PDA

View Full Version : Ds is invited to bday party - is it wrong to ask if I can stay too?

jess_g
11-05-2009, 10:30 PM
My 6 year old ds was invited to a bday party at an indoor play area with those giant bouncy things. Half the party is with the noisy bounce houses and half is in a seperate room with cake and opening the presents and such. Ds is in K so I suspect that the kids will be dropped off for the party and then picked up when it ends. Is it ok to ask the host if I can stay with my ds during the party? My ds wants to go to the party but he wants me to stay. He does not like loud noises so he wants me to go so he has someone to hang out with for that patt of the party. I guess I am asking you all, is it wrong to ask the host if I can stay? And what if she says no extra parents are allowed to stay?

Thanks,

Jessica.

alexsmommy
11-05-2009, 10:35 PM
I'd ask, but I'd say something like, "DS would really like to come, but he's not great with loud noises. He's asked me to stay at the party. I wanted to make sure that wouldn't impose on your plans. I'll pay my own seperate entrance fee of course." Some of these places have strict limits on the numbers and the host may have already asked some adult friends and family to stay and help and pay for them. Personally I'd be grateful if a parent knew their DC might have a hard time and offered to stay and buffer. If I wasn't at my max for entrance fee I'd tell them not to worry about paying, but if I was at my max I'd appreciate their consideration of my budget.

infomama
11-05-2009, 10:42 PM
Dd1 is in K and I actually prefer the parents to stay.

SnuggleBuggles
11-05-2009, 10:43 PM
I'd ask, but I'd say something like, "DS would really like to come, but he's not great with loud noises. He's asked me to stay at the party. I wanted to make sure that wouldn't impose on your plans. I'll pay my own seperate entrance fee of course." Some of these places have strict limits on the numbers and the host may have already asked some adult friends and family to stay and help and pay for them. Personally I'd be grateful if a parent knew their DC might have a hard time and offered to stay and buffer. If I wasn't at my max for entrance fee I'd tell them not to worry about paying, but if I was at my max I'd appreciate their consideration of my budget.

That sounds great.

Honestly, I have not been to any parties yet where there has been a problem with me staying. If I knew that it would cost them money for me to be there then I'd offer to pay. I stay without checking but like I said, it would depend on the venue. Even though ds is 7 many parents still stay (we like to socialize!).

Beth

stefani
11-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Like the other posters, I think you can certainly ask and if there is an extra fee it is great if you offer to pay. Many of the venues I go to don't charge extra for parents/ adults.

DS is in Kindergarten, too, and the idea of being left alone with 10 six-year-olds terrifies me!

Usually the parents stay to socialize with each other besides keeping an eye on their own children.

jacksmomtobe
11-05-2009, 11:58 PM
So far for all the B-day parties that DS who is in Kindergarten has attended some or all the parents have stayed. I think the Parents would appreciate an extra set of eyes especially if your child may be uncomfortable with your leaving and thus require extra attention or just not enjoy themselves at the party. I would be surprised if a venue charged extra for an adult as you would not be going on the equipment yourself. If the venue was providing the food then you should not eat any food provided. We live in NE and went to a Pump it Up Party which may be what you are attending and all the adults stayed.

jess_g
11-06-2009, 08:45 AM
So funny. Yes it is a pump it up party. Its probably the exact same place that you went to since we are in MA too.

I am going to rsvp and ask if I can come too and offfer to help at the party. I think the mom will say its fine.

Jessica.

wendmatt
11-06-2009, 09:05 AM
To tell you the truth, I wouldn't even ask, I'd just stay. DD is uncomfortable in new places and likes me to stay and it's never been a problem. Parents don't have to pay at pump it up, there's plenty of room and you'll have a blast anyways. I'm sure the other paret will be more than happy for you to stay. Have fun.

KpbS
11-06-2009, 10:44 AM
To tell you the truth, I wouldn't even ask, I'd just stay. Have fun.

:yeahthat:

Radosti
11-06-2009, 10:48 AM
I'm having that party tomorrow at Bounce U for my 4 year old. I know he's younger, but I expect the parents to stay and I only pay per kid, not per parent. Parents are free. I AM buying pizza and sodas for the parents though. But the cost is likely a non-issue. Since the parents are free. I'd be irritated if the parents didn't stay though. I'm 36 weeks pregnant and I am not watching 18 kids, even with the help of the party staff.

bubbaray
11-06-2009, 11:27 AM
To tell you the truth, I wouldn't even ask, I'd just stay.

:yeahthat:

DD#1 went to her first school b-day party in September (most kids are 5 for Kindy here) at a gymnastics place. I'm pretty sure all of the parents stayed.

Personally, having hosted both off-site and at home b-day parties, I have no problem whatsoever if parents want to stay -- particularly if they help out.