PDA

View Full Version : s/o: so where did you/your family go to college?

AnnieW625
11-10-2009, 01:05 PM
Just curious!

I graduated from San Diego State (BA Com., Telecommunications). My brother graduated from UC Davis (BA Sociology), and my sister graduated from Cal State Long Beach (BA, English-Creative Writing). My dad graduated from St. Mary's College of CA (BS Business), and my mom attended Cal State Hayward. Maternal grandparents got all degrees from Cal Berkeley. Both of my paternal grandparents went to USC, as did my uncle, a great aunt, and great grandma. One great grandpa went to Cal Tech. In general as family we don't care for Stanford or UCLA football.

arivecchi
11-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Info deleted.

TwinFoxes
11-10-2009, 01:51 PM
I went to UC Berkeley. Go Bears!

lchang25000
11-10-2009, 01:52 PM
Went to the University of Texas at Austin (GO LONGHORNS!! :D) then got my nursing degree at the University of Texas at Arlington. My brother and sister both went to UTAustin also. DH went to UC San Diego for his undergraduate degree then UC Davis for his medical school degree. I think his brother went to UCSF for his medical school degree. Can't remember where he went for undergrad.

MoJo
11-10-2009, 01:59 PM
I earned my B.A. in English from Ball State University in Indiana.

My sister earned her B.S. in Computer Science from Arizona State University and her MBA from Phoenix.

My DH earned his B.A. in Theater from Southern Illinois University and his M. Ed. from Antioch University-McGregor.

If I had to do it over again, I would study to become a Speech-Language Pathologist. But I didn't know of that field until several years after I graduated.

infocrazy
11-10-2009, 02:00 PM
I am a Boilermaker through and through! (BSIE from Purdue University) HUGE football fan and ecstatic over our win in the Big House...particularly since it allows me to trash talk all the fans here in MI. Now we just need to beat State! ;-)

JMS
11-10-2009, 02:00 PM
Me - Boston College, Villanova Law
Sister - Georgetown, and some post grad stuff at Oxford (England)
Mom- Catholic U
Dad - Purdue

billysmommy
11-10-2009, 02:02 PM
I went to Springfield College in MA for PT, DH went to Springfield for undergrad and then to New York Chiropractic College (NYCC) for chiro school, one of my brothers went to Quinnipiac in CT for PT and my other brother went to UMASS-Dartmouth.
My mom went to Kansas U and my dad went to Fairfield U and then Tufts for med school.

larig
11-10-2009, 02:03 PM
dad-U of IL (BS + MEd)
mom-eastern Illinois BS + U of IL MA
me-U of IL (BA + MEd) + UWashington PhD (almost done--defense set for 12/16!!!)
DH-UTenn (BA)

schums
11-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Me - University of Michigan, BA and MBA
DH - Penn State (BSEE) and Ohio State (MSEE)
Dad - Northwood University (BA Business)
Mom - St. Mary's Nursing School
Brother - Michigan State University

We're a Big Ten family, even more so if you include cousins. Between the extended families, we've got all but 2 of the Big Ten schools covered!

Joolsplus2
11-10-2009, 02:12 PM
Dad...Davidson (in North Carolina), Mom, University of Hawaii, me Sam Houston State University, in Huntsville, Texas (wasn't a hard enough working student to get into UT like I really wanted, but SHSU was a small, comfortable campus for me, so it was all good :))

ilfaith
11-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Me - BS Syracuse University
DH - BS Columbia University, MBA from Baylor (executive program)

Mom - BA Temple University, MLS Rutgers
Dad - BS Long Island University
Brother - attended College of Charleston, graduated William Patterson

MiL & FiL - City College, NY
DH's sis - MIT, JD Boston University Law
DH' bro - SUNY Albany, JD either American or George Washington...I know it was in DC and not G'Town

codex57
11-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Me - UC Irvine, BA. UC Davis, JD
DW - UC Berkeley, BS. Univ of Pacific, Pharm.D.
Sis - UC Irvine, BA (shoulda gone to Berkeley like I wanted her to and not UCI Honors like my mom wanted). USC, DPT in May

My parents, my relatives that went to college in the US, and nearly all their friends all got undergrad and grad degrees from Univ of Houston.

elektra
11-10-2009, 02:47 PM
Me- BA Sociology UCLA (Annie, I guess we can no longer be friends. ;) Go Bruins!)
Brother- BA Communications UCLA
Mom- BA (BS maybe?) from Cal St. LA, Masters in Nursing from UCLA
Dad- BA Advertising Cal. St. Fullerton
Grandmother- BA Occidental College
Grandmother- BA University of Oregon

DH and all 5 of his siblings, as well as his mom and dad have BA degrees from California State schools, with one exception, his sister whose degree is from UCI.

mommylamb
11-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Me- BA double major in Sociology and Psychology from Brandeis, MS in Public Policy from the London School of Economics

DH- BA in Political Science from the University of Sulford (near Manchester, England), MS in the History of International Relations from the London School of Economics.

My parents and my sister all went to University of Connecticut (Sister's degree is in accounting, father's degree is in history and mother's degree is in teaching) all just have BA/Ss.

None of my grandparents went to college.

karenj2
11-10-2009, 02:54 PM
My older sister went to Temple, my younger sister went to Towson. I went to James Madison (in VA), and DH started at Villanova, but transferred to Notre Dame.

elliput
11-10-2009, 03:00 PM
I attended the University of Montana (UM). My sister has degrees from both UM and Montana State(MSU). Mom's degree is from MSU and Dad's MBA is from UM.

ETA- DH is a graduate of the Air Force Academy.

AnnieW625
11-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Me- BA Sociology UCLA (Annie, I guess we can no longer be friends. ;) Go Bruins!)

You know it's funny I was actually pretty dead set on transferring to UCLA from Sac State to go to TV school, but since I was transferring mid semester (darn entry level math classes made me a semester off) and tv school only accepted applicants in the fall I would've had to apply as undeclared or something else and then reapply to tv school in the fall. I figured it would be too much of a hassle. But the whole time I wondered what I was going to do for the fall during football season, I've been a Trojan fan for as long as I can remember! Basketball or any other sport would've been no problem and I had a silly crush on head bball coach Steve Lavin too during those days.

jenmcadams
11-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Me - BA Biology & Math Claremont McKenna College; MBA Northwestern (Kellogg)
Dad - BS Fisheries Biology Cal State Humboldt; MA Management Michigan State
Mom - Linfield & Cal State Humboldt; didn't finish
Sis1 - BA Government University of Redlands, MA Ed Admin Metro State (Denver)
Sis2 - UC Davis, didn't finish
GP (Dad's Side) - BA, MA San Jose State (some sort of Education) -- ended up a Principal
GM (Dad's Side) - BA, MA San Jose State (some sort of Education) -- retired an Elementary Teacher

DH - BS Physics Harvey Mudd College, MS Physics UIUC, PhD Physics Caltech
Dad - BA Literature Luther College
Mom - BA English Luther College, MA Linguistics UofMinnesota
Sis - BA Education (minor in math) Iowa Wesleyan, MA Ed Admin UTEP
GM (Mom's Side) - BSN; was an RN

lizzywednesday
11-10-2009, 03:11 PM
This is fun!

Me: BA, English, Rutgers College - Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey (New Brunswick/Piscataway, NJ regional campus; there are two others with different offerings & experiences)

DH: BA, Communications, Monmouth University (Long Branch, NJ)

My parents both went to Fairleigh Dickinson University - Teaneck/Hackensack Campus. Mom has a BS in Pre-Med as well as a BSN from FDU; Dad has a BS in Finance and an MBA from FDU.

MIL has a BA in Home Economics from Douglass College - Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey and an MA also from Rutgers.
FIL has a BS in Food Sciences from Cook College - Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. He's also earned his MS and PhD from RU.

BIL has a BS from Cook as well, plus an MBA from Maryland (I think)
SIL has a BA from Douglass as well, plus M.Ed. from Rowan University.

My brother Ger has an AA in Finance from the County College of Morris. IDK where his fiancee went to school, but she holds at least a BA!

My other 2 sibs have no interest in higher education at the moment, which is a darn shame! (My sister has a year of college while our other brother has a learning disability, so he's used the excuse that he's "too stupid" to do anything with his life. He's not "too stupid.")

♥ms.pacman♥
11-10-2009, 03:21 PM
DH & I both went to MIT, so we're nerds, and I imagine our baby will be one too. :) MIT doesn't really have any rivals except for that we like to poke fun at Harvard at times. Oh and there's some stuff going on with Caltech, once some students stole their mascot.

Laurel
11-10-2009, 03:28 PM
My family has degrees from Berkeley, UC Davis, UC Santa Cruz, UCLA, UC San Diego and Reed College. We're kind of partial to the UC system :).

DH's family has degrees from University of Denver, Ball State, UT, Middlebury.

nrp
Me, DH, BIL, SIL and my dad all went to Duke for undergrad. Go Blue Devils! :cheerleader1:

MIL and FIL are the odd ducks - he went to Georgia Tech and she went to Baylor.

DH and I went to UT-Austin for graduate school (me for law, him for his MBA).

BIL went to UTMB (Galveston) for med school and SIL went to Baylor med school.

My dad went to Vanderbilt for law school. My mom went to a junior college in Georgia for awhile and didn't finish.

Nyfeara
Me:
BS's in Animal Science and Biology from Virginia Tech
MS, Microbiology from Thomas Jefferson Univ
JD from Widener University

DH:
BS, Ornamental Horticulture from Delaware Valley College

My brother spent some time at Motorcycle Mechanics Institute in Kissimmee, FL. Neither of my parents went to college.

codex57
11-10-2009, 03:32 PM
DH & I both went to MIT, so we're nerds, and I imagine our baby will be one too. :) MIT doesn't really have any rivals except for that we like to poke fun at Harvard at times. Oh and there's some stuff going on with Caltech, once some students stole their mascot.

You must teach your baby to continue the grand tradition of pranks at MIT.

gordo
11-10-2009, 03:39 PM
I have a BA in History with a minor in Religion from Kenyon College in Ohio
I have Masters in Social Work from Washington Univ in St. Louis

My DH went to Illinois Institute of Technology for undergrad

Sister went to Northwestern and got her JD from U of Chicago

m4nash
11-10-2009, 03:51 PM
Mom & Dad: U. of Maryland College Park

Me: Auburn
DH: Auburn & U. of Alabama Huntsville

Brother1 & SIL1: Duke & Northwestern

Brother2: LSU & U. of Houston Law
SIL2: LSU

Brother3: Simpson College (IA) & Auburn
SIL3: Simpson College (IA) & Vanderbilt

FIL: Auburn (undergrad and vet school)

Corie
11-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Maternal Grandfather- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Fraternal Grandfather- I think University of Cincinnati
Maternal Grandmother- I think University of Cincinnati

Dad- Miami University (Oxford, Ohio), University of Cincinnati
Mom- Southern Seminary (all-girls school in Virginia), University of Cincinnati

Me- Stephen F. Austin St. University (Nacogdoches, Texas)
Sister- cosmetology school
Brother- University of Texas at Austin
Brother- North Texas

Husband- Texas A&M, Stephen F. Austin St. University

I think that's everyone!!

smilequeen
11-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Me...Washington University in St. Louis (started undergrad), Creighton University (finished BS), Northwestern University (DDS)

DH...U of Toronto, Northwestern University

My mom...St. Bonaventure University(?), St. Louis University

My dad...University of Illinois

My brother...University of Denver, University of Wyoming, George Washington University

DH's parents went to school in Hong Kong

DH's brother...U of Toronto, New England College of Optometry (I think...)

That is as much as I can remember :)

StantonHyde
11-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Me: BA in Poli Sci from Haverford College, Haverford, PA; MA in INternational Political Economy with a Latin American emphasis from Univ of So Cal (I tutored for the football team/athletic department and because of that am not really a fan of any college football!)
Dad: BS Kenyon College, MD Harvard Med School
Mom: RN from Brigham and Women's, BSN, MSN, and PhD from Idaho State University
Brother: BS and PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Stanford; MS in ME from MIT
Maternal Grandmother--RN from somewhere
Paternal Grandmother--College degree from Indiana Teachers College/Univ

DH: BS from U of New Mexico, MD from U of Utah SOM
Dad: Bachelors from somewhere
Mom: RN from some where in Iowa, MSN and PhD from Univ of New Mexico
Sister: BA from Univ of New Mexico

We are nerdville city in this house. DH and I joke that we will have to show our kids WWF just for cultural reference!

tylersmama
11-10-2009, 04:35 PM
Pretty much my entire family went to Bowling Green. Mom, Dad, Sister, Grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins...

I refused to conform, so I went to Miami University for my undergrad, and then got a master's from the University of Cincinnati.

Hopefully I'll be going to nursing school at the University of Colorado-Denver in the spring!

pb&j
11-10-2009, 04:37 PM
I went to Wellesley for undergrad, and Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and UVa for grad school.

DH went to Auburn.

My parents both went to UVa, though my mom was not in a degree program as this was prior to women being admitted. She did the RN program; my dad went to Med School.

My sister went to James Madison U and Johns Hopkins.

jse107
11-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Me: Bucknell University, BSEd, MSEd (School Psych and Counseling)
DH: PennState--BSAE, MSAE (Architectual Engineering, Structures Option)

Mom: Pine Manor Jr. college in MA, University of Arizona--BA
Dad: SUNY Morrisville, transferred to University of Arizona (Electrical Engineering)

MIL: SUNY Oswego--BA Education (retired elementary teacher)
FIL: SUNY Oswego--BA Education (retired principal)

My GM: Smith College
My GF: University of Iowa (doctor)

Brother: Johns Hopkins University--BA PoliSci, currently part-time at Georgetown Law
BIL: PennState
SIL: PennState

GO NITTANY LIONS!!!!

wencit
11-10-2009, 04:40 PM
I got a BS in electrical engineering from Cal Berkeley.

DH got an MS in electrical engineering from Stanford.

Needless to say, Big Game time is not a happy one in our family. ;)

veronica
11-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Fun!!

Me: Undergrad completed at Lehigh University, Bethlehem PA (BS in Accounting) and MBA at Monmouth Universty in NJ

DH: Undergrad completed at Seton Hall (History and Education). Masters in History from Monmouth Universtiy and Masters in School Administration from Georgian Court University in NJ.

My brother: BS in Accounting from Bentley college in Waltham, MA and is currently completing his MBA.

MontrealMum
11-10-2009, 05:33 PM
I am a Boilermaker through and through! (BSIE from Purdue University) HUGE football fan and ecstatic over our win in the Big House...particularly since it allows me to trash talk all the fans here in MI. Now we just need to beat State! ;-)

I see that it's the Spartans against the Boilermakers this weekend :)

Most of my family have either gone to Michigan State, or the University of Michigan. We try to be mature about the rivalry ;) One cousin went to Lake Superior State. A few have also gone to private colleges in MI, such as Hope, Calvin, Aquinas, and Olivet. The car people have gone to Northwood. Also one cousin went to MIT, and then McGill..

..which brings us to DH's family who all for the most part went to McGill. Except an uncle who was different and went to UofT, and SIL who went to Trent and then Queen's. My most recent degree is also from McGill.

♥ms.pacman♥
11-10-2009, 05:35 PM

DH got an MS in electrical engineering from Stanford.

Needless to say, Big Game time is not a happy one in our family. ;)

me too!! boo Stanfurd!! heheh :)

essnce629
11-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Didier and I both went to USC. That's how we met. I was there for 4 years, but fell behind when I got meningitis my junior year and had to miss a semester and then when I came back I got pregnant with Conner and after I had him they closed down the nursing program so I never graduated. Didier was a journalism major with a minor in political science and writing. He then went to law school at UVA.

Go Trojans!!!

MaiseyDog
11-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Me- BS in pharmaceutical Science and Pharm.D.- Ole Miss (Oxford, MS)
DH- BS in Pharmaceutical Science and Pharm.D.- Ole Miss

Father- 2 years at Ole Miss then transferred to Delta State University (Cleveland, MS)- BS in Biology
Mother- Delta State Univeristy - Education

FIL- Delta State University- Accounting
MIL- Delta State University- Accounting

2 Brothers both went to Ole Miss (History and Political Science)
2 SIL- Ole Miss (SLP and English/Political Science)

HOTTY TODDY!!!

newg
11-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Me, DH, my sis and my parent's all went to schools in Ohio (Xavier, Miami, Whittenburg....) my dad also went to the paper science institute up in Wisconsin for his phd.........

....no other family immediate family members besides my uncles/aunts went to college...............

trales
11-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Me undergrad Miami University - glad to see others
grad UNH
Mom and dad - undergrad, grad, JD Michigan State
Sis - MSU JD Dickenson

DH - BA Williams, MS, UMaine, JD Franklin Pierce
MIL- Brooklyn College, SUNY Stoney Brook
FIL - Queens College, Columbia
DH's sibs - Hamilton and Penn

None of our grandparents went to college.

codex57
11-10-2009, 06:38 PM

me too!! boo Stanfurd!! heheh :)

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/images/smilies/icon20.gif Eecs! Some uber-nerds in here. :p

ged
11-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Me: BS and MPH from UC Berkeley. Go Bears! (no, no EECS for me!!)
DH: BS from Duke, JD from UConn
Brother: BA from UPenn, JD from Univ of Chicago
Sister: BA from UCLA, currently studying at BU

Parents: colleges in Taiwan, Dad got a Masters from Sacramento State I believe.

bigpassport
11-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Me--Northwestern U (BA); Lewis & Clark (JD)
Dad--Brown University
Mom-Univ. of Washington
Brother--Pacific University

DH--BYU (BS); UNLV (JD)
Dad--Univ. of Utah (BS); BYU (MBA)
Mom--Univ. of Utah
Many BIL's & SIL's--BYU, BYU Law, Univ of TX Med School at San Antonio

bluestarfish18
11-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Mom-Univeristy of Washington (Business Admin & Accounting)
Dad-Univerity of Virginia, USC & Stanford (PhDs in Aeronautical Engineering & Astronautical Engineering...yeah he's a rocket scientist...must skip generations)
Me-UC San Diego (Marine Zoology)

teedeedee
11-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Me- BS in pharmaceutical Science and Pharm.D.- Ole Miss (Oxford, MS)
DH- BS in Pharmaceutical Science and Pharm.D.- Ole Miss

Father- 2 years at Ole Miss then transferred to Delta State University (Cleveland, MS)- BS in Biology
Mother- Delta State Univeristy - Education

FIL- Delta State University- Accounting
MIL- Delta State University- Accounting

2 Brothers both went to Ole Miss (History and Political Science)
2 SIL- Ole Miss (SLP and English/Political Science)

HOTTY TODDY!!!

Got my BA in Poli Sci at Ole Miss! Hotty Toddy!!!

zag95
11-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Me: Gonzaga U- BA; Portland State U, MEd
DH: Univ of Oregon- BA, POrtland State Univ, MA, C & I

Dad: Linfield College, BA; City Univerity, Master's coursework
Mom: Portland State, BA; Lewis and Clark College, Master's coursework

Bro: Gonzaga U- BA

FIL: Oregon State- BA
MIL: Oregon State- BA

BIL- Jr college

Go Zags!!

michellerw
11-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Me -- BA, English, Drew University (Madison, NJ). M.Ed., Instructional Technology, University of Virginia (Curry)
DH -- BA, Religious Studies, College of William and Mary. MA & PhD, Catholic University of America

My Mom -- BA (short 3 credit hours of PE), James Madison University
My Stepdad -- BA, Stevens Institute of Technology. MBA, University of Connecticut.
My Dad -- BS, University of Buffalo. Dad started and didn't finish law school as well as a Masters in Ed.
My Brother -- A.S., Culinary Institute of America.

FIL -- BS, Temple University. MS, George Washington University.
MIL -- BS, University of Georgia. MA, George Washington University.

None of our grandparents finished college. My maternal grandmother started in Greece after WWII/before the civil war. My maternal grandfather missed his chance because the Army released him too late to go to Purdue. It wasn't even an option for my paternal grandparents, although my grandfather went to electronics school of some sort. My stepgrandfather was an engineer for Marconi wireless. I'm not sure if he went to University in England, but I doubt it because they were working class. DH's grandparents didn't go to college either.

vludmilla
11-10-2009, 08:27 PM
None of my grandparents or DH's grandparents went to college.

I went to Connecticut state schools for undergrad, stopped for awhile and finished my BA online in psychology. MA and CAGS in school psychology from Marist. PhD pending in psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University

DH went to CUNY for BA, Marist for MA and is a PhD candidate as well.

FIL did graduate school (MA/MS?) in engineering and math at Columbia. PhD in mathematics from CUNY Graduate Center

MIL did undergrad in pre-med/bio at Sarah Lawrence (I think)

BIL, PhD in Physical Anthropology from NYU
SIL, Fordham BA and MA in education
BIL, BA in math and accounting from some NY school
SIL, BA and MA in education from Iona and some other school

My mom: BA from City College (NYC), MA in psychology from CUNY graduate center
My dad: BA or BS from Franklin Pierce in Bio and Chem

mecawa
11-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Me--BS, Education, BS, Psychology--UMass, M.Ed--Lesley University

DH--MIT (Engineering)

Sister--UMass (Business)

BIL--MIT (Engineering)
SIL--UMass (Music)
SIL--Mass College of Pharmacy(pharmacy)

FIL-- Boston University(Engineering ??)
MIL--Bunker Hill Community College (business)

Mother-- UMass (Education)
Father--Northeastern (Engineering)

cuca_
11-10-2009, 09:09 PM
Me: BA in Poli Sci from Haverford College, Haverford, PA

Me too! I graduated in the class of 1992. What about you?

kdeunc
11-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Me-University of North Carolina Chapel Hill-BA in Sociology and Political Science

DH-East Carolina University BS-Nursing, Old Dominion University-MSN-Anesthesia

Sister and BIL-UNC-Chapel Hill (undergrad and grad school for my sister)
SIL/BIL-North Carolina State University and Radford University

None of our parents/grandparents went to college.

StantonHyde
11-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Me too! I graduated in the class of 1992. What about you?

I graduated in '87--looks like we just missed each other! What was your major?

Gena
11-10-2009, 10:01 PM
I got my BS at Michigan State University and did a year of grad school at New York University.

My brother got his BS at the University of Michigan, his Masters at Stanford, and his MD at Oregon Health Sciences University

gobadgers
11-10-2009, 10:13 PM
I went to Wisconsin - surprise! - along with a lot of my family (mom, dad, brother, cousins, uncles, aunts).

DH went to Michigan. I love him anyway.

dcmom2b3
11-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Me? Wellesley BA in Political Science :cheerleader1:19xxWellesleyRah!:cheerleader1:
UC Berkeley JD. Go Bears! Beat Stanfurd! (Please?)

Most of my father's side of the family (back to Emancipation) went to what is now St. Augustine's College (in the late 1800s I think it was St. Augustine's School?) an HBCU in North Carolina.

My mom has a masters from Columbia University; she and her sisters graduated from Maryland state HBCUs, and were the first college graduates in their family. So the story goes, my grandmother's secondary education (at a boarding school in Baltimore, long since defunct) was interrupted by an outbreak of typhus from an infected well; she insisted upon leaving school, and they wouldn't let her return afterwards. Unthinkable to me, but a part of history, apparently.

maestramommy
11-10-2009, 11:30 PM
I went to Northwestern. One sis is a Mudder, other went to Cal State Northridge. Bro went to UC Davis. Dad went to National Taiwan University, Mom went to Tainan Theological College. Dh went to UPenn.

TwinFoxes
11-10-2009, 11:43 PM
UC Berkeley JD. Go Bears! Beat Stanfurd! (Please?)

M-H I knew you went to Boalt, but I didn't know there were so many other Cal grads! Good to see the Blue and Gold well represented here! (even the eecs geeks. :)) I'll say it again (because really, you can't say it enough!) Go Bears!

bluestarfish18
11-10-2009, 11:45 PM
Me-University of North Carolina Chapel Hill-BA in Sociology and Political Science

DH-East Carolina University BS-Nursing, Old Dominion University-MSN-Anesthesia

Sister and BIL-UNC-Chapel Hill (undergrad and grad school for my sister)
SIL/BIL-North Carolina State University and Radford University

None of our parents/grandparents went to college.

Kelly,

A couple close friends of mine went to NCS, what year did you grad?

dcmom2b3
11-11-2009, 12:02 AM
You must teach your baby to continue the grand tradition of pranks at MIT.

A refinement/recalibration of the Smoot, perhaps? That story still cracks me up.

http://web.mit.edu/spotlight/smoot-salute/

kbud
11-11-2009, 12:06 AM
Me: Colorado State University - BS and Metro State of College of Denver - teaching certification
DH: University of Dubuque
Sister: Colorado State University - BS and Brown University - Masters
Dad: Iowa State - BS and Ohio State - Masters
Mom: University of Dayton (Ohio) - BS, I don't remember where her Masters officially came from she took many classes several places
BIL: University of WI, Milwaukee -BS, University of Alaska Fairfanks - Masters, he know currently works for the University of WI.

ThreeofUs
11-11-2009, 12:08 AM
Most of my family have either gone to Michigan State, or the University of Michigan. We try to be mature about the rivalry ;) One cousin went to Lake Superior State. A few have also gone to private colleges in MI, such as Hope, Calvin, Aquinas, and Olivet. The car people have gone to Northwood. Also one cousin went to MIT, and then McGill..

This is so DH's family. They - going back four generations, now - have their degrees from UM or State, with trickles of the private colleges up there.

My family is the odd one. Pick a university anywhere from the Mississippi east and I can probably point to a family member that has gone there. Sometimes its been a few generations back, but still.... And we follow the tradition of getting a few advanced degrees each. I had a great grandfather who was a doctor, dentist, lawyer, and teacher - and had doctoral degrees for all 4 careers.

cuca_
11-11-2009, 01:41 AM
I graduated in '87--looks like we just missed each other! What was your major?

Poli Sci too. Prof. Mortimer and Prof. Glickman were my advisors.

codex57
11-11-2009, 02:38 PM
I had a great grandfather who was a doctor, dentist, lawyer, and teacher - and had doctoral degrees for all 4 careers.

Holy smokes! Talk about your professional student. How did he have time to even practice?

StantonHyde
11-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Poli Sci too. Prof. Mortimer and Prof. Glickman were my advisors.

Me too!!!!

kdeunc
11-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Kelly,

A couple close friends of mine went to NCS, what year did you grad?

I graduated from UNC in 1992. My SIL graduated from NCSU around 98-99. I lived in Raleigh after graduation so I knew quite a few State grads.

MontrealMum
11-11-2009, 05:23 PM
I had a great grandfather who was a doctor, dentist, lawyer, and teacher - and had doctoral degrees for all 4 careers.
This is so cool, Ivy! I have two men in the population sample that I work with that had multiple/concurrent careers like that, but not with that sort of education. They're about a century earlier, though. Hearing things like that about your family makes my research come alive a bit more.