PDA

View Full Version : can anyone tell me about anal strep?

elaineandmichaelsmommy
11-09-2009, 09:42 PM
ped's pretty sure that's what we're dealing with and prescribed amox. for ds. He'll get his first dose tonight since it's every 12 hours. The only complication is that now he's wet his pants 3 times and is complaining that his penis hurts and I think he might be running a fever and dh is trying to find the thermometer.

can anal strep lead to or contribute to a uti in boys? if not then what do I do for his uti. Cranberry juice like for a daughter?

any btdt knowledge would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

jen

kijip
11-09-2009, 11:52 PM
No BTDT just a bump in case others have advice but have not seen this and lots of :hug::hug::hug: I hope he feels better really soon.

Tondi G
11-10-2009, 12:51 AM
yikes. Poor little guy. Sorry he is going through all that. Now anal strep would be like group B strep? I've had a uti that only showed group B strep bacteria (pretty rare but not unheard of) and was treated with augmentin for it. If the amoxicillan doesn't improve his issues in 24 hours I might be inclined to call back and see if Augmentin might be another med to try. Are you giving him probiotics? If not I would get some asap and start right away and continue for a couple of weeks after he is done with the antibiotics.

Yeah cranberry is good for any UTI (girls or boys). Lots of water is a good thing too to flush. You can give him tylenol/motrin for discomfort too.

KpbS
11-10-2009, 12:58 AM
You would need to check w/ your ped first but cranberry is available in a capsule form (otc) which is more effective than the juice b/c it is concentrated and doesn't have all of the sugar the juice has. Make sure he is drinking plenty of water and some Vit C can help too.

:hug: Hope he gets to feeling better soon.

jerigirl
11-10-2009, 01:17 AM
Now anal strep would be like group B strep?
After googling, I think it is actually group A strep.

I second the suggestion for some probiotics. Poor guy! I hope he gets some relief soon.