PDA

View Full Version : Hypo-Allergenic Earrings?

Wife_and_mommy
11-08-2009, 11:48 AM
There was a thread a while back where a couple people mentioned they were allergice to gold. Could you share what type, if any, earrings you wear?

DD would flip over earrings for Xmas but her sensitivity to 14k gold has left me dazed about other options. I don't want to spend upwards of $50 on earrings she'll be allergic to.

Thanks for any advice.

ETA: Her ears have been pierced since she was a baby. She just hasn't worn earrings in over 2 years due to her sensitivity.

Swimfreak78
11-08-2009, 12:11 PM
FWIW - I've been able to start wearing earnings again after having allergy troubles. I had them coated at Kay's -- not sure what with. I also dip them in neosporin before wearing!

michellerw
11-08-2009, 12:17 PM
I buy surgical steel posts when possible.

As an adult, the problem isn't as significant as it was as a child. In part I think because my ear holes are more closed after 30+ years of pierced ears. I am very sensitive to nickel; however, silver is the biggest problem for me and a day of silver earrings will still cause real problems. Gold (especially at higher ratings) is less of a problem because there is less nickel.

The best posts for me have always been surgical steel.

Melaine
11-08-2009, 12:20 PM
My doctor said I am allergic to Nickel. I haven't been able to wear any earrings so far. I actually can't wear any jewelry at all, not even my wedding ring. I have yet to try platinum. I'll have to try the coating thing, thanks Swimfreak78.

michellerw
11-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Melaine, after my aunt's second baby, she developed a nickel allergy something awful. My uncle had all of her wedding bands reset in platinum.

I have the nickel allergy too and my white gold wedding bands are 18k as a result. It's usually not a problem (less nickel the higher the karat count) but I have to say that since I've been pregnant everything sets me off. I bruised myself scratching an itch from god knows what the other day.

elephantmeg
11-08-2009, 04:02 PM
simply whispers (www.simplywhispers.com). I can wear other things for an hour or 2 but I live in my simply whispers!

Wife_and_mommy
11-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Thanks for all the responses! My DD is *so* not getting platinum anything before her mama does. :ROTFLMAO:I appreciate all the options given. DD will be thrilled to wear earrings again. :love-retry:

aa2mama
11-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Titanium! My ears are super sensitive. I can't wear any gold, sterling silver, or "hypoallergenic" earrings, but I can wear titanium 24/7 without any problems. I got mine from DERMAdoctor, Blomdahl brand.

http://www.dermadoctor.com/brand_Blomdahl_150.html

I'm going to have to check out those simply whispers, too!