PDA

View Full Version : Any point straightening hair in a humid climate?

Globetrotter
11-09-2009, 01:56 PM
My hair is naturally wavy with some curl, and normally I flat iron it, but I will be going to a very humid climate. I'm wondering if there is any point in getting my hair blow dried professionally before I go. It doesn't look good curly 90% of the time. ugh!

elektra
11-09-2009, 02:04 PM
Based on the time my wavy/cury head has had in the South, Midwest, and Hawaii, all during the middle of summer, IMO, there is no point. I did used to get my hair chemically straightened though and I loved the result (but eventually wanted my curly waves back. :tongue5:). So if you really want straight, I would go for the chemical treatment and only use the blowdryer to touch up the roots as it grows out.

daisymommy
11-09-2009, 02:05 PM
From one wavy/curly girl to another, no :( You can have them put frizz fighting serums and stuff in it, but it will eventually do it's on thing. I live in VA where it is very humid in the Summer...does horrible things to my hair! I would recommend bringing along the best frizz fighters in your arsenol and letting your hair go curly.

hanaum02
11-09-2009, 02:06 PM
I agree. I live in the DC area, where it can get quite humid. I find that on humid days I'm MUCH better off wearing my hair curly then wearing it frizzy/fuzzy (which is what happens if I try to straighten it on a humid day). Needless to say, I tend to wear it curly in the summer and straight in the winter.

lizzywednesday
11-09-2009, 02:11 PM
I second the frizz-fighters but wouldn't bother with the flat iron. Try finding curl creams instead of straighteners ... I like the less expensive ones from Garnier Fructis and John Frieda best, but they often have a greasy feel to them on their way into the hair. (Eww.) If I were going to splurge, I'd get something from Bumble & Bumble or Tigi.

Globetrotter
11-09-2009, 02:45 PM
I go to an Aveda salon and they recommended Be curly and Phomollient mousse for hold. I tried it last night as a test run, and I don't like the way it looks. Of course, I don't think I look good with curly hair, so what do you do? :D

If I lived there, I would do the chemical straightening, but this is just for a vacation this month (it is the winter, though it's Florida so I guess it's still humid there).

edurnemk
11-09-2009, 02:45 PM
No, not worth it. I've always had wavy hair, but after DS was born it became more curly. While we lived in Chicago I had no problems, but then we moved to Houston in the middle of the summer, ugh! I just had no clue as to how to handle my hair. At first I ironed it but by noon it was just a mess. So I wore it in a pony tail or bun every day. I finally learned it was best to wear it curly using a good product for curls. I got one at my salon, can't remember the brand right now, but it makes my curls look really nice and groomed, instead of the fuzzy mess they were when I first got here.

arivecchi
11-09-2009, 03:10 PM
No. Every time I visit my family in the Caribbean I resign myself to walking around with crazy wavy hair. I hate it but DH loves it for some odd reason. Think of it as a vacay for your hair. :hysterical:

Globetrotter
11-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Flashback to Monica (Friends) :p

So much for my dreams of looking hot in the nightclubs on my kid-free vacation :hysterical:

k_null81
11-09-2009, 03:36 PM
I have curly/wavy hair as well! I do flat iron my hair in the summer sometimes and I think it depends on the flat iron as to how well if will stay smooth. I think if you have thick curly/wavy hair I wouldn't bother though. I have lots of hair but it's not thick so it's a little easier to keep smooth.

BabyMine
11-09-2009, 03:45 PM
I was watching the Doctors show and saw a product called Living Proof (http://livingproof.com/). I am thinking of trying it. Florida weather hates my hair.