PDA

View Full Version : BJCM on the beach?

newnewsmama
11-10-2009, 01:27 PM
I booked a trip to the Caribbeans. The Bugaboo Frog I have might be too inconvenient for gatechecking. I am thinking about getting a BJCM as my travel stroller. But I don't know how well it will handle the beach. On a second thought, I am not even sure whether the Frog can handle the beach. I used my ERGO baby carrier in my last trip to the beach. But my son squirmed and cried because he did not like to be constrained.

Any opinions/suggestions?

(I love this forum! Always can get some useful opinions. If I had come here earlier, I would not have gotten the Graco Quattro before my baby was born).

strollerqueen
11-10-2009, 02:56 PM
No, the smaller plastic wheels on the Mini will not work on the beach. The Bug says it does, but I haven't tried it. They have that special feature where you tuck the front wheels under and roll it on the back. Baby is crying or I could find it for you, but google it.

WatchingThemGrow
11-10-2009, 03:36 PM
NOPE. Not at all. Our mini double was horrid on the sand. Cameleon was a dream. We've done the beach buggy thing and it worked well. Ergo is great too, if they are used to it. We bag the Bugaboo for travel bc they guarantee the stroller if you use their padded bag.

Melbel
11-10-2009, 04:41 PM
I used our BJCM on the beach all summer for DD2 (at beach 2x per week on average). It was not ideal but very doable. It helps to pull it backward in tough spots. It probably depends on how thick and/or packed the sand is at the particular beach.

WatchingThemGrow
11-10-2009, 04:46 PM
I used our BJCM on the beach all summer for DD2 (at beach 2x per week on average). It was not ideal but very doable. It helps to pull it backward in tough spots. It probably depends on how thick and/or packed the sand is at the particular beach.

Really?? Our double was NO good on the soft sugar sand of the FL Gulf Coast. I guess if you go only on hard-packed sand it would roll, but with the weight of two toddlers and dry sugar-sand it wasn't moving.

mommylamb
11-10-2009, 04:56 PM
We used the BJCM at our last beach trip, and it was less than ideal. Then again, I'm not sure if any stroller would be great. Our friends had their Bob Revolution, and that wasn't too hot either.

arivecchi
11-10-2009, 05:24 PM
We go to the Caribbean a lot. I only use the Ergo at the beach for baby. I cannot imagine any stroller that would work in the beaches we go to. We don't take the baby to the beach if it is too hot out, so he does not get sweaty inside the Ergo. Now to the pool area, we take him in our Mac Triumph. Our nanny has taken our BJCCD to a beach here in Chicago and she said it was a bear to push. The thing that works pretty well is our Radio Flyer wagon, but of course, that does not help since you are traveling.

jacksmoma
11-10-2009, 06:08 PM
no stroller is good on the beach imo- BUT the mini is super easy to fold then open when you set up camp :) Bug is not so good at that!

mecawa
11-10-2009, 07:04 PM

:yeahthat:

Not the best stroller for the beach (I don't think there is one) but if the sand is more packed it can be done.

I like my BJCM, but I would not travel with it, I find it too clunky, but that is probably just me.:):)

strollerqueen
11-11-2009, 03:28 AM
We used the BJCM at our last beach trip, and it was less than ideal. Then again, I'm not sure if any stroller would be great. Our friends had their Bob Revolution, and that wasn't too hot either.

Truthfully, no swivel wheel tires work very well. But the big, fixed wheels on a jogger do great. 20" wheels do better than 16". I used to see a few 24" BJ's on the beach. They just sailed along.

Melbel
11-11-2009, 06:52 AM
Really?? Our double was NO good on the soft sugar sand of the FL Gulf Coast. I guess if you go only on hard-packed sand it would roll, but with the weight of two toddlers and dry sugar-sand it wasn't moving.

Really! :) Even my nine year old DS could push it, so long as it was not uphill. While the kids were out of school last summer, I took the 3 kids solo to the beach all the time while DH was working. Since I had the lighter single and a 22 pound DD2, it would definitely be easier than your scenario with a double and 2 toddlers. We also have a BJ Q series (a true jogging stroller) that did roll much better on the sand but was much more difficult for me to get in/out of our SUV due to my bad back. Even if it would work better on the sand, I could not imagine travelling with and gate checking a true jogger.

To the OP, I hope you have a fabulous trip!