PDA

View Full Version : Those of you that wear poppies...

MontrealMum
11-09-2009, 08:49 PM
...how do you keep your toddler from ripping it off and stabbing you with the pin? Or themselves? (although, so far, I'm the only one that's been stabbed)

Neatfreak
11-09-2009, 08:53 PM
When DD1 was a toddler, I either left it at home (and then felt very self-conscious about NOT wearing one) or stuck it into the canvas bag I was using as a diaper bag.

vludmilla
11-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Sorry for the OT...but what are poppies? Are they like brooches?

moosemama
11-09-2009, 09:27 PM
I take the pin out and sew one stitch through the poppy to attach it to my coat. I do the same thing to attach one to DS's coat. Of course, then you get funny looks from people who think you are sticking a pin in your toddler's coat, but once you've explained what you have done, they generally tell you how brilliant you are instead!

I've also seen people use Canada flag pins through the centre of the poppy (the small ones that have the round backing).

moosemama
11-09-2009, 09:32 PM
Sorry for the OT...but what are poppies? Are they like brooches?

We wear them out of respect for Remembrance Day. Here's some info.

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/general/sub.cfm?source=teach_resources/poppy

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/the-man-behind-canadas-poppy-pins/article1355809/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day#Canada

EllasMum
11-09-2009, 09:42 PM
I love the idea of putting a stitch through the poppy - great suggestion! DD likes to wear her poppy on her jacket when we're outside, then on her shirt when we're inside. I might have to get her one poppy for every shirt. ;)

vludmilla
11-09-2009, 09:46 PM
oh, I feel so silly. thanks for schooling me. ;)

bubbaray
11-09-2009, 09:55 PM
I haven't done this (b/c I keep mine at work), but I know people who put a "tie tack" Canada flag through the center instead of a pin.

MontrealMum
11-09-2009, 10:11 PM
Thanks so much for the idea of putting a stitch in! I didn't wear one last year because DS got the flag pin out of my poppy! I have a very determined child. And I felt so odd not wearing one that I tried the straight pin since he's older, but it was a very bad idea. Off to tack a little stitch in my main coat :)

Piglet
11-09-2009, 10:27 PM
My toddlers each want one of their own! My best friend "invented" a poppy security system - take an eraser off the back of a pencil and jab it onto the end of the pin!

NewfieNat
11-09-2009, 10:38 PM
DS has to wear a white shirt and poppy to school tomorrow. It has been quite the task convincing him that it won't hurt him. I am totally going to try the pencil eraser trick!

When I was younger I used to put an earing back on the pin to keep it from falling off. Now I don't wear that type of earing anymore. Thanks for all the tips.

chinook
11-10-2009, 12:11 PM
I love the idea of putting a stitch through the poppy and the coat. Thanks for that!

mom2binsd
12-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Late to the thread, but I always feel like I should have one for Veterans Day down here in the US....I don't know why the Americans have never caught onto the idea.