PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite Children's Book?

DeeEast
11-09-2009, 02:18 AM
At the moment, beside's Laura Ingalls Wilder, we are all in love with Dr. Seuss's "What Was I Scared of?" We just got the glow in the dark version and it is pretty cool. We read it before bed and then turn off all of the lights to see the glow in the dark pictures before going the kids go to bed.

citymama
11-09-2009, 03:19 AM
Books that are favorites with all of us (the readers and one who is read to) are the Frances the Badger series and original Richard Scarry books from the 1960s (Busy Busy World, Tinker and Tanker, The Great Pie Mystery). Not quite in the same league in terms of popularity in our home, but eternal favorites nonetheless: Maurice Sendak's In the Night Kitchen and Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey.

new_mommy25
11-09-2009, 04:24 AM
At the moment the top contenders are the Elephant and Piggie series, and That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown. We also love the Simms Taback version of There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly.

klwa
11-09-2009, 07:35 AM
Right now, in our house, the all time favorite is Snuggle Puppy by Sandra Boynton. But it's not quite literature. :)

egoldber
11-09-2009, 07:46 AM
My current fav books.....

Little House series
Stuart Little
Charlotte's Web
Ella Enchanted

Hmmm. Must think more.....

MamaMolly
11-09-2009, 10:37 AM
My faves from childhood are The Clown of God by Tomie De Paola and THe Goat in the Rug (I don't remember who wrote it).

We were not the most religious family, and I found TCOG very moving. A child's picture book where the main character dies! Oh my! Loved that one so much that when Tomie De Paola had a book signing I took a personal day off from teaching and bought his new book and took my original 20 some odd year old copy of it to the signing. The bossy lady working the signing told us NO other books besides the new ones would be signed, so I just showed it to him and GUSHED like a dork about how it was my all-time favorite book when I was little. He took it from me and personalized it!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, it was like meeting a superstar. I wrote a report on him and his books in college, I have a huge collection...I had the lady in line behind me take our photo together, and PROUDLY displayed it on my desk at school. My students thought it was so cool! :)

And my crafty, nature girl side LOOOOOOOVED the Goat in the Rug. Especially when the goat was naughty and ate the roots for the dye. One of my favorite illustrations ever is when she is making the rug and she and the goat are sitting side by side leaning together.

Jen841
11-09-2009, 12:06 PM
My kids LOVE The Kissing Hand right now, and anything sports related. The Tonka series is 100% boys and they love them. They are getting into the A to Z Mysteries and love the Magic Treehouse Series.

Growing up I loved Amelia Bedelia, Alexander and the Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day, Bear and Hound and The Giving Tree (actually any Shel S. books.) I remember staying up late reading The Light in the Attic.

jellibeans
11-09-2009, 12:40 PM
I have so many favorites. Childrens Lit was definately my favorite class in college.
Odd Velvet by Mary Whitcomb is a book that I stumbled across a few years ago and I just love the message(ages 3-5).
The Paperbag Princess by Robert Munsch is a great book for girls(also ages 3-5).
And probably my most popular fav(right now) is Joseph Had a Little Overcoat by Simms Taback,
but Officer Buckle and Gloria(Peggy Rathman) is soooo cute!

Piglet
11-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Do you mean favourite as a kid, or as an adult that has to read the book over and over again ;)
As a kid, I don't recall my earliest favourites, but I loved all the Ramona book. I also like the Superfudge books and I remember loving Alexander and the Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day.

As an adult, I like anything short (or with short chapters), LOL. The kids have all liked Where the Wild Things Are and I like it too. We all love the Sandra Boynton books (particularly the compilations that come with a CD). DD and DS2 both loved Curious George though I don't like them very much. DS1 loved Dr. Suess, but I don't like the long tongue twister ones. Oh, and Robert Munsch! Love him both as a kid and as an adult!

Dcclerk
11-09-2009, 02:15 PM
I always love a bunch that are not mentioned by anyone else:

Now and Back When I Was Little:

LeSieg (Seuss)-- Come Over to My House
Hilary Knight-- Where's Wallace? http://www.bookfinder.com/dir/i/Wheres_Wallace/0689839928/ (so much better than Where's Waldo-- the reoccuring characters are amazing)
The Berenstain Bear's Vacation as well as Bear Scouts
Seuss--Marvin K Mooney Will You Please Go Now! (Odd text, but great contraptions)

Now (because weren't around back in the day):

Anything by Chris Van Dusen (Down by the Sea With Mr. MaGee & If I Built a Car)
Almost anything by David Shannon (especially A Bad Case of Stripes)
Tacky the Penguin

lizzywednesday
11-09-2009, 02:25 PM

We were not the most religious family, and I found (The Clown Of God) very moving. A child's picture book where the main character dies! Oh my! Loved that one so much that when Tomie De Paola had a book signing I took a personal day off from teaching and bought his new book and took my original 20 some odd year old copy of it to the signing. The bossy lady working the signing told us NO other books besides the new ones would be signed, so I just showed it to him and GUSHED like a dork about how it was my all-time favorite book when I was little. He took it from me and personalized it!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, it was like meeting a superstar. I wrote a report on him and his books in college, I have a huge collection...I had the lady in line behind me take our photo together, and PROUDLY displayed it on my desk at school. My students thought it was so cool! :)

The Clown of God is one of my favorites from my childhood as well. It was the first book my brother Gerald wanted to check out from our library over and over and over and over again and all four of us love the story. So sweet.

I bought my own (new) copy shortly after September 11th. It's on my bookshelf with The Legend of the Poinsettia and my battered copies of How Fletcher Was Hatched and How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

That reminds me ... I need to get my own copy of Horton Hatches the Egg (sounds like another item to add to the baby registry ... HA!)

Jo..
11-09-2009, 03:19 PM
I have two.

"Baby Danced the Polka". This was originally recomended on the BBB/Posted by ChunkyNicksChunkyMom. Love it, and read it daily.

"Open Me! I'm a Dog". There's no cuter book in the world.

Our third favorite is "Monster's Lunchbox".

catpagmo
11-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Hilary Knight-- Where's Wallace? http://www.bookfinder.com/dir/i/Wheres_Wallace/0689839928/ (so much better than Where's Waldo-- the reoccuring characters are amazing)

OMG, I love that book! I have mine from when I was little, and now it belongs to DD!
Even after all these years, I still have trouble finding him sometimes. So fun!

This is a great thread!

infomama
11-09-2009, 06:03 PM
One of my all time favorite books is 'My Mother Gave me the Moon' http://www.amazon.com/My-Mother-Gave-Me-Moon/dp/0740735195/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257804097&sr=1-1. It;s short but very sweet.

deborah_r
11-09-2009, 06:34 PM
At the moment the top contenders are the Elephant and Piggie series, and That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown. We also love the Simms Taback version of There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly.

Angie, we recently discovered the Elephant & Piggie books and love them too! DS1 has even found some on his own at the school library. We were all laughing the first time we read "There is a Bird on your Head"!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
11-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Helga's Dowry. (http://www.amazon.com/Helgas-Dowry-Troll-Love-Story/dp/0156400103/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top)