PDA

View Full Version : Ugh. Water damage appeared on ceiling

Ceepa
11-07-2009, 09:44 AM
Last night DH and I were sitting in the living room and noticed a wet, slightly bulging spot on the ceiling. The puffy part is about two inches across and a damp area about four inches across surrounds it. :irked:

The master bathroom is right above. We looked around and cannot figure out where the water came from. No obvious signs of leakage on the floor or down a wall so I think there may be a leak around one of the tub jets or the faucet ?? I really don't know!

We have one of those plastic molded tub surrounds so if it's behind there I can't imagine that would be easy to discover.

So do we call a plumber? A general contractor? Is this a multi-person fix?

egoldber
11-07-2009, 09:45 AM
Call a plumber ASAP! You may have a leak in the wall.

ETA: Did you look under the sink at the joints connecting the pipes to the faucets? These often fail.

Snow mom
11-07-2009, 09:48 AM
Plumber-- no point in fixing the ceiling until you know where the water is coming from.

SnuggleBuggles
11-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Same thing happened to us recently. I called the plumber and simply said, "we noticed water damage on the ceiling and need to figure out what is causing it." Someone came out that day and checked things over.

Beth

Ceepa
11-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Thanks. I'm calling someone now.

Ceepa
11-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Call a plumber ASAP! You may have a leak in the wall.

ETA: Did you look under the sink at the joints connecting the pipes to the faucets? These often fail.

Yup. Checked under the sink. But will check again in case it got worse overnight. :(

MamaKath
11-07-2009, 10:01 AM
So do we call a plumber? A general contractor? Is this a multi-person fix?
If you checked under the sink, around the toilet, etc. call a plumber. That is typical of a small leak over a period of time. It needs dealing with asap.

Good luck!

brittone2
11-07-2009, 01:22 PM
We had a leak where the pipe in the wall met the shower faucet (I think...DH did the plumbing check). We had to cut out a section of the wall to find where it was coming from. We didn't get ceiling damage, but the water ran down the wall of my pantry downstairs...thankfuly it was totally obvious right away as it made it easier to keep it from getting worse.

I think DH and my dad (both pretty handy) used some sort of special epoxy to fix the pipe and then did some caulking around the shower faucet, etc. Details are a little fuzzy now. I wasn't really paying attention ;)

infomama
11-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Ugh..that sucks. DH recently drilled a hole in one of our pipes by accident and once we got it repaired we had a water spot on the ceiling on the first floor. It wasn't really near the bathroom where the pipe was damaged but as the plumber reminded us that water follows the path of least resistance so you may need to do some investigating to figure out the source. GL

catpagmo
11-07-2009, 04:51 PM
We had a similar problem. Same set up, with the master bath right above the living room, except out leak was huge. Approx. a 2 ft x 3 ft wet bulge in the ceiling. Anyway, we called a plumber, and found that there was a leak under the lip of the bench in our shower. The caulking was coming off. We called a water damage company to come out and cut and dry the ceiling, and we were left with a large hole there. We re-caulked, and have not had a problem since. Needless to say, we just got our ceiling fixed last weekend, nearly two years after the leak. ;)

Ceepa
11-08-2009, 10:36 AM
It seems like the gasket behind the waste overflow was loose. We're assuming that was the culprit and are keeping an eye on the ceiling patch in the living room. Leaking water is the worst. We lived with a wet basement in our last house and that was a headache to deal with and to fix before we could sell it.