PDA

View Full Version : Spacing out antibiotic doses

KrisM
11-08-2009, 12:01 AM
DS1 has a prescription that says to give it every 8 hours for 10 days. I'm trying to figure out the best times.

We leave for the bus at 8:15am and he gets home at 4:15pm, so 8 hours later. But, another 8 hours is 12:15am. I am not awake then and would rather not wake me and DS up for the medicine. If I do it earlier at night, say 10pm, then I'm at 2pm and 6am. He's usually up at 6am, but is at school at 2pm.

What do you normally do? I plan on talking to the pharmacist tomorrow, but figured I'd get some ideas first.

jerigirl
11-08-2009, 12:06 AM
DS1 has a prescription that says to give it every 8 hours for 10 days. I'm trying to figure out the best times.

We leave for the bus at 8:15am and he gets home at 4:15pm, so 8 hours later. But, another 8 hours is 12:15am. I am not awake then and would rather not wake me and DS up for the medicine. If I do it earlier at night, say 10pm, then I'm at 2pm and 6am. He's usually up at 6am, but is at school at 2pm.

What do you normally do? I plan on talking to the pharmacist tomorrow, but figured I'd get some ideas first.

Does it actually say every 8 hours or 3 times a day? What is the medication?

Piglet
11-08-2009, 12:17 AM
I usually do one first thing in the morning and one last thing before bed with the middle dose smack dab between the other 2 (e.g. 7 am/2 pm/9pm). My school will give abx with a note from home. The worst are the ones that have to be taken with meals or the ones that can not be taken with meals - they always screw me up!

KrisM
11-08-2009, 09:24 AM
It's penicillin and it says every 8 hours.

No way could I do it at school. He is fighting it completely.

I can't see how I'm going to fight him for 28 more doses of this. Not fun.

ThreeofUs
11-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Can you get another rx for something easier for him to take?

KrisM
11-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Can you get another rx for something easier for him to take?

I called the regular doc this morning and just picked up a different Rx that is only once a day for 5 days and is cherry, which he likes.

ThreeofUs
11-08-2009, 01:13 PM
I called the regular doc this morning and just picked up a different Rx that is only once a day for 5 days and is cherry, which he likes.

Smart mommy! You were all over this. Good job.

jerigirl
11-08-2009, 01:25 PM

Oh much better!

KrisM
11-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Oh much better!

And, it was! He took it with no complaints at all. So glad I called for soemthing different. She did warn me that it's not as effective as penicillin for strep, but since he was mostly spitting out the pen., it wasn't really going to be effective either :).