PDA

View Full Version : WWYD, if anything?

Mommy Of A Little Angel
11-06-2009, 06:19 PM
DD's soccer team decided to have one of the mother's take pictures instead of the professional photographer because she offered and everyone agreed it would be a lot cheaper. So, one morning before the game, the mom took pics of each kid individually and then one of the team. It took about 15 minutes tops. The mom brought the pics in the next week. It was one team pic, 6 small "sports" card pics, and one 5x7. They were done at Sam's so I know it cost $2.25/kid.

Here's the thing, she asked for $10 from each kid. I mean, I understand that she took time to do them and all, but that's quite the mark-up, imo! Would you say anything to her or just let it go?

KrisM
11-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Did she give the price first? If so, I definitely wouldn't question it now.

If she didn't, then, I'd just pay it and remember for later.

We paid $12 for a sheet of wallets, 2 5x7 and a team photo.

TwinFoxes
11-06-2009, 06:40 PM
I'm guessing price wasn't discussed beforehand? Maybe she's trying to start a business, so she thinks she can charge more. What do you feel is a fair price? It's probably only a matter of a few dollars difference between that and what she's charging. It might not be worth hard feelings. I really think the coach, or whoever was in charge, should have let you all know beforehand how much it would be.

Mommy Of A Little Angel
11-06-2009, 06:50 PM
Did she give the price first? If so, I definitely wouldn't question it now.

No, price was not stated upfront. She said she would get them done at Sam's because it was cheap. I totally understand her making some money - it took her time and effort for sure. I just think it's a high mark-up. $5/person sounds better to me (she'd still make like $2.75/kid).

$10 is not a lot for pictures at all, I just was a little put off by how much she paid vs. charged. DH is coach but I know he would never say anything! ;)

bubbaray
11-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Is she giving the "profit" to the team?

vonfirmath
11-06-2009, 06:54 PM
I'd expect if you brought in a mom instead of a professional, you'd expect significantly cheaper costs (that's the reason for doing it)

If they really cost $2.25/kid for what she provided, I'd expect no MORE than $5 (And only $5 cause it would make it easy to do change. $3 would be better) This would not be a Business, as I'd see it, but a volunteer.

Ceepa
11-06-2009, 06:55 PM
I wouldn't say anything but a big part of me would want to say, "Wow. I like the photo package you put together and was thinking about sending out something similar for the holidays. So how much did each package cost? About $10, right?"

Man, I'm snarky today.

Mommy Of A Little Angel
11-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Is she giving the "profit" to the team?

Nope, she isn't.

AshleyAnn
11-06-2009, 06:56 PM
I wouldn't buy them. I can shot my own photos of my kid and I'm not a big group photo person so I'd skip it on principle. I'm a big believer in not making money off your friends - or your children's friends.

bubbaray
11-06-2009, 06:59 PM
I would take it up with the coach/team manager. I think that markup is too high and the fact that the cost wasn't clarified/disclosed to the parents beforehand doesn't sit well with me.

I would clarify that if professional photographers are not used in the future and if a parent wants to do this, they will not profit on it and will do it at cost or as a fundraiser for the team.

However, for this season, I think she has you all over a barrel. If you want team photos, you have to pay, KWIM?

vonfirmath
11-06-2009, 07:00 PM
I'd either say something to her or just not purchase them. With your husband being the coach and unwilling to say anything, it limits what you can do.

bubbaray
I wouldn't buy them. I can shot my own photos of my kid and I'm not a big group photo person so I'd skip it on principle. I'm a big believer in not making money off your friends - or your children's friends.

Kids really do like group shots of their activities/school. Its kinda hard to not buy the class/team photos IME.

Mommy Of A Little Angel

Unfortunately, not an option since she handed each player their pictures last week. They are already printed so I feel obligated to pay her. Obviously, this is a big lesson in setting the price BEFORE the pictures!

On the other hand, she offered when the team decided to do our own pics so I did not think she would be trying to make money off of it. Lesson learned!

vonfirmath
11-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Ah. She printed them off BEFORE getting money. That also sorta explains why some markup -- so she gets paid even if some people decide not to buy them.

Melbel
11-06-2009, 07:38 PM
My husband coaches DD1's team and I offered to take the pictures free of charge. I printed an 8x12" collage (including team photo, head shots and action shots of each player) and a 5x7 (individual plus team photo w/ name, team name, date, etc.) for each child a put them in gift bags with the team trophy. I spent hours taking, editing, uploading, emailing and making the personalized items. I NEVER thought for a moment to charge for the photos, let alone profit from the effort. At the same time, assuming the quality was reasonably good, I would not make a fuss if someone tried to charge me $10 because it is still less expensive than the professionals.

ETA: How was the quality for what she did? How did it compare to the professional shots?

BillK
11-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Did she do any sort of post processing on the pics before having them printed?

I know I've spent literally hours and hours on some family shots with Photoshop that I've done for family members getting them "just right" for printing. Obviously I didn't charge my family for it, but if that's what she did perhaps that's her reason?

s7714
11-06-2009, 08:26 PM
If the price wasn't discussed in advance I wouldn't say anything now. The next time she offers her services however, I'd definitely make it clear you know how much the prints cost and discuss what her mark-up will be!

stella
11-06-2009, 08:33 PM
I guess I am in the minority, because I think $10 is totally reasonable. Plus she spent the time photographing, deciding which shots were best, printing, sorting, etc.

We are paying around $20 for the cheapest packages around here for school pictures...$10 sounds like a bargain to me.

TwinFoxes
11-06-2009, 08:39 PM
On the other hand, she offered when the team decided to do our own pics so I did not think she would be trying to make money off of it. Lesson learned!

See, I didn't get that you guys decided to do them yourselves and she volunteered...I thought she came to you and said I'll do them, it will be cheaper, kind of implying she'd still charge, just not as much. Now I can see why you assumed there wouldn't be much of a markup.

However...

Did she do any sort of post processing on the pics before having them printed?

I know I've spent literally hours and hours on some family shots with Photoshop that I've done for family members getting them "just right" for printing. Obviously I didn't charge my family for it, but if that's what she did perhaps that's her reason?

...This is a very good point. My SIL hired a crap photographer for her wedding photos. The photographs I took were TONS better. Luckily I love taking pictures and got some really special ones of her and her dad (who sadly died two years later.) I spent a lot of time on photoshop after she asked me to make her a CD....more time than her lame photographer did I bet. I didn't charge of course, but I can see how it would take the "volunteer" a lot of time that you don't see.

baileygirl
11-07-2009, 02:28 AM
I am curious how they turned out...better or worse then what the reg team photographer would have done?

ellies mom
11-07-2009, 03:01 AM
I guess I am in the minority, because I think $10 is totally reasonable. Plus she spent the time photographing, deciding which shots were best, printing, sorting, etc.

We are paying around $20 for the cheapest packages around here for school pictures...$10 sounds like a bargain to me.

:yeahthat:

Globetrotter
11-07-2009, 03:03 AM
My initial thought is that $10 is quite reasonable compared to professional pics, IF the quality is similar. Personally, I take pictures as a volunteer effort in addition to official pictures, and I just send the parents a link to google albums so they can download full size images and do as they wish. For me, it's a hobby (i have a great semi-pro camera) and something I do for all of my groups. If I was printing them out, I would probably have charged my actual cost and considered my time to be a volunteer effort.