PDA

View Full Version : Is this H1N1? and WWYD

kristenk
11-08-2009, 04:31 PM
DD woke up this morning and said that she didn't want to have any cake at her friend's birthday party today. For DD, that's a major out-of-the-ordinary statement! We asked if she felt okay and she said she did. A few hours later, she was acting crankier and admitted that she felt "a little yucky." Right after that, she complained of being cold and had a temp right at 100.

Her temp is still hovering at 100. No new congestion. No new cough. She's been a little congested with an off-and-on cough since she got the H1N1 mist 10 days ago. Yep, she got the H1N1 mist on Thursday, Oct. 29.

Sooooooo, is it possible that this is H1N1? I'm assuming that it's possible considering she just got the first dose of the vax. If it's H1N1, can she be tested considering she got the mist 10 days ago? It seems as if her temp is sticking to around 100 and she's feeling okay, but spending most of the afternoon on the couch. Should I call the ped in the morning and tell her all of this and see what she wants us to do? WWYD???

(I'll admit right here that DD will come unhinged if she finds out that she needs to get tested for the flu. She had the swab-in-the-nose thing a year or two ago and still remembers it and asks if she has to have that done every.single.time we go in for sick visits. I'd rather avoid the test if at all reasonable to do so.)

daisymommy
11-08-2009, 04:36 PM
In my opinion, it sounds like some other virus, rather than H1N1. Seems like it's hitting most people hard within 24 hrs., higher that that temp, all over body aches and pains including the joints, and a nasty wet cough. Not like what your DD has...thankfully!

Most doctors are no longer testing to see what type of flu it is, unless it gets really bad. So personally, I wouldn't bother. I would just give her lots of rest and fluids, and up the vitamin C (500 mg. every hour or so for a day).

Hope she's well soon!

MommyAllison
11-08-2009, 04:36 PM
It could be, but it sounds like a regular virus to me at this point. When DD had what I think was h1n1, she went from totally fine to totally sick during her nap. She has a cold right now, and it's been the typical progression of gradually moving through the sore throat, then runny nose, etc, rather than being hit hard and fast by the flu.

Does your DD have an underlying issues that would make flu especially dangerous? If not, I'd just keep her home and watch to see what happens. Unless you want Tamiflu, I don't think you need a flu test. Hope she feels better soon!

SnuggleBuggles
11-08-2009, 04:37 PM
It could be so many other illnesses. I would wait to see if any oher symptoms emerge. FWIW, my ds1 had a 100 fever starting around 5pm last Sunday, kept him home the next day because we didn't want to spread illness and nothing every came of it.

If you really suspect the flu, I'd call and see if they are treating it at your Dr.'s office. Last spring when I had the flu my Dr. talked me out of Tamiflu because he thought the side effects (stomach issues) weren't worth the relief offered. So, it'd be good to find that out b/c if they won't treat any differently than you could already you could spare her that miserable nasal swab.

I hope she feels better!

Beth

ett
11-08-2009, 04:48 PM
I agree with PP's that it sounds like some other illness as opposed to the flu. I would just keep her at home. You can still call the ped. tomorrow morning and ask them what they think.

kristenk
11-08-2009, 05:00 PM
I generally agree with all of you, but the fact that she got the H1N1 mist 10 days ago is what's throwing me. I was wondering if that could lessen the intensity of her symptoms *if* she does have H1N1?

Her temp went from 98.2 to 100.1 in 45 minutes. Definitely no coughing, though....

Aaarrggghhh. I just want to know what's wrong.