PDA

View Full Version : How many magazine subscriptions does your Household have?

alien_host
11-07-2009, 02:51 PM
I go through spurts but right now I get a ton of magazines...

Real Simple
Better Homes and Gardens
Parents
Family Fun (through 2015...not sure how that happened!)
I just ordered Good Housekeeping for $4
DH gets This Old House
DD gets High Five

Melaine
11-07-2009, 02:54 PM
I voted 2-3 but I think it might be more. I have to say I will not be renewing anything next year. I think I need a break from the paper mess always piling up. I haven't been reading them as much as I used to either.

klwa
11-07-2009, 02:55 PM
I think we get 3. Family Fun, another parenting one whose name I can never remember taht I don't know how I'm getting, and the kids get Wild Animal Baby. I just bought another through a school group, but I'm hoping it'll start up about the same time the random parenting mag ends.

egoldber
11-07-2009, 02:57 PM
I can't even list them all, so I'm sure it's more than 8. It's kind of sad actually since we have cancelled a ton. The problem is we keep having airline miles expire and using them for those.

Right now I know we get....

Bon Appetit
Vegeterian Times
Working Mother
Family Fun (although this may have finally expired)
Car&Driver
Road&Track
Autoweek
Ranger Rick

And DH gets several work related periodicals.

WitMom
11-07-2009, 03:07 PM
I think 6?

Family Fun
Ladies Home Journal (MIL sent it to me)
Redbook (MIL sent it to me)
Woman's Day (MIL sent it to me)
The New Yorker
High Five

Those are all I can think of, but it seems like there are more always laying around here? Most of these could expire and I would never notice.

roobee
11-07-2009, 03:13 PM
I keep getting free ones, or they're so cheap that I can't resist). The most I've paid for any of these is $5 for Real Simple.

Real Simple
Wired
Bon Appetit
Popular Science
Popular Mechanics
Good Housekeeping
Family Fun
Everyday Food
Rachael Ray
Better Homes & Gardens
Forbes
Cookie
Experience Life
Oprah

wellyes
11-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Tons, darn that Slickdeals deals

Vegetarian Times
New Yorker
The Economist
Entertainment Weekly
Popular Mechanics
Grassroots Motorsports
SportsCar
AutoWeek
Real Simple
Redbook
Family Handyman
Family Fun
Parents
Parenting (waste of paper)
Cookie (I *hate* Cookie but they ignore my attempts to cancel)
Backpacking
.... and there's one about hunting/outdoors, I forget the name, Field& Stream maybe? I think I got it free for signing up for a state park campground online. SO WEIRD to get a magazine with guns on the cover. But it's a well-written, entertaining magazine overall.

The only one I pay more than a few bucks a year for is the New Yorker and for DH, Grassroots Motorsports. Also, The Economist is ridiculously expensive but we got it with our airline miles.

AnnieW625
11-07-2009, 04:04 PM
We have:
Parents (free with Elite Carseats purchase)
Cooking Light ($12 for 2 yrs!)
American Rifleman (included with NRA membership)

I have been tempted to get Good Housekeeping, and Consumers Reports but I read those when I go and visit my Grandparents so no big loss if they aren't in my house all the time.

srkaplan
11-07-2009, 05:16 PM
I think only 3 or 4 that we've actually paid for, but my husband keeps getting random subscriptions that we can't figure out. At one point, he was getting Rolling Stone and Details, he just recently started getting Entertainment Weekly. Anyone know why or how we would get subscriptions that we didn't sign up for?

kijip
11-07-2009, 05:39 PM
With the 3-4 magazines Toby gets, we are over 8. We will renew all. We read them

srhs
11-07-2009, 05:52 PM
Too many.
Because I haven't read a single one, and my magazine rack is overflowing. I would much rather come to the BBB.

kozachka
11-07-2009, 05:56 PM
I have just signed up for Marie Claire magazine subscription via Amazon. Could not resist the deal - 2 years for $5. If I buy two magazines in two years, the subscription is cheaper. So I voted 2-3 magazines:

Marie Claire - $5 for 2 years
Business Week - free
Elle - free for 3 months, just ran out

I am thinking of getting DH subscription to National Enquire since he buys it every time he sees a new issue in the store. Any idea how I can get a good deal on the 'yellow press' magazines?

Puddy73
11-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Too many, thanks to some awesome Amazon deals:

Family Fun
National Geographic
Smart Money
Real Simple
Wired
Cook's Illustrated
Food Network
Southern Living (gift from MIL)
Cookie (freebie)

Plus some trade publications for both DH and I. Wow, that is an embarrassing amount of paper!

caleymama
11-07-2009, 06:40 PM
Hmmm, good question! Let me think:

Traditional Bowhunter
Primitive Archer
Field & Stream
Outdoor Life
Trail Runner
New York State Conservationist
New York Outdoor News (in newspaper format, but it comes every 2 weeks)
National Geographic Little Kids
Mothering
Brain, Child
Kiwi (freebie)
Cook's Illustrated
and I get Parenting School Years from my Mom b/c she gets it for some reason

Also, I know my Mom just ordered Highlights and Highlights High Five for DDs.

DebbieJ
11-07-2009, 06:43 PM
I voted 0, but we do get a church magazine every month that comes for free and MIL recently bought DS a sub to Highlights, although it hasn't arrived yet.

Bottom line is we dont' get any that we have signed up/paid for. :)

gobadgers
11-07-2009, 06:54 PM
We have too many. I like almost all of them though.

Wild Animal Baby (for DD)
Vegetarian Times
Cooking Light
Scholastic
Family Fun
Parents
Readers Digest
National Geographic
Newsweek

I thought I had a subscription to Parenting too, but come to think about it I haven't seen it in several months.

Around Christmas time, Wild Animal Baby will switch over to DS's name, and DD will get the next one up (My Big Backyard, I think?)

Also I'm DYING to get a subscription to Cooks Illustrated. So far hints to MIL (who turned me on to it) haven't worked.

And lastly, I'd gladly trade them all in if Wondertime would start up again. I miss that magazine!

dcmom2b3
11-07-2009, 07:04 PM
I voted none, but realized that I do get membership journals from the bar. Don't know whether that counts or not.

I used to love magazines, but I can't manage one.more. piece. of. paper. in this house. Seriously, DD's homework/art projects are more than I can manage.

bluestarfish18
11-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Ugh..far too many.

Allure
Better Homes & Gardens
Sunset
Woman's Day (don't have a clue where this one came from)
Newsweek
Time
Smithsonian
Men's Journal
Women's Fitness
Parents
Parenting
Family Fun
Real Simple
Food Network
Paula Deen
Surf
Islands
Budget Travel
Imprimis
Travel & Leisure...or whatever the now bankrupt Conde Naste is going to send me
Army Aviation

Not to mention the rediculous amount of catalogs that flood my small mailbox everyday.

1964pandora
11-07-2009, 07:28 PM
Canadian Home and Garden-- LOVE-- my Domino replacement)
Country Living-- Love it, it's classic, beautiful country, but I live in the suburbs
Southern Living-- Love, but don't live in the deep South!
Victoria-- not my decorating style, but I still like it
Real Simple-- too many ads for me
Readers Digest-- eh
Good Housekeeping-- eh
National Review-- need it to balance my daily Washington Post
The New Yorker-- sometimes love

For the Kids:
Ladybug
Click
Ranger Rick
Highlights
My Big Backyard

MontrealMum
11-07-2009, 09:33 PM
Martha Stewart Living (gift from my dad every year - I'd like to cancel, but I think he might be hurt)
In Style
Self
Nordic Reach (from my mom)
Outside
Wild Animal Baby

I also get a number of professional journals and newsletters, but you said magazine, so I didn't count them. I think we might be closer to 15 if I did.

jgenie
11-07-2009, 09:52 PM
I hadn't renewed most of my subscriptions because I don't get to read them, but with all the Amazon deals I've added them back.

We currently receive:
Wine Spectator
The Economist
National Geographic
Bon Appetit
Real Simple
O Magazine
Guideposts
Angels
Good Housekeeping
Parents
Family Fun
Parenting
Vegetarian Times
Mothering
Brain, Child

YIKES - I had no idea!!

bubbaray
11-07-2009, 09:56 PM
I voted none, but realized that I do get membership journals from the bar. Don't know whether that counts or not.

Ugh. Those do NOT count, tell me they don't. I just toss mine in the recycling at work. The work ones alone are 3.

I didn't vote correctly -- I just voted for me.

I get 3 at work, 4 at home, DD#1 gets one, DH gets one or two at home, not sure how many he gets at work.

mecawa
11-07-2009, 10:15 PM
We subscribe to-
Parents
Cooking Light
Consumer Reports
This Old House
Woodsmith

We use to have a bunch more too, but I cancelled because we weren't really reading them.

MommyAllison
11-08-2009, 01:44 AM
I don't even know. We just had expiring air miles, so used them for subscriptions. I can't remember which ones I chose. We also have a free year of Organic Gardening. If you'd asked 3 months ago, it would have been zero.

alien_host
11-08-2009, 02:29 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets a lot of mags! most were free or cheap. I figured if I buy 1 issue for $4 at the store I might as well subscribe for $5 a year.

BTW I thought I read that Cookie has been canceled...you might end up with a subscription (or extension) to something else, I believe that's how I ended up with Family Fun until 2015 (seriously) due to Wondertime being cancelled (and I had the 2 year free sub).

lizzywednesday
11-08-2009, 06:48 PM

BTW I thought I read that Cookie has been canceled...

Yes, Cookie has gone belly-up; it was one of the Conde-Nast magazines that were cut, along with Gourmet and two of their wedding magazines (I believe they were Modern Bride & Elegant Bride, but I haven't paid much attention.)

Sillygirl
11-08-2009, 08:08 PM
I'm going to have to type the list to get a count:

The Economist
Entertainment Weekly
Atlantic Monthly
Vegetarian Times
Animal Baby
Your Big Backyard
Consumer Reports
Windows Pro
JASN/ CJASN/ NephSAP/ Kidney Weekly (trade, but super-expensive, so I'm counting them)

We just had a bunch of airline miles subscriptions lapse, but EW sent me a deal for $10 for another year, so I kept that one.

michellerw
11-08-2009, 09:05 PM
Most of ours come through airline miles:

The Atlantic
Harpers
The New Yorker
The Economist
Forbes
Time
Newsweek

We also get the Washington Post and the Chronicle of Higher Ed (for DH's and my work).

We really should get Washingtonian, since I buy it almost every month.

maestramommy
11-08-2009, 09:36 PM
At the moment we're getting

Atlantic
Christian Science Monitor
Parents
Spectrum (IEEE)

However, Dh isn't overly impressed with the CSM, and I've kind outgrown Parents, so we will probably not be renewing those. We also get our alumni magazines. I'm pretty impressed with the quality of the Gazette (UPenn, Dh's alma mater).