PDA

View Full Version : Desktop for 5 year old

blisstwins
11-06-2009, 09:39 AM
I think I want to get my children a computer for Christmas. They love being on line, but their banging around on my computer makes me nervous. My work was selling old computers for $100, but the tech guy was all crazy telling me that they are 4 years old and could break anytime, yadda yadda. Said he would never buy one, but he may just be a single tech guy with unrealistic standards! He said there are a lot of inexpensive new computers out there (I need a keyboard and monitor), but everything I am seeing is close to $600, which is much more than I want to spend. Any ideas?

egoldber
11-06-2009, 09:42 AM
You can easily get a new desktop computer for less than $200. And I agree that if they are going to be playing games and on-line, they need a newer computer vs an older one. For a younger kid, I don't think it's an issue, but you'd be surpised how memory intensive even some of the nickjr.com games are.

If you need a monitor and keyboard too, then you could be looking at $300-$400 for a package.

Did the $100 include a monitor and keyboard? What about software (Windows, basic word processing, etc.)? You would also not get any support, so that is worth something in case there is an issue.

blisstwins
11-06-2009, 09:52 AM
It included the monitor and keyboard + word for an extra $10. I thought it was a good deal, but the tech guy was really steering me away. Still, big difference between $100 and $400. I don't know. WHere can I find packages for $300-400. I have been seeing them for more like $600.

egoldber
11-06-2009, 09:56 AM
Do you get an actual hard copy of Word and Windows with that $110? In which case, it would be worth it just for the monitor, keyboard and software. (Mouse?)

Do you have a local electronics/computer super store? Even a Best Buy type place? They almost always have a bargain computer deal in their weekly ad.