PDA

View Full Version : If Your DC Has Had The H1N1 Injection...

randomkid
11-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Have you been able to get the second dose? I was able to get mine yesterday at, of all places, the grocery store pharmacy. I work in a hospital and haven't been able to get it there, but went grocery shopping yesterday and they had it! I qualified because I am a healthcare provider. Anyway, this pharmacy never gives any kind of vaccine to anyone under 18yo. So, I am still in search of a vaccine for DD. The literature I read from yesterday said that any child up to age 9yo needs 2 injections about a month apart. I know the mist doesn't require that, but I can't find that either. If I can find a shot for her, is it better to get one, than none at all or is it a fruitless effort? I'm concerned that I won't be able to find the second dose considering how difficult it is just to find the first.

Thanks,

mama2g03
11-09-2009, 01:04 PM
It is my understanding that the mist requires two doses also. DD and DS both got the mist and DD was scheduled to get her second last week but the doctor's office called and said they did not get more mist. We have to call back to see when they get more and reschedule the second doses.

Momof3Labs
11-09-2009, 01:06 PM
The mist is also two doses. DS1 had the H1N1 injection since he had the seasonal flu mist less than 4 weeks before his school did their H1N1 vaccine clinic. I don't know that we'll be able to find a second dose, but it's not an issue for a few more weeks (he got his vaccine last Weds).

I haven't tried searching for the vaccine for us or DS2 yet - I should, but all the frenzy doesn't appeal to me at all. DH is a paramedic so REALLY needs it but needs to search for it as they won't be getting it at work (they aren't a high enough priority, I guess).

mecawa
11-09-2009, 01:53 PM
DD2 got the H1N1 injection, but only one dose, our practice had 10 shots and that was it. It went to children with underlying health issues. My ped said that getting the first one would provide some protection, just not for the whole season. She said it was better than nothing. I am hoping they will get more in so she can get her second dose and DD1 can get her 1st.

HIU8
11-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Yeah, the mist is 2 doses. We were able to get the mist for DD and DS (first dose). At Thanksgiving we will be starting the searching for dose #2--that is our 4 week mark. I hope they do clinics on that Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend. Our ped has none and has no idea if they are getting any at all.

slworld
11-09-2009, 01:59 PM
My ped said that getting the first one would provide some protection, just not for the whole season. She said it was better than nothing.

This is what I heard too.

set81616
11-09-2009, 02:18 PM
DS got the first shot at a health dept in a rural county next to ours. I probably would have been able to get him another one there in a couple of weeks but last week he got H1N1. It was weird because I was picking him up from school for his 4 year old visit and they asked if I would bring him back and by the time he had his temp taken at the doc's it was 102. He started tamiflu within 2-3 hours of his first symptoms and I believe that and the shot made it pretty mild. Just 24 hours of throwing up and high fever and then he was climbing the walls. I would go ahead and get 1 dose if that is all you can get. Try any health dept near you.
Shannon

randomkid
11-09-2009, 09:10 PM
DS got the first shot at a health dept in a rural county next to ours. I probably would have been able to get him another one there in a couple of weeks but last week he got H1N1. Shannon

I see you are in Orlando. So are we. Where did you go to get the shot? Also, how long after the shot was it that your DS got the flu? I noticed on another thread that someone's DS got the shot on Friday and was diagnosed with H1N1 today (Monday). I know it's a killed virus, but I'm getting a little gunshy here.

LMPC
11-09-2009, 09:41 PM
DD got her 1st dose last month and is scheduled to get her 2nd dose this week. She got both of them at her ped's office. I'm sending good vibes to all you mamas who are still trying to get them!!!