
11-06-2009, 03:27 PM

[/url]

:yeahthat:

mommyp
11-06-2009, 03:51 PM
I loved Grover as a kid, Mr Hooper was my favorite person.
DD likes Ernie and Elmo best. (She always wants an Ernie diaper on, too bad he's only 1/5 of the package....)