PDA

View Full Version : What age for a balance bike?

HIU8
11-07-2009, 11:11 PM
DD will be 2 1/2 and we were thinking of getting her a balance bike. Is she to young for it? Where is the best place to get one if she is the right age?

brittone2
11-07-2009, 11:14 PM
DS got his at 3 and that was perfect for him. He is/was a more cautious kid so I don't think he would have been ready at 2.5. DD will be 3 in Dec. and has been eyeing DS's bike up for a while now. She probably could have used it at 2.5 but he still uses it a lot so she's been using the trike.

AlbrightRC
11-08-2009, 12:35 PM
http://www.striderrider.com/?gclid=CICvu_Hj4JwCFZJM5Qod4wm5Jw
Our son will be 18months at christmas and he is getting this one from his grandparents..He tried one at about 13-14 months old and seemed to like it.

stefani
11-08-2009, 12:41 PM
My DS got a trike when he was 2.25 years old (Christmas present), but did not get a balance bike until he was 4 years old (birthday present), and then rode a 2-wheeler when he turned 6 (birthday present). He never had a bike with training wheels.

He doesn't get a lot of chance to practice riding, so that has an effect, too. DS is also on the small side, so I had to wait until the bike is not too big for him.

Does your DD have a trike? I would think that once she can pedal well she can move to a balance bike if her size allows it.

DS has a Kinderbike, from kinderbike.com.

GL!

KrisM
11-08-2009, 01:44 PM
We got one when DD was 2 and she didn't do much with it. This year, she loved it. But, she's a summer baby and we don't ride in winter, so she was about 2.75 when we got it out for her. She's riding a regular 2-wheeler now at not quite 3.5.

niccig
11-08-2009, 03:01 PM
We waited until DS was 3 - he's short and I had to wait until he was tall enough to sit on the seat and feet touch the ground. 9 months later and he rode a regular pedal bike and no training wheels. We gave the balance bike to DS's cousin, he's 2.5 yo but still not tall enough, and he'll probably have to wait until 3 yo.