PDA

View Full Version : Moms of late PT'd girls...

ha98ed14
11-08-2009, 06:28 PM
When did it FINALLY happen? DD is nearly 2.5 and knows when she feels the urge because she tells me before, "gotta go poo poo," and after, "I go poo poo." Sometimes I offer her to sit on the potty, but she gets upset and says she doesn't want to. I am loathe to push it, but I am SO tired of wiping sh!t off her @$$! :barf:

KrisM
11-08-2009, 06:57 PM
I don't think 2.5 is late :).

DD PT'd finally at 34 months. She was interested on and off and in underwear for a month for a bit, but since March, she's been done with the occassional accident.

elektra
11-08-2009, 07:22 PM
DD was 2.5 in September and we don't seem to be near PT yet either. She tells me everytime she has to poop and goes to her "poop corner." I ask her all the time if she would rather go on the toilet and she says no in an almost horrified way. I am just continuing to wait. I think if she is still showing no interest after her 3rd birthday, I'll probably pick up the training pace and "encourage" her more.
After just spending $80 on diapers at Costco today, I am also getting sick of the diaper thing!

JBaxter
11-08-2009, 07:39 PM
Dont know if my opinion counts since I have only boys but all mine potty trained at or before your dds age. They were all doing the.. Im Peeing... I have to pee... I pooped ( pooping). I picked a day and told them the diapers were all going to be gone ( say 2 weeks from monday) Every day we X'd off saying diapers were gone.. in X days.

I did a week of bottomless potty training. I set the timer every hour to 1 1/2 hrs givng insentives for trying and bigger insentives for actually going. Took us about 3 days each time to get really "good" and a week to have what I considered day time sucuss.

One of mine did hold poop till nap time for a while ( few weeks) I did do pull up at naps & nights for ds2 & ds3 ( DS1 was the wonder child who slept dry every night from 18 months old and was out of diapers 100% by 25ish months)

My mom and SIL did the same for my niece and it worked out well I think she was a little younger ( like 20 months).

I still would tell mine throught the day it was a" potty try" for several months.

Melaine
11-08-2009, 08:07 PM
I thought it was NEVER going to happen. Really. Around 30-34 months I was so unbelievably discouraged and frustrated about it. Who knows how many BP posts I wrote about this topic. But they were really finally done about a month before they turned three. I'm so thankful.
Hang in there. They did it at their own pace, just as everyone here told me they would. It felt late because we had been working on it SO long, but really I don't think potty training a little before 3 is that bad.

cvanbrunt
11-08-2009, 09:43 PM
I don't think 2.5 is late, either. DD#1 was closer to 3 and DD#2 just turned two and she's just agreeing to sit on the potty fully clothed. I know it seems like it will never happen but it will. I'm afraid you'll be wiping her for a long time. The older is four and is where close to being trusted to wipe her bottom well after she poops. Sorry.

vludmilla
11-08-2009, 10:01 PM
I don't think 2.5 is late, either. DD#1 was closer to 3 and DD#2 just turned two and she's just agreeing to sit on the potty fully clothed. I know it seems like it will never happen but it will. I'm afraid you'll be wiping her for a long time. The older is four and is where close to being trusted to wipe her bottom well after she poops. Sorry.

I agree. DD PT'd around 34 months and it was sooo much easier because I let her decide when she was ready. We were done in about a week after she demonstrated a real interest in it. We are still wiping her after BM's though or I'm afraid she wouldn't clean herself well enough ;)

Wife_and_mommy
11-08-2009, 11:42 PM
I'm afraid you'll be wiping her for a long time.

A huge :yeahthat:. I just finished throwing out some underw*ar and wiping my 5.5 yo's bottom because she "forgot". :irked:

My DD wasn't able to say she had to go and actually follow through until 3.5. She spent 3 months going every 3 hrs. as directed.

2.5 is considered pretty average these days, IMO.

egoldber
11-09-2009, 08:14 AM
Well, I am basically afraid to potty train LOL! Sad, but true. I'd rather change diapers until they are 5 than deal with public accidents. Everybody has their thing, and this is mine. :p

But I also don't think that 2.5 is late. Sarah trained basically on her own just before her 3rd birthday. She said "Mommy, I want to use the potty" and really that was it. She had abot 3 accidents and we were done. Amy has not yet trained. They take them to the potty at school, but she is not going consistently and the preschool teachers there say that they don't feel she is quite ready, so I am not stressing it yet.

The thing is I am not willing (yet) to commit to the work that it takes on MY part to potty train. IMO, you have to do what Jeana said, commit to underwear and then soldier through. It's best to do it at a time when you have a week at home and no distractions and nowhere really to go. So stock up on groceries and hunker down.

And I do agree that you will be wiping them for a very long time...... I finally stopped wiping Sarah when she was 4 or 5. She does not always do a great job, but the flushable wipes help.

jench
11-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Hmmm, can I get a prize for being the latest - DD did not PT until just after she turned 4. [Long story but she has a lot of social anxiety issues and seems to need "control" which included a refusal to PT] We were extremely fortunate to be in a daycare that did not require kids to be PT. At around 3yo, we did lots of asking, bought the underwear, sticker charts, the whole 9 yards. We even tried a day of "underwear only" but it only resulted in lots of tears and mess (she would stand in the bathroom and go in her underwear but wouldn't sit on the toilet). So we decided to wait it out (again, only b/c daycare was accommodating, I know others are not so lucky). Then after her fourth b-day she said "I will use the potty when I am four and a half" and whaddaya know I looked at the calendar and told her that was coming up next weekend :wink2: Well, the pullup fairy came that night, we had 4.5 yr birthday cake, and there was never a pullup or an accident after that.

Kind of like egolber/Beth, I could tolerate the pullup use more than the public (or in-home) accidents/cleanup. And DD does great now with the flushable wipes. I think for a few months I used to "check" but after a while she was fine. Sorry this doesn't help your current situation, but hopefully it will click for your DD soon!

wendibird22
11-09-2009, 11:12 AM
The thing is I am not willing (yet) to commit to the work that it takes on MY part to potty train. IMO, you have to do what Jeana said, commit to underwear and then soldier through. It's best to do it at a time when you have a week at home and no distractions and nowhere really to go. So stock up on groceries and hunker down.

:yeahthat:

DD is 27mos. She'll sit on the potty and pee when we ask if she wants to, but she doesn't yet tell us when she's wet or when she's pooped. I tried a day of training back around 24mos and after she'd peeped 2x's in her underwear I was already worn out. And the thought of PTing while trying to run errands and negotiate public toilets is not my idea of a good time. I'm considering giving it a go Thanksgiving weekend if I can muster up the courage and the patience (which at 33wks preggo I'm already running short on!).

aa2mama
11-09-2009, 11:45 AM
DD is 2.5 and nowhere near potty training! She has a bit of a temper and she has actually thrown the Baby Bjorn potty across the bathroom on more than one occasion. No way am I going to try and potty train her now!

I thought DS (now almost 6) would never potty train either. Seriously, that boy had no interest in it whatsoever. Wet diapers didn't bother him in the least. I had this mental image of sending him care packages of diapers in college! But believe it or not, he did potty train at 3.5 yrs when I decided to do a week without pants/underwear/pull ups. It happened so much faster than I expected once I did that. He only had a couple of accidents that first day and after that he was good to go. I think if he had been younger, it would have been a slower process.

I don't know yet when I'll train DD, but if she doesn't show any interest by that age I'll probably try the same method.

MommyAllison
11-09-2009, 01:16 PM
DD just turned 4, and despite being mostly potty trained for well over a year, she still has accidents more days than not. We started pretty early, at 19 months, because she saw her slightly older friends doing it and wanted to be like them, and wouldn't wear diaper anymore. It has been a lonnnnng 2.5 years. She'll go for a month with no accidents, then suddenly start having them again. I think we were pretty well done until she had a UTI this past summer...since then, she totally regressed. :(

Tanya
11-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Haven't you heard "they'll do it when they are ready"? Hmmm, which is more annoying...hearing that over and over again or waiting for you kid to finally potty train?

My first one truly decided on her own. She was 2.5 and decided to pee in the potty on her own and I can count on one hand the number of accidents she's had since then. However, I tried to push her on pooping in the potty and it backfired (into a big old constipated mess for months). She was 3.5 before she decided to poop in the potty on her own and never had another accident after that.

My second daughter, everyone said she's train early since she started using the potty a couple times a day at about 17 months old. She was 34 months before we made anymore progress. She was right around 3 years old before I was comfortable putting her in panties and we have still had a lot of accidents. She poop trained before she pee trained which was so weird.

I really really tried to just wait the second one out, but it gets soooooo frustrating when you know they *can* do it. And it gets so annoying when your mom keeps asking, etc. I look back now and think how "easy" DD1 was because she did it on her own (if we don't count my pushing and causing poop issues) and how reliable she's been ever since then. I think that if they aren't truly ready and you push, they just seem to have more accidents even after you consider them potty trained.

And I didn't have to wipe DD1's butt when she was 3.5, but she always had firmer poop (heck, she only pooped once a week as a breastfed baby), but even though DD2 has been poop trained for a long long time, I'm still wiping her butt because she just has messier poop (she pooped multiple times a day as a bf baby). They are all so different...

brittone2
11-09-2009, 04:56 PM
2.5 is not late at all although I understand how annoying it is.

DS PT'd at 2. Dry at night on his own from 2 onward. But...(there's always a but! ;) ), he had chronic constipation/withholding issues and had "skiddies" or occasional poop accidents until he was at least 3.5. He was 100% with pee, but he would have "skiddies" in his underwear sometimes 4x a day which was totally annoying (including during the time I had a newborn). It wasn't in his control (the skiddies leaking out)...side effect of chronic withholding. There was no way we could make a big issue out of it as it would have made that whole pattern worse. You definitely do not want to go there w/ kids that withhold. Mine started withholding poop before we ever started the PTing, but for many kids PTing sometimes triggers them to start withholding and that is NOT a fun cycle to get into. So PTing was easy w/ him in some ways (he got really into the potty right at 2, then boycotted for a month or two, and then at 2 years 2 months it was just really easy for him), but hard in others.

DD will be 3 in December and has been on/off with pottying for a loooong time. LIke 9 months to a year? The hard part is she didn't really want to wear diapers, but she would sometimes just flat out refuse to use the potty (like before bed and naps). She just wasn't ready on her own...she didn't have that internal drive yet to be PT'd IMO. She's been dry at night from 2 on, but she wouldn't always pee before her nap or bed so I felt obligated to put a dipe on her even though she pretty much always woke up dry. But then in the morning she'd be cranky and wouldn't want the dipe off and would just opt to pee in the diaper in the morning vs. the potty.

I never bribed DS (I'm not really into bribing/behavior charts) but even tried that route with DD. She could care less to be honest. It didn't matter to her after a day or two...she was over it. I dropped it, but now in the last week or two she's finally reliably peeing before naps/bed, pooping on the potty regularly (not slinking off to poop in private in her undies), and seems to "get it" on her own and *wants* to be PTd. I don't consider it "late" but has been very different than my experience w/ DS.

eta: fwiw, I still have to help my 5.5 year old wipe sometimes, so you may have a good period of time of wiping ahead no matter what ;)

Gena
11-09-2009, 08:11 PM
I have a boy, but I also don't consider 2.5 to be late by any means.

You probably know this, but if your DD still has some sensory issues, those very often come into play when potty training.

AnnieW625
11-10-2009, 03:49 PM
A year ago I too thought 2/1/2 was late because DD showed zero interest in potty training. We happened to know quite a few 2 yr. old girls who were pt'd and I felt like the last mom a girl who wasn't pt'd. Committing to underwear only didn't work for us because DD didn't want to tell us when she was going to go potty. We first tried it in the house and it didn't work there so I knew it wouldn't work outside the house. We did try pull ups, but she treated those exactly like a diaper so we just switched back to diapers. DD was trained a month or so after her 3rd birthday. She has had some accidents since but now we are really good about reading her signals. At night we've been using pull ups because she still pees in them. We are getting her up though right before we go to bed now to put her on the potty and she's been 50/50 about going and then waking up in the AM with a dry pull up.

We are also trying Fuzzi Bunz One Size pocket cloth diapers (telling her they are pull ups) at night hoping that might signal her to wake up as I think the disposables make it easy to be lazy.

kijip
11-12-2009, 01:41 AM
I don't think 2.5 is late at all for boys or girls. Some kids do it earlier, some later and there is no magic bullet that works for all kids. I know a family that did diaper free time/stay home...and it didn't work after a month. They gave up and a couple months later the boy just decided to be done with diapers. So what works well for some does not always work for others.

My niece is almost 2 and 1/2 and honestly I can't see her being trained anytime soon, just her personality.

And you don't get to stop wiping butts for sometime after pt-ing. A lot of kids need help with wiping till they are 4 or 5. :p