PDA

View Full Version : Hardwood in kitchen + Dyson doesn't reach under kitchen cabinets = ?

lmwbasye
11-05-2009, 11:26 PM
We are returning this Dyson and buying a new vacuum (possibly another Dyson...long story). We've been happy with it except in the kitchen. I miss our old canister for the hardwood, but it died and wasn't great except for in the kitchen (it was a Kenmore).

Trying hard NOT to get a Miele, b/c $700 is a lot to spend on a vacuum.

Anyone BTDT?

ourbabygirl
11-05-2009, 11:44 PM
Well, in our old house (built in '51, so hardwood throughout the main floor), we had to buy a canister and got a Ricar. I'm not sure of the model name/ number, but it's kind of a pearlescent orange with grey accents. It's nice and I use it in on the main floor, in our kitchen (hardwood) and laundry room (linoleum). We also have a Dyson (Animal, I think- it's purple and grey/ silver) for the carpet, and it seems to work pretty well. It's cool to be able to see everything that it picks up in the clear canister. You can also switch the setting to 'bare floors,' but I don't think it picks up as well as the Ricar, and I don't want to risk scratching up the wood more than it is already :).
Happy cleaning!

ETA I think the Ricar was around $300-400, and we bought it about 4 or 5 years ago.

niccig
11-06-2009, 02:09 AM
I have the same problem. The Dyson when in upright mode won't fit under the toe kick. My solution is to convert the dyson so you are using the hose/stick/floor attachment. For days when I don't want to drag it out, I have a stick vacuum that's also a dustbuster.

kijip
11-06-2009, 03:23 AM
I have the same situation with my upright dyson and wood floors in the kitchen (and bath). But it's not a problem here. I sweep in the kitchen from the edges to the middle and then vacuum. Since the broom got anything under the cabinets out, it's fine.

daphne
11-06-2009, 08:13 AM
I have the same problem. The Dyson when in upright mode won't fit under the toe kick. My solution is to convert the dyson so you are using the hose/stick/floor attachment. For days when I don't want to drag it out, I have a stick vacuum that's also a dustbuster.

:yeahthat:

I just can't find any stick vacuum that I love. They all seem to have really poor suction.

Andi98989
11-06-2009, 09:17 AM
I've been very happy with my super basic BISSELL Velocity

R2sweetboys
11-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Hmm, are you using the hardwood floor tool? I used to have the same problem you're having when I used it as an upright. Then I realized that I could pull out the handle and reverse it to use the stick like you would with a canister vac, with the hardwood floor attatchment. MUCH better as I can get under the cabinets,etc.

I will say though, that when we bought the Dyson we had carpet in our front to back livingroom. Now that our entire first floor is hardwood/tile I kind of wish I had a good canister like a Miele. I like my Dyson but it's heavy as heck and going from upright to stick is kind of a PITA.

BillK
11-06-2009, 09:40 AM
Hate our Dyson for hardwood - LOVE it for carpet. Love our Miele for hardwood - HATE it for carpet.

Where are you looking at Miele's? Ours was like $350ish.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
11-06-2009, 09:48 AM
My Meile is great with the hardwood attachment for getting under things, next to my Mac it is my fav purchase ever. I have the very cheapest one Anteras?? I would buy a refurbished one in a heartbeat, lots of them on ebay.

niccig
11-06-2009, 02:04 PM
:yeahthat:

I just can't find any stick vacuum that I love. They all seem to have really poor suction.

Yeah, I agree. Mine is fine for the kitchen clean up. But never for the carpet.