PDA

View Full Version : What to include in Emergency Instructions letter?

ThreeofUs
11-06-2009, 06:12 PM
Hey, everyone, I need your good insights.

DH is going off for about 6 weeks-2 months to a very hard-to-access place to do his science. While there, he can't be called except through government satellites, can't get back within a week, etc.

We're putting together an emergency contacts and instructions sheet, in case something horrible happens to me. We'll leave it in the house, in the cars, in my purse, with everyone on the list and with other, trusted neighbors.

It currently has:
-where DH will be and how to get a message through to him
-contact information for two trusted, local families (one a next-door neighbor) who can take over quickly
-contact information for three family members (closest is 2.5 hours away, though both will rush here as soon as possible)
-physician information for me, H, and G

A letter to the two families has:
-info on what we hope they'll be able to do (stabilize the situation, care for kids, call DH and our family members)
-info on H and G, including school, allergies, food (in G's case)
-where our key is
-where extra car keys will be

Please tell me what I have missed. This needs to go out over the weekend, so any quick insights would be MUCH appreciated.

TIA!

saschalicks
11-06-2009, 06:43 PM
Since your DH can't be there for a week can you do a temporary Power of Attorney w/your closest family member. What if there's vital decisions to be made? I don't know if this is necessary or something you want to do, but definitely something to think about.

mecawa
11-06-2009, 06:49 PM
Since your DH can't be there for a week can you do a temporary Power of Attorney w/your closest family member. What if there's vital decisions to be made? I don't know if this is necessary or something you want to do, but definitely something to think about.

:yeahthat:

That's what I immediately thought of when I read your post. We did that when we had to leave in an emergency with my youngest daugher for a whole month and had to leave my oldest with relatives.

bubbaray
11-06-2009, 06:49 PM
Location of any medication?

Do you have pets? If so, info on their routine (vet, feeding schedule, etc).

Very thorough info, BTW. I'm impressed! :thumbsup: We have an instruction list like this for our dog (done pre-kids). I've never done anything like this for the girls, though I definitely should.

AshleyAnn
11-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Thats the same info I had in my FYI list for our family when DH is doing Army stuff and can't be contacted ASAP. I also have a POA with my dad (who knows and shares my beliefs) incase DH isn't there and action is needed.

ThreeofUs
11-06-2009, 07:40 PM
Location of any medication?

Do you have pets? If so, info on their routine (vet, feeding schedule, etc).

Very thorough info, BTW. I'm impressed! :thumbsup: We have an instruction list like this for our dog (done pre-kids). I've never done anything like this for the girls, though I definitely should.

The DOG. I forgot the dog! Oh, and my synthroid. Eek.

Thank you so much!

ThreeofUs
11-06-2009, 07:48 PM

Hmmm.... This is a very good thought, but the problem is that I wouldn't trust anyone but DH. But you're right that I should have something like that set up, thank you.

deannanb
11-06-2009, 09:17 PM
copy of insurance cards -
and make sure the emergency people are on file with the school to pick the kids up

and while hopefully not needed - maybe an overnight bag packed for the kids with extra clothes and a few toys

bigpassport
11-06-2009, 09:28 PM
In addition to what pp's have suggested . . .

Health Care Power of Attorney for you
Medical Authorization for DC's
Authorization for Temporary Guardianship of DC's

Do the families you anticipate taking care of DC's have money to take care of them? If not, some way to provide money for them.

Yay for you for being so responsible!

ThreeofUs
11-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Thank you all! I'll be using your suggestions.

MamaKath
11-07-2009, 01:07 PM
:yeahthat:

That's what I immediately thought of when I read your post. We did that when we had to leave in an emergency with my youngest daugher for a whole month and had to leave my oldest with relatives.
Me too! Not sure if I missed this, but I would also have some of your medical info available as there are certainly circumstances that could incapacitate you very completely in addition to the kids info.

dcmom2b3
11-07-2009, 01:09 PM
:thumbsup: Great thread!

Now I'm off to do the very same thing. My affairs are generally in order, but I do need to put more specific instructions in the hands of my family/trusted friends.

amldaley
11-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Check these out...military folks do these all the time.

This is a great form to use...

www.mfp.usmc.mil/.../C.C.EMERGENCY%20DATA%20SHEET.doc

This has a blank Special Power of Atty and a checklist

http://www.marines.mil/news/publications/Documents/MCO%201740.13A.pdf

Scroll down to the last couple of pages.

Be sure to check the laws in your state. In some states, you must legally declare a caregiver for your children, otherwise, say you are incapacitated, they will go to foster care until your husband can be reached (whether you have a friend or neighbor who wants them or not...must be written down!)

Use Special Powers of Atty to designate things like childcare, banking issues, etc. Many places wont accept a General Power of Atty.

Be sure to include maps or directions with landmarks, not just addresses. If someone has to go find your hubby at his secret location in the middle of the night, an address might not be enough.

Test spare keys. We had a bunch made to give to family and none worked!

---

ETA: If that first link does not, Google USMC Emergency Contact Sheet and click the first link or I can cut and paste the contents here for you.

ThreeofUs
11-07-2009, 08:11 PM
WOW! Thank you! These are great resources!