PDA

View Full Version : New Dad Needs Some Help!

Bsstone737
11-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Sorry if this post has been repeated a hundred times but I'm a bit overwhelmed and looking for some stroller advice!

We're due at the end of March and currently live in the middle of the city so for the first few months will have a daily set of stairs to tackle just to get outside. But the advantage is we live in a walkers paradise! Though not to long after we plan to move to the suburbs where there will be obviously less out the door walking and much more driving and walking.

I've tried to do research on strollers and am completely overwhelmed as no surprise everything has good and bad reviews.

We're getting the Graco 32 Car Seat and originally planned to get the stroller frame to snap that into and also get a lightweight Maclaren for options. But I'm now wondering if the I'coo Targo is a better option as it's on sale today for $379?? $379 isn't too far off from the total of what the frame and Maclaren would be.

I'm concerned with how well it folds down for travel and daily car trips? And also with the first few months knowing that my wife will be home and taking it up and down stairs.

Any input or suggestions would be so greatly appreciated!! The Targo is only on sale for $379 on Shnoop.com for a few more hours, sorry this is so last minute!

Thanks

Jelly Bean
11-09-2009, 11:56 PM
I've never tested that stroller, but I can tell you that nothing is as light as a stroller frame in the beginning. I'm a huge fan of the Maclaren Easy Traveller - only 10 pounds. I can fold it down quickly and fling it in the back of my car one handed. It is a lifesaver in the beginning, especially for your wife as she recovers.

newnewsmama
11-10-2009, 09:58 AM
If you can find a local store that carries the stroller and test it out in person, that's the best way of getting the idea. If this is not feasible, go to youtube.com and type in the stroller's name, you will see some videos that demonstrate the folding, unfolding, features etc.

Targo is a good stroller but it is not the lightest thing to carry around. Also, if you have a compact car, its folded demension is not small. But if these will not be a problem, $379 is a very good price.

truly scrumptious
11-10-2009, 10:22 AM
I would recommend getting a lightweight stroller for the first few months, like the Baby Jogger City Mini, in which your infant can lay flat. (If you want you can even get the carseat attachment.) That way you can easily carry it up and down stairs.
When you move, and the baby is a little older, you can decide on which other stroller will best meet your needs (you may no longer need one that lays flat, so you can focus on other features that may be important to you) and buy it then. And the BJCM can become your "car" stroller since it is lightweight enough to take in and out of the car trunk.
Just saying because we bought a stroller before DS was born and found ourselves coveting a completely different one 4 months later (for completely different reasons!)

ETA - I am also a big fan of the stroller frame (we had a Snap and Go) - we lived in that thing for the first few months. But I'm guessing that if you will be doing more walking than driving, you'll want to avoid keeping the baby in the carseat more than necessary. That's why I thought the BJCM might work for you.

PeppyParents
11-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Hi,

I second the notion of starting with a Baby Jogger City Mini. It's going to be a great errand/travel stroller through age 3 or so, something you'd still use after you move. It's easy to fold and carry (i.e., stairs).

A stroller that MAY be out by the time your baby comes is the new Bumbleride Flite. It's got a compact fold, is 12 pounds, and will take an infant seat. If that were out now, I'd suggest you seriously consider it. Bumbleride is saying "Spring 2010" at this point for its release.

Once you move, you can look at your "leisure/outdoor" stroller choice like a BOB Revolution, Baby Jogger City Elite, Mountain Buggy Urban Jungle, etc. These will be awesome for your long walks or anything you want to do outdoors. But they're going to be 22 to 25 pounds with a bulkier fold, a little tougher to handle on flights of stairs with a baby in the other hand!

So, for around $250 on the first lighter weight stroller, and then around $350 to $400 on your big, wonderful-to-push stroller -- you'll really be set through preschool with a perfect combination of strollers.

Hope that's helpful!