PDA

View Full Version : here we go again - a SS container that I can send milk in to school?

almostmom
11-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Our new Siggs have a lining that is peeling. Argh! I need something that is safe and easy to clean that I can send to school with my kids everyday. We do put milk in, so the tops need to be able to be cleaned, which is why I like Siggs. But no more! Right now they use the small Siggs -- I returned the old ones and got the new ones with new liners.

I know there have been lots of threads on this, but I don't remember seeing what I was looking for. I guess I'm open to non-BPA plastic too.

Thanks!

schums
11-08-2009, 01:26 PM
We use the funtainers from Thermos for lunch. DS takes milk every single day and it works great. If you follow the directions, it'll keep milk cold for hours. They have a wider neck than the Siggs, so they're easier to clean. I have a bottle brush (think baby bottle) that I use to clean the inside, and Dr. Brown's brushes to clean the straw parts.

new_mommy25
11-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Funtatiners. They keep the milk cold and you can run the straws through the dishwasher.

vludmilla
11-08-2009, 01:48 PM
I lover Funtainers for this too.

almostmom
11-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Thanks, so I guess I'll look into Funtainers. Where do you buy them, and the brushes for the straws? Or does the dishwasher get them really clean so they don't get moldy?

Thanks!

almostmom
11-08-2009, 02:59 PM
One more question - is Foogo basically the same thing, just in SS?

niccig
11-08-2009, 03:04 PM
I use the Rubbermaid Litterless drink container. Its plastic. I put milk in it first thing in the morning and then into the freezer. I get it out just before we leave the house - that and an ice block keep it cold.

MMMommy
11-08-2009, 03:29 PM
One more question - is Foogo basically the same thing, just in SS?

We both Funtainers and Foogos. Same thing, except Foogo is solid color pink or blue instead of licensed characters/designs. Both are made by Thermos brand.

connor_mommy
11-08-2009, 04:25 PM
Thanks, so I guess I'll look into Funtainers. Where do you buy them, and the brushes for the straws? Or does the dishwasher get them really clean so they don't get moldy?

Thanks!

You can get them at Target and Babies R Us. At Target, the funtainers are in lunchbox aisle and the brushed should be in the baby section. Babies R Us has the Foogos. The last time I was there they had Little Einsteins and Mickey Mouse. Toys R Us only carries the thermos during the back to school time.

american_mama
11-08-2009, 11:17 PM
I've been round on this, including two posts on this board, and didn't want to pay for the 2-4 Funtainers that I would need. I used to use sippy cups, which leaked occasionally but were cheap and easy to put in the washer. Then DD1 said kids were saying it was baby-ish and she started revolting against them.

I tried using the glass bottles from ready-made Starbucks Frappucino (sold in 4 packs at grocery and convenience stores), but they leak a little. It's a bit random and it's not a lot of leakage, so you might want to try them (4 packs are $4-8) but it irritated me and I demoted them to backup status. Be warned: some schools don't allow glass in the lunch boxes, although DD's school could care less.

I ended up going with the Rubbermaid plastic juicebox-like things. $3.84 each at Kroger. I personally did not like them when I was working and packing a lucnh, but my kids aren't complaining at all and they havent' leaked yet.

In sepetember, Starbucks in my grocery store had a stainless steel cup that was a slightly smaller, less rugged version of Funtainer. It was a comparable price, like $11 or so. You could look for that, but it would probably be easier to just look for the funtainer.

american_mama
11-08-2009, 11:20 PM
I've been round on this, including two posts on this board, and didn't want to pay for the 2-4 Funtainers that I would need. I used to use sippy cups, which leaked occasionally but were cheap and easy to put in the washer. Then DD1 said kids were saying it was baby-ish and she started revolting against them.

I tried using the glass bottles from ready-made Starbucks Frappucino (sold in 4 packs at grocery and convenience stores for $4-8), but they leak a little. It's a bit random and it's not a lot of leakage, so you might want to try them but it irritated me enough that I demoted them to backup status. Be warned: some schools don't allow glass in the lunch boxes, although DD's school could care less.

I ended up going with the Rubbermaid plastic juicebox-like things. $3.84 each at Kroger. I personally did not like them when I was working and packing a lucnh, but my kids aren't complaining at all and they havent' leaked yet.

Katigre
11-08-2009, 11:28 PM
We love our Klean Kanteens - they have a wider opening than Siggs, no lining (b/c they're stainless steel), and lids and bottles are super easy to clean.

kozachka
11-09-2009, 03:17 PM
I use Funtainers to pack DS lunch and milk for school. If you have AAA, you can get 10% discount by buying them from Target online. You get free shipping if your order is $50 or more. HTH!

You might pay a bit more for Funtainers upfront but you won't waste money on trying cheaper options that go out of comission much sooner. Plus time is valuable, too.

almostmom
11-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Do you always get 10% off at target with AAA membership? How does one go about getting the discount?

Thanks!

kozachka
11-10-2009, 03:26 AM
You get 10% off if you shop at Target online. You can look up details at AAA website under discounts section here (http://www.csaa.com/portal/site/CSAA/menuitem.cbfb5cdd5ca6fc59bbb89672738181ca/?vgnextoid=21e0fb970485c110VgnVCM1000008712daceRCR D&CMP=1000180).