PDA

View Full Version : S/O car threads: What does your car color say about you?

ourbabygirl
11-08-2009, 10:32 PM
I used to think that bright red cars were for people going through a mid-life crisis :ROTFLMAO:, but now I understand why some people like them- I used to have a red Jetta and would love to have another bright red car before I die :). Right now I have a dark grey car, which I like, but I wouldn't mind switching it up for my next car.
Do you associate certain colors with certain genders, ages, types of people? Share your car color and if you think it says anything about you!

jgenie
11-08-2009, 10:36 PM
My car is RED - my favorite color! It makes me smile every time I see it. :) When we decided to have kids we bought a black SUV. We needed a car that would be able to handle the snow without a doubt - bought it used and just settled for the color. We drive the SUV 99.9% of the time, but occasionally when I go out without DS I will take my car. I forget how much fun it is to drive until I get in it. :)

WatchingThemGrow
11-08-2009, 10:39 PM
I don't have any associations except that I see white cars as rentals or governmental vehicles. I've had just about every color- no green yet, though.

Navy here - boring maybe, just not run-of=the-mill. I couldn't do a whilte, gray, silver, gold, black or rusty red Odyssey. Navy was the only one I liked. Maybe each car has its own color in my mind and I like each car in only one color. For example: the Mazda 3 my mom used to have - had to be red.

elizabethkott
11-08-2009, 10:47 PM
I had a white neon (formerly my dad's "commuter car") in college, then a red jetta (which I LOVED) in grad school, then a silver volvo xc70 when I was pg with J and for his first 2 years, and now a blue volvo xc90.
If I had to do a psycological analysis on my progression of car colors, I would say they correspond to my stages of life, LOL! Red=fun, young, silver station wagon=mom of an infant and dog, blue suv=mom of a (hopefully someday soon) expanding family and 2 dogs.

vonfirmath
11-08-2009, 10:51 PM
That I'll buy whatever is cheapest when its time to do so? So not really much of anything.

lmwbasye
11-08-2009, 10:55 PM
It says that I'll buy almost any color car if it's the car I'm looking for at the price I'm looking for. LOL!

Globetrotter
11-08-2009, 10:58 PM
My minivan is a boring dark grey. I thought I was being practical by hiding dust, but DUH, that would be SILVER!! Everyone in one of my playgroups, except for me and one other family, had a silver minivan so I thought I was being original, but now in my girl scouts group of four close friends, THREE of us have the same dark grey minivan :p

I so wish I had the dark red. It is beautiful and so "me"! (not because it's beautiful, but I do :love5: that color!)

maestramommy
11-08-2009, 10:59 PM
It says, "Doesn't show the dirt." :p It's a darkish gray. My first choice was a midnight blue. Unfortunately, the 4-cylinder stick in that color is SO hard to get :)

Dh's Pathfinder is a sandy beige. Also doesn't show the dirt, even after weekending in the Mojave dessert :jammin:

Bullybaby
11-08-2009, 11:08 PM
I got silver because it was the last color they had left, go figure. I thought the color would be great... but then I realized it shows EVERY speck of dirt and scratch(my car got keyed about a month after I got it)

MamaMolly
11-08-2009, 11:17 PM
Silver, because we live in a really really hot climate and it makes a difference.

MontrealMum
11-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Well, my car is red. But I bought it when I was 25 so I don't think I was going through a mid-life crisis ;) And it's a station wagon, not a sports car. What it does say is that the dealer had two cars available in the model I wanted: white and red. I do NOT like white or pale colored cars. My previous one was ivory. It was awful. Here in the north they just show everything. And with all the snow they're very stealth...and invisible, which is not a good thing.

Our other car is metallic gold. It's primarily DH's car. It says that DH's wife :p did not agreee to him buying the other choice, which was dung brown. I've never really gotten much choice over the colors of the cars I drive. I've never had a choice over the bikes I ride either. I have no idea what I'd do if I did have such a choice...

ETA: my dad bought his 1st Camry quite a few years ago now, but I well remember a study that said that the Camry in forest green (which is what he had - twice!) was the typical middle-aged male crisis car. My dad could have cared less, but my friend's dad who owned the same car, and who likes to thing he's young and hip --- was devastated! So, I'm not sure that red says "midlife crisis" - not just because I drive a red car, but because I was so surprised to hear that forest green indicated a midlife crisis. We should do some research :)

neeleymartin
11-08-2009, 11:36 PM
It says, "Doesn't show the dirt." :p It's a darkish gray. My first choice was a midnight blue. Unfortunately, the 4-cylinder stick in that color is SO hard to get :)

me too. i always have stuck with colors that don't require a lot of cleaning.

niccig
11-09-2009, 02:22 AM
My car is a dark red. Dh and I both like it, but DS LOVES it. Red is his favourite colour. When we were car shopping, he only wanted the red cars. When DS watches football with DH, he wants the team with the red colour to win, even when they play against DH's college team. It's all about the red for him.

I really like it, but scratches show up more easily than I think if I had a grey or silver colour, which is what my previous car was.

wellyes
11-09-2009, 07:45 AM
That I'll buy whatever is cheapest when its time to do so? So not really much of anything.

:yeahthat:
My first car was teal - ugh.
Second was white - even worse!
Current car is TAN - and I thought white was bad!!

Someday I'll get lucky in the used lot.

blisstwins
11-09-2009, 07:45 AM
Mine says we are too cheap to care about color. It is plain black and I don't like it, but it was the last '05 when we were shopping and it did not seem worth paying more when we were able to get a great deal.

BabyMine
11-09-2009, 10:04 AM
I have a black SUV and have always had black cars. There is something about the freshly waxed, gleaming black car that makes me always want a black car.

Melaine
11-09-2009, 10:07 AM

:yeahthat:

Well, actually the last new car we bought we got in a golden/beige color and it was for a reason. We have such bad pollen in the spring that we thought it would look less dirty, which wound up being quite true.

SkyrMommy
11-09-2009, 10:13 AM
First car... silver Honda
Second car... grey blue Honda
Current car... Tangerine Honda :)

I just loved the color and I certainly stick out like a sore thumb in parking lots!

SammyeGail
11-09-2009, 10:46 AM
I'll have an odd reply and say I think different colors look good on different cars. I personally like cars in certain colors. What I've had:

1990 Nissan Senta-Red
1992 Geo Storm-Teal, (was cute at the time) bought it FSBO, found out it had 3 different serial #s when the head blew off the engine, it was supposed to still be under warranty, had to get a lawyer and they bought it back, before title laws (they knew it was salvaged and I asked about damaged when I bought and they said none).
1993 Eclipse-a unique cranberry/wine color, I loved that little hatchback!
1990 loaded Nissan Maxima, black with tinted windows and spoiler, it was so cool looking. DH and I got married when I had that car. Wish I could have afforded to give it to them, but I sold it to my parents for the payoff.

DH & I:

1995 Nissan Maxima-mid model, gold, tan interior, barf, I hated that car, it was crap compared to my 90 Maxima.
DH-Sunbird-Red
1997 Explorer in a blue/green color-got rid of fugly Maxima-sold Exp in 2007
1999 Miata-midnight blue-it was an awesome deal, I would loved the emerald green they had that year. Or red, black, not white, just not a fan of midnight blue. Traded in the Sunbird.
2004 Accord, silver, always thought I wanted a silver car, didn't like the solid black interior, didn't like having a silver car.
2006 Explorer all black w/ black interior, its super-bad!!-had to upsize since twins came-Accord out.
2007 Mazda 3, Pewter, got the windows tinted, looks very nice. I like the color alot. Traded in the Miata.

I never want a white car, a maroon/burgundy, blue or dark blue. Red would depend on the car. I do not want a 'gold' car again, maybe a mixture of silver&gold you see in a Lexus, thats just me dreaming. I have always had gray or gray/black interior except for that one Maxima, I just can't stand any type of tanish-toupe interior.

Opposite on my house, lol, where we have vinyl siding it is toupe, which I like, and the interior is in tans and tan/gold. The builder put in the tan/gold, it grew on me :). I would have been happy with gray vinyl siding ;), but the house next door has it. Our first house was a 1960's that we put vinyl over the asbestos siding, I chose gray and put up black shutters. I would never paint my walls gray :tongue5:.

Sorry for such a long reply!

pb&j
11-09-2009, 10:51 AM
Mine says I am cheap and just wanted a good deal on a car! I have a silver wagon. My first car I bought used, it was white - I hated that! It always looked dirty. But, I will say that it was nice when I lived in FL, as it stayed a bit cooler. My next car was black - that also always looked dirty! And it was freakin' hot in the summer. Now I've got silver. Pretty boring, doesn't show dirt. I kind of think it's too bad there are more choices for car color.

codex57
11-09-2009, 03:26 PM
White. Cuz I'm super practical/functional. It's cuz I grew up in a hot climate and now live in a place that's hotter.

Sorry, silver and other light colors don't cut it. If it makes a difference, it's like the diff btw burning up from the fire of Hades (black color) vs a regular fire (light color). White is the only one that you can place your hand on it without cooking flesh. DW likes silver cuz it's "pretty" but after moving out here with the 115+ weather, she's now a convert to white.

StantonHyde
11-09-2009, 03:57 PM
That I told my husband to go bring home a car. Seriously. I gave him the specs on the minivan and I didn't really care about color. Just no navy--shows too much dirt. So I have silver pine or something--Toyota Sienna.