PDA

View Full Version : can someone walk me through getting a childs passport?

jess_g
11-09-2009, 10:43 PM
My daughter needs a passport for an upcomming class trip to Canada. She is a US citizen. Can someone walk me through what I need to do to get her passport and how long the process takes. The trip is in about 6 months and everyone is telling me to get started on her passport now. This will be her first passport. I realy should get one for myslef and one for all the kids too in case we every need them, but I want to start first on hers.

Thanks,

Jessica.

niccig
11-09-2009, 10:47 PM
You get an application form from the post office. Fill it out. Go have passport photos done - our post office will do them too. Then we had to make an appointment at the post office to submit the application and pay the fee. We had to bring DS's birth certificate with us, and I think maybe our marriage certificate....the form tells you what supporting documentation you need. BOTH parents had to be there. I had our appt. on a Sat. morning so DH didn't have to be late for work. They do send the supporting documentation away with the application, you get it back with the passport, but make sure you dont' need her birth certificate for something else while it's gone. I did my USA citizenship and had the passport appt. but I needed the citizen certificate when I went to Social Security the following day, so I had to put the passport application on hold and go back to the post office after I was finished with SS.

It didn't take 6 months...I thinking maybe 6 weeks at most. But I would still do it NOW, as there can be delays.

If you want to make it easier, you could do the entire family at the same time, but you'll need a longer appointment as they go through each application to make sure no mistakes, and the fees do add up. Maybe spreading it out is a better idea.

stefani
11-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Check this out:
http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/minors/minors_834.html

It is easier generally to have both parents appear with the child, but if the other parent cannot appear, you can have a notarized statement of consent.

GL!

KrisM
11-09-2009, 11:03 PM
Are you flying? If not, a child does not need a passport to drive into Canada. My oldest 2 have them but DS2 does not. Under age 16 can get in with a birth certificate.

If you prefer to get a passport, I would consider getting the passport card instead of the book. It's much cheaper and if you don't plan on going overseas, you are good. http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/fees/fees_837.html

From this page: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Effective June 1, 2009, all U.S. citizens are now required to present a passport book, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document (http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders/#0) when entering the United States.
Please Note: Children under age 16 will be able to continue crossing land and sea borders using only a U.S. birth certificate (or other form of U.S. citizenship such as a naturalization certificate.). The original birth certificate or a copy may be used. See the Department of Homeland Security's Ready, Set.. Go! (http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/ready_set_go/) for more information on the changing travel requirements.

Tondi G
11-10-2009, 01:03 AM
I got my boys passport this summer. We took a cruise to Mexico and we wanted to be safe. Could have used birth certificates but if anything happened and we ended up having to fly home it could have made things very difficult. We didn't want to chance it!

Go to the post office tell them you need to get a new passport (not a renew). Fill it out, get your passport photos (we did ours at the AAA office). Both you and DH need to go to the post office to get it all squared away. Make sure you bring your checkbook cause you will need to write a check to the government and then also pay the post office for the service.

Go soon. It takes 4 to 6 weeks to get it all processed. Better to just have it done so you don't end up rushing (like we did... it was stressful).

If you think you might travel more extensively in the next 5 years get a passport book instead of the card. It's not that much more expensive.

connor_mommy
11-10-2009, 01:07 AM
You can fill out the apps online and print them off. Just don't sign them! You'll need to sign them in front of the person going over your paperwork. You and your spouse will both need to be present to get your daughter's passport. I think some post offices have passport offices. You'll just need to find the one near you. Also, check to see how to pay the fees. If I remember correctly, they don't take credit card.

MontrealMum
11-10-2009, 01:17 AM
Are you flying? If not, a child does not need a passport to drive into Canada. My oldest 2 have them but DS2 does not. Under age 16 can get in with a birth certificate.

Just to clarify/underscore what Kris said, things are changing rapidly regarding the border, so check your state's or the federal gov't imimigration page to be sure. But just because a child that age *might or might not* (and again, I'm not really sure of this) need a passport to enter Canada (IME it's not required, but certainly makes things go more smoothly, they do need something (more than a birth cert.) to re-enter the US. Some states do ID cards, some don't. Also, just so you know, according to the GoC site, children under 15 require certified birth certificates to enter Canada; of course, if that's not enough to re-enter the US, it's kind of moot. I'd go for the travel doc/passport just to be sure, but we cross the border quite a lot and are a mixed US-Can family.

kransden
11-10-2009, 01:23 AM
Like everyone says, both parents are needed. Unless you think your child is going somewhere else besides Canada or Mexico in the next 5 years I would do the card. We always get our photos at Wal-Greens or Kinkos.

Not all post offices do passports, so check! It took dd about 5 weeks to get hers last May.

MMMommy
11-10-2009, 01:29 AM
You can fill out the apps online and print them off. Just don't sign them! You'll need to sign them in front of the person going over your paperwork. You and your spouse will both need to be present to get your daughter's passport. I think some post offices have passport offices. You'll just need to find the one near you. Also, check to see how to pay the fees. If I remember correctly, they don't take credit card.

Yes! Just fill the forms out online and then print. You sign them at the Post Office for processing. The passport line at the post office can be pretty gruesome, and it does take them a long time to process each application while you are there. So having it filled out beforehand will definitely save you time. Have you checkbook ready, b/c they do not take credit card for certain passport fees.

mytwosons
11-10-2009, 07:32 AM
Just to clarify/underscore what Kris said, things are changing rapidly regarding the border, so check your state's or the federal gov't imimigration page to be sure. But just because a child that age *might or might not* (and again, I'm not really sure of this) need a passport to enter Canada (IME it's not required, but certainly makes things go more smoothly, they do need something (more than a birth cert.) to re-enter the US. Some states do ID cards, some don't. Also, just so you know, according to the GoC site, children under 15 require certified birth certificates to enter Canada; of course, if that's not enough to re-enter the US, it's kind of moot. I'd go for the travel doc/passport just to be sure, but we cross the border quite a lot and are a mixed US-Can family.

We just crossed the border this weekend and were fine with just a birth certificate for my son. No delays at all.

KrisM
11-10-2009, 07:58 AM

DS2 didn't need anything but a birth certificate in July. We went through Canada. I didn't need anything else for him then. The link above doesn't indicate anything else is required. I did have an original BC.

TwinFoxes
11-10-2009, 08:03 AM
I haven't gotten passports for my little ones yet, but in my experience getting a passport for myself was a piece of cake. I think people fear it's going to be a big production, but it's actually pretty simple. I got my first one at the passport office in San Francisco, and I had to wait to see an agent, but not a crazy amount of time. The second one I got at the post office in DC, and I think I may have had an appointment because I don't remember waiting at all. Both times I received my passport in under a month (but don't wait!)

Also, I'd just go ahead and get her a passport rather than a card. Since she's old enough to go on a class trip to Canada, I'm assuming that by the time the passport expires she'll be in her 20s or close to it. She may need one for a study abroad program, or backpacking around Europe, or who knows what. This way she wouldn't have to bother with getting one. :)

Tinkerbell313
11-10-2009, 08:37 AM
In addition to Post Offices, the local courts as well as county offices (if you live in a state in which is separated by counties) will process applications. I live in VA and just walked in to my county office as our local post offices do not in the area I live.

Again, not all post offices and not all county offices process, but most do. You can check on line to where to get a passport.

Costco will take the passport pictures...I had mine taken at Costco and it was $4.00 for the pictures.

jess_g
11-10-2009, 08:40 AM
Thanks everyone. There is a big post office near me with a passport office so I will start there. Its good to know ahead of time that my dh will need to come with me to hand in the paperwork. We can find a date he is not working and hand everything in then.

Do I realy need a marriage certificate as a pp mentioned? I don't know if I have a copy of that since we were married soooooooooo long ago!

thanks,

Jessica.

TwinFoxes
11-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Do I realy need a marriage certificate as a pp mentioned? I don't know if I have a copy of that since we were married soooooooooo long ago!

thanks,
Jessica.

No, only if your ID papers have your maiden name (which sounds doubtful). This link explains everything you need. Hope it helps. :)

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/minors/minors_834.html

KrisM
11-10-2009, 09:04 AM
Thanks everyone. There is a big post office near me with a passport office so I will start there. Its good to know ahead of time that my dh will need to come with me to hand in the paperwork. We can find a date he is not working and hand everything in then.

thanks,

Jessica.

I'm pretty fuzzy on ours, but I think I only needed a marriage cert. because my old passport had my madian name and the name change in it and I had to bring it for me. I do not see where you have to bring it for kids.

MontrealMum
11-10-2009, 09:06 AM
DS2 didn't need anything but a birth certificate in July. We went through Canada. I didn't need anything else for him then. The link above doesn't indicate anything else is required. I did have an original BC.

The most recent changes were to come into effect this past summer, but I believe there was a grace period. Here are a few articles: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/05/30/bc-new-border-rules.html
http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2009/05/29/us-canada-border987.html

They were being lenient about the rules this summer, and the rules are slightly different for children. I have no idea when everything takes/took effect, since we always travel with passports, but I think it's a good idea to be aware. The government site I found last night said the child's birth certificate had to be certified to re-enter the US. Unfortunately, I can't find it now. I figure that's worth mentioning as not all bc are - although the ones you can order online are, and it's good to be prepared. Photocopying the original on your own isn't the same as purchasing a certified copy from the State's website. Maybe they're being lenient about that too, I don't know.

tnrnchick74
11-10-2009, 09:53 AM
I got DS's passport a few months ago. It was the procedure outlines by PPs...however the only wrinkle in my process was the fact that DS's "father" isn't in the picture or on the birth certificate.

The passport people gave me a hard time about both of us not being there, not having a notarized letter. I told them it was impossible because the father is not in the picture, and I have no way to contact him. We got a supervisor involved and he said that since there was no father on the birth certificate, then in essence there is NO father and he was not required to be present.

Got my passport in 8 weeks. All is well. IF we ever go out of the country, will also take along birth certificate showing no father listed.

Snow mom
11-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Also, I'd just go ahead and get her a passport rather than a card. Since she's old enough to go on a class trip to Canada, I'm assuming that by the time the passport expires she'll be in her 20s or close to it. She may need one for a study abroad program, or backpacking around Europe, or who knows what. This way she wouldn't have to bother with getting one. :)

IiRC passports issued before age 18 are only good for five years. After 18 they are good for ten years.