PDA

View Full Version : Thermometer recs please...

fortato
11-08-2009, 08:41 PM
I need a new thermometer for Jack. We have a Vicks Rectal that was perfect when he was little, but now, he's not so receptive to letting me use it. And- now he's sick.

What thermometer do you use, and would you recommend it? I don't know whether to get a temporal or ear thermometer...

Help!!

vludmilla
11-08-2009, 09:27 PM
I have no experience with ear thermometers but we like our Exergen temporal one from Costco. It was about $20. Once I learned to use it correctly, it has been very accurate.

maestramommy
11-08-2009, 09:30 PM
We have a digital rectal, that the girls will still allow, but we do have that forehead scan thermo mentioned in pp. It's harder to get a good reading when they're little, but maybe now Jack is old enough to hold still. It does work pretty well. Sometimes Dh uses it on himself.

Tondi G
11-08-2009, 09:43 PM
I need a new thermometer myself... I was going to ask here too but forgot.

While I would like a temporal one I would also like to get a good digital oral/underarm option as well. Does anyone have a good simple digital that works well? Mine isn't reading well and takes forever.... just getting old I think but it was never really great to begin with.

sorry to hijack but thanks in advance to anyone who has a suggestion/recommendation!

~Tondi

fortato
11-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Tondi-- Don't worry about hijacking... I'm glad my post was a bit of a reminder...

Any help is good, right?

Clarity
11-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Don't buy the Vicks 8 second digital thermometer. I've had 3 now, the 3rd one stopped working less than 5 minutes from when I left the store. I went back in and exchanged it for the Walgreens brand and I'm happy with that so far - I've had it 4 days. LOL
I will say I do like the 8 second read for the babies because they just don't hold still for very long. For an underarm read, 30 seconds is an eternity.

scoop22
11-08-2009, 10:42 PM
we also have the Exergen temporal. my mom got it for us from sams club. it is fantastic. we had an ear therm. but it was so inacurate. the temporal one is pretty accurate. i like it b/c i can use it when they are sleeping. i get hooked on taking temps when the kids/dh are sick.

MommyAllison
11-09-2009, 12:39 AM
We have the Braun ear thermometer and are happy with it.

KathyN115
11-09-2009, 09:32 AM
We also have the Exergen temporal thermometer, but I am undecided on how accurate it is. But definitely don't get the Target brand ear thermometer - TERRIBLE!!!!!!

Nyfeara
11-09-2009, 09:35 AM
We also have the Exergen temporal thermometer from Costco. It's been pretty accurate for us. Our ped is using the same one.

Due to the number of ear infections & tubes that DS had, he wants nothing to do with anything near his ear, so we knew an ear thermometer was out of the question. We've been totally happy with the Exergen one, as PP have indicated.

KrisM
11-09-2009, 09:35 AM
We have a temporal one and really like it. It's easy to use and you can do it when they're sleeping. Much easier to get a good reading than the ear thermometer.

hillview
11-09-2009, 10:15 AM
I have no experience with ear thermometers but we like our Exergen temporal one from Costco. It was about $20. Once I learned to use it correctly, it has been very accurate.

:yeahthat:
/hillary

kristenk
11-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Let me admit right now that I NEVER would have purchased this thermometer if I hadn't had a coupon code.... :)

We have the Thermofocus 5-in-1 Non-contact thermometer and it's fabulous. Incredibly fast and gives very reliable results. We had an exergen before that and I had trouble getting reliable readings. DD also woke up when I exergen-ed her.

Here's where I heard about it: http://www.mommieswithstyle.com/less-trauma-for-mamma-thermometer-and-child-too/

Tondi G
11-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Let me admit right now that I NEVER would have purchased this thermometer if I hadn't had a coupon code.... :)

We have the Thermofocus 5-in-1 Non-contact thermometer and it's fabulous. Incredibly fast and gives very reliable results. We had an exergen before that and I had trouble getting reliable readings. DD also woke up when I exergen-ed her.

Here's where I heard about it: http://www.mommieswithstyle.com/less-trauma-for-mamma-thermometer-and-child-too/

Wow.... thats pretty cool! It sure is expensive though!

kristenk
11-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Wow.... thats pretty cool! It sure is expensive though!

I agree. I think that if I hadn't been fed up with my thermometer when I read the review, I wouldn't have purchased it! The good news is that I've stopped looking for new thermometers for our house. Considering my prior thermometer purchases, I figure that I'll come out ahead with the thermofocus in about 3 years. ;)