PDA

View Full Version : Is there a message board for parents of undiagnosed seriously ill children?

DeeEast
11-09-2009, 12:45 AM
I've googled and find message boards for parents of children who have been diagnosed with cancer. Frankly, I would like to read what they have to say but the rules say that they are only for parents of children with cancer and in addition to feeling like I would be jinxing things, I don't want to intrude.

But there has to be some on-line support group for people in our situation. If not, someone should create one. Its been almost two months and we are still in limbo. I couldn't wait until Monday and got DS's blood tested on Friday. The results are still the same (not good). I have done a lot more reading and have a slightly better understanding of the fact that they are waiting for the reticulocyte count to go up, which not only has it not gone up, it has actually gone down since two months ago when this all began.

So I am reading about pediatric myelodysplastic syndrome and waiting until the next blood test, either this Tuesday or Wednesday. I finally bit the bullet and went back to church today and did exactly what I feared I would do. I sat there and cried the entire time, feeling so vulnerable and so crazy. I can only equate the feeling of crying like that in public in this situation (we don't even know if its the worst possible case scenario) to being at a crowded basketball game and having to use a toilet that is in the middle of the basketball court. UGH. I just HATE it!

But the people in our church have been so supportive that I hate to not attend and then keep emailing and calling, asking for prayers, especially when we can attend, but I am just a basket case. Oh well, now everyone will now understand why I don't attend anymore?

blisstwins
11-09-2009, 01:17 AM
I could not read this without responding as I have been following your posts and praying for your son. Can you call Ronald McDonald House and see if they have any ideas? Maybe they can put you in touch with someone or an organization. You need support. I honestly cannot imagine how surreal this must feel and I hope your son's issue spontaneously resolves.

Globetrotter
11-09-2009, 03:43 AM
I can see your frustration, but I would suggest staying away from cancer support groups until you know for sure. It will only make you more anxious, I'm afraid. Your idea is a good one, to have something for people in limbo..

In the meantime, vent away all you want whenever you can :hug:

Melarina
11-09-2009, 04:45 AM
I am so sorry you and your family are going through this. Sending heartfelt prayers for you.

jse107
11-09-2009, 10:59 AM
I would humbly suggest that you start a CaringBridge.org page. It can be a great outlet for your fears, concerns, celebrations, etc. It will also keep everyone you love updated, without having to answer a million questions and phone calls. You can also use it to let people know if you need help or assistance--meals, transportation, babysitting, etc.

If you set it up, and then sent out an e-mail to all your friends and family (and us!), everyone would be able to check for daily updates. Plus, you might find some others who have been in a similar situation.

Have you checked WebMd forums? Sometimes they have some good support places for all sorts of situations.

Thinking of you,

carolinamama
11-09-2009, 11:55 AM
I just wanted to send more prayers and thoughts for you. Unfortunately I don't know of any message boards, but you may be able to get in touch with a social worker through your local children's hospital who knows of all the resources out there for all different types of situations.

Keeping your family in my prayers.

JenaW
11-09-2009, 07:14 PM
No concrete suggestions, just prayers.

I can not even begin to imagine how scary and frustrating all of this is. I am praying for peace and strength, and most of all some answers soon,

J

hillview
11-09-2009, 08:00 PM
First of all hugs!! When DS was dx with hydrocephalus and we thought it was a brain tumor, I joined a pedi brain tumor group. About 1.5 month later we found out it wasn't a brain tumor (lots of tests later). Honestly I'd do it again. It got me less scared and able to cope. I didn't regret it after we found out it wasn't a tumor.

I have no idea what is right for you but that was an experience I thought I'd share.

HUGS
/hillary

KpbS
11-09-2009, 09:21 PM
Not sure of your location but if you have a children's hospital relatively close by to you, I would contact someone in their family resource department. For instance Cincinnati Children's Hospital is an excellent, excellent facility here is what they offer
http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/svc/alpha/f/family-resource/default.htm
http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/visit/support/groups/default.htm

What about this one?
http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/all_page?item_id=470286
and more generally
http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/all_page?item_id=4591

:hug: :hug: :hug:
P+PT for you and your family--esp. DS.