PDA

View Full Version : anyone have keys replaced on a laptop?

DrSally
11-09-2009, 08:47 PM
DD pulled some keys off my laptop and I've been trying to figure out how I can get them replaced. I was lucky the first one she took off was the "window's key", which I never use, but then she took off the arrows, which I use all the time! I called several computer repair shops and no one does this. I guess I could contact Dell and see what they say.

Joolsplus2
11-09-2009, 08:50 PM
My toddler and his friend took almost.every.key off a laptop once. I got them mostly all put on, but it was under warranty, so I sent it to the company and got it back in a couple days with all new keys properly put back on :)

vonfirmath
11-09-2009, 08:52 PM
I had one key break on my machine that they had to replace (at Fry's) -- I believe it was about $60. but MUCH cheaper than a new laptop.

tylersmama
11-09-2009, 08:57 PM
DS has popped more than one key off of my laptop. A couple of times, I was able to carefully put it back on, but one was just completely broken. I called Dell, and they sent me a brand new keyboard, for free...I guess they considered it under warranty even though it was totally my (well, DS's) fault! It was a little scary taking the laptop apart to replace the keyboard, but it wasn't hard, and it was fantastic to have a working P again! :p

DrSally
11-09-2009, 08:57 PM
I guess I should keep searching for a place that can put them back on. At least it's not a letter, but I could sure use those arrows.

DrSally
11-09-2009, 08:58 PM
DS has popped more than one key off of my laptop. A couple of times, I was able to carefully put it back on, but one was just completely broken. I called Dell, and they sent me a brand new keyboard, for free...I guess they considered it under warranty even though it was totally my (well, DS's) fault! It was a little scary taking the laptop apart to replace the keyboard, but it wasn't hard, and it was fantastic to have a working P again! :p

Wow, that's great. I've tried to put them back on. This computer is several years old, so I'm sure it isn't under warranty.

citymama
11-09-2009, 09:03 PM
I had that happen and Dell sent me a replacement keyboard to replace on my laptop, with instructions for how to replace. It was almost 3 yrs old and still under warranty.

khm
11-09-2009, 09:58 PM
I've replaced many a keyboard for myself and my husband's employees. It's actually pretty easy. There's generally a trim strip you'll need to pop off, and a few screws. Unplug it, plug in the new one and you're good to go.

Google your model and I'm sure you'll find step by step instructions. I remember the Dell's had picture steps on their site.

I've purchased most of the keyboards from eBay for about $20 to $30 each.

Alternately, can you set up your touchpad corners to do the arrow functions? Worth a look. The right side of mine is the "page slider", but I thought I remember you can change that to other options.

SpaceGal
11-09-2009, 10:01 PM
DH had a replacement sent to him from work. Some kid slammed a really heavy toy on his keyboard and it busted some keys in half. Dell sent a new keyboard with instructions too. It was easy to replace and he saved the busted up one for later in case he should lose other letters.

DrSally
11-09-2009, 10:09 PM
I've replaced many a keyboard for myself and my husband's employees. It's actually pretty easy. There's generally a trim strip you'll need to pop off, and a few screws. Unplug it, plug in the new one and you're good to go.

Google your model and I'm sure you'll find step by step instructions. I remember the Dell's had picture steps on their site.

I've purchased most of the keyboards from eBay for about $20 to $30 each.

Alternately, can you set up your touchpad corners to do the arrow functions? Worth a look. The right side of mine is the "page slider", but I thought I remember you can change that to other options.

Well, after about 15 min on hold with DEll, I gave up. I should try to find a keyboard on Ebay!
I'll have to check to see if my touchpad can do the arrow functions. Thanks for the tips!

DrSally
11-09-2009, 10:15 PM
he saved the busted up one for later in case he should lose other letters.

Good tip!.......

EllasMum
11-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Sounds like PPs have given you some great suggestions. Or, if you like, you can use my fabulous repair technique - scotch tape. I currently have 'N' and the left side 'shift' keys taped on. It's really classy. :p

WatchingThemGrow
11-09-2009, 10:56 PM
What's funny is that people w/o kids look at your keyboard w/missing keys and think how irresponsible you are, lol. I'm so glad YOU guys all understand the missing key thing!

american_mama
11-10-2009, 11:08 PM
I've replaced two or three keyboards through Dell, but they've always done it for me. We have an extended warranty - although I think one of those replacements was after the warranty period - so you call Dell customer service and they refer your case to some roving tech guy who sets up an appointment with you, comes to your house, and does the repair. It's always been no charge.

DrSally
11-10-2009, 11:14 PM
What's funny is that people w/o kids look at your keyboard w/missing keys and think how irresponsible you are, lol. I'm so glad YOU guys all understand the missing key thing!

:ROTFLMAO: I never thought of that since I'm never outside of the house using my laptop. Something only another mom would understand :wink2:

DrSally
11-10-2009, 11:15 PM
I've replaced two or three keyboards through Dell, but they've always done it for me. We have an extended warranty - although I think one of those replacements was after the warranty period - so you call Dell customer service and they refer your case to some roving tech guy who sets up an appointment with you, comes to your house, and does the repair. It's always been no charge.

Mine is definitely out of warranty and I could not stay on the phone any longer waiting to talk to someone. Maybe I'll try again when I have more patience.