PDA

View Full Version : H1N1 & psychological impact on children

bubbaray
11-07-2009, 11:40 AM
I thought this was a really interesting article:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health/h1n1-swine-flu/children-are-worried-sick-over-h1n1s-spread/article1354891/

BabyMine
11-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Interesting article. I never thought of how it would effect children.

niccig
11-07-2009, 02:01 PM
I think it is very important for us to be mindful of what we say around our kids. They hear much more than we think and don't fully understand. A friend of mine worries very much and is vocal about it. I babysat for them and in his evening prayers her 4 yo prayed that his baby brother would not get swine flu and die. A 4 yo should not have this anxiety. You can talk about washing hands, how to cough etc, without scaring your kids.

egoldber
11-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Having a kid who tends to be anxious I am always extremely careful what I say around her about this stuff. Even when you think they are not paying attention, they are always watching and listening. And I never listen to the news or radio with her in the car either. There's just no need for her to know this stuff.

m448
11-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Having a kid who tends to be anxious I am always extremely careful what I say around her about this stuff. Even when you think they are not paying attention, they are always watching and listening. And I never listen to the news or radio with her in the car either. There's just no need for her to know this stuff.

yes this - as an anxious kid growing up watching the news my parents had on was a torturous affair.

octmom
11-07-2009, 02:52 PM

Same here. A family we know in our town lost their 9 y.o. son to H1N1 last month. He had a severe reaction (and had with a previous bout of influenza 2 years ago too) and went into cardiac arrest. DS has no idea about this, and he doesn't cross paths with the family, so I felt like I was able to shield him from it. If he knew, I think he would be very, very scared.

baileygirl
11-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Thanks for posting...it is a fine balance because you want your kids to wash their hands, not touch their face, cover their coughs, understand why they need a shot, etc...but most likely they will be okay.