PDA

View Full Version : Another H1N1 vaccine question

babybunny
11-06-2009, 04:18 PM
I've been pro - preservative free for vaccines for my son his whole life. He's 4. I have the opportunity to get him the H1N1 vaccine today at his allergy dr office, but it comes from a muti-dose bottle - so it has mercury in it. I had been holding out for the pediatrician's office, calling every day on availability. Now they have a message that the shipment will be sporadic and will only provide vaccines for their most high risk patients only.

I've been googling all afternoon. I think I'm getting dizzy from it. I can't talk to DH - he has no clue what I am talking about. He just doesn't get it. He thinks the seasonal flu vaccine he got yesterday is going to protect him from H1N1

I'm trying to understand the amount of mercury present in a serving of fish compared to the shot. Anyone have a clue?

citymama
11-06-2009, 05:02 PM
I posted a thread with this question a few weeks ago when I was faced with the same dilemma for our 3.5 yr old. I talked to our pediatrician about it, talked to doctors in our family, etc etc. Here's what I learned:

Thimerasol is a form of mercury that is more quickly processed and ejected by the body. Unlike some forms of Hg, it does not accumulate but is flushed out of the body within a 24-48 hr period.

The amount of thimerasol contained in the multi-dose H1N1 shot is less than 25 mcg. Typical mercury exposure from eating a tuna fish sandwich is more than this, about 27-30 mcg. My pediatrician said: "Have her stay away from fish the week after the vaccine if that makes you feel better."

In general, the medics I spoke to said not to worry about the thimerasol for this age group and the minuscule quantities involved. They said it was more important to get the vaccine than not to do so because of thimerasol concerns - the thim-free vaccines are only going to get more scarce, not more available. It's hard not to worry, but it was comforting to get this info.

HTH a little and good luck with your decision!

babybunny
11-06-2009, 11:46 PM
Thank you. Yes, we both got the shot tonight. Although I have to admit that this one actually hurt. Don't know if it was the needle or the nurse. Poor DS was expecting it to be like his seasonal flu shot (relatively painless) and cried afterwards. Poor baby. But he was happy to go to Dunkin Donuts and get a donut or two. I asked about the booster shot for him and the nurse mumbled something about lack of supply and that the CDC said that "maybe" it was needed over 3 and under age 9. ???

shawnandangel
11-07-2009, 12:03 AM
Babybunny,
There has been some evidence suggesting that 2 doses of the vax might not be necessary but at this time the CDC is not changing its recommendations.

babybunny
11-09-2009, 10:45 AM
We both received the vaccine (shot) on Friday night. DS woke up with a fever (over 101) and a wet cough this morning (Monday). He has an appointment to see the Dr later this afternoon.