PDA

View Full Version : Are Denice and Denise

kijip
11-10-2009, 12:16 AM
usually pronounced the same way? I have recently encountered each spelling and am unsure listening to the way each says their name. TIA.

TonFirst
11-10-2009, 12:31 AM
I would think so - I pronounce them the same way in my head, at least. Are you thinking the former might be Deh-NICE and the latter the more common Deh-NEECE?

MontrealMum
11-10-2009, 12:59 AM
In the US - at least in the Midwest - they seem to be pronounced the same way. Here in Canada, especially Quebec, Denyse (which is not on your list) is the French spelling. It's pronounced /de-nize/ The "s" is hard, not like "niece" at all. I could see Denise being pronounced the same way up here. The male equivalent is Denys, where the "s" is silent.

kijip
11-10-2009, 03:39 AM
I have a tin ear. I read the Denice as closer to "Den-ice" than the common pronunciation of "Deneece". But I can't figure out if I am hearing a difference when they say them or not. I had actually never ever seen a Denice until this last week. Thanks for the insight. I am going to listen very carefully the next time I talk to Denice. :)

wendmatt
11-10-2009, 08:36 AM
I would pronounce Denice. D nese and Denise D neeze, but I'm English and everything sounds different when I say it anyways!