PDA

View Full Version : Did I make a big mistake? Can child hold still for a MRI without sedation?

jess_g
11-10-2009, 03:10 PM
I just scheduled my sons MRI. He is not going to be sedated like he was last time and will have to hold still for about 45 minutes. I am not sure if he will stay still but I thought it was worth a try. He is a mouth breather so I was adviced by an ENT recently to not sedate him for this and the woman at the hospital thought that he would be ok without sedation. I guess my question is how still does he need to be for an MRI? What happens if he moves a bit? Is it worth trying this without sedation? Or should I change everything and have him sedated?

He was sedated last time and did fine. It was hard though as he could not eat for 12 hours beforehand and he could not walk when he was done as the sedation did not fully wareoff before they sent him home.

Thanks for any advice on this matter,

Jessica.

MMEand1
11-10-2009, 03:15 PM
I do MRI's, so I know a little bit about this.

How old is your son? How likely is he to cooperate? My DS is almost 7 and I know that there is NO WAY he would hold still for 45 minutes. What type of scan are they doing? Are you allowed to be in there with him?

It is possible for him to get through it okay, but we don't have much luck with children younger than about 8 or 9. Very rarely we will have a 6 or 7 year old be able to make it through, but these children are usually the ones that have been having medical procedures all of their little lives and are used to it (sadly). Most of the time, the younger ones that are able to get through it are girls.

Any kind of movement on you DC's part will result in a blurry image and less than optimal quality for the Rads to read. Most of the time we will have to go back and re-do a sequence if there is movement, so it takes longer than the original 45 minutes.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll be more than happy to answer them!
Mariah P.

jess_g
11-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Wow Mariah, thanks for the great info.

From what you have said it sounds like he will need to be sedated. My son is 9 years old but acts more like a 6 year old. He has delays and sensory issues including the fear of loud noises.

Do you know if there are any issues with sedation and kids that breath through the mouth? The ENT mentioned this in regards to surgery to remove my sons tonsils not in regards to the MRI so I am not sure if there is any extra risk for my son.

It sounds like I should call the hospital back and get them to change the appointment to one with sedation.

Thanks,

Jessica.

MrsZaz
11-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Having had several MRI's myself (and I suffer from hearing loss in both ears), if he doesn't like loud noises he won't be able to sit still. I think an MRI is loud and with both ears combined I have 100% hearing --60%/40%).

edited for spelling

mecawa
11-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Having had serval MRI's myself (and I suffer from hearing loss in both ears), if he doesn't like loud noises he won't be able to sit still. I think an MRI is loud and with both ears combined I have 100% hearing --60%/40%).

:yeahthat:

DD1 had one at age 3 1/2 and we tried it without sedation and it was a complete nightmare (hates loud noises, and any medical type procedures).

AnnieW625
11-10-2009, 07:17 PM
My sister had to start having MRIs in jr. high school for what they thought was ulcers, turns out she had H Pilori and even at 12 or 13 when she had the first one she said it was really hard. She had the last one about 18 mos. ago again for stomach issues and she said it hasn't gotten any easier. I am usually not one for over medicating but for situations like this and for dental work I am all about sedation.

ShanaMama
11-10-2009, 07:54 PM
I just scheduled my sons MRI. He is not going to be sedated like he was last time and will have to hold still for about 45 minutes. I am not sure if he will stay still but I thought it was worth a try. He is a mouth breather so I was adviced by an ENT recently to not sedate him for this and the woman at the hospital thought that he would be ok without sedation. I guess my question is how still does he need to be for an MRI? What happens if he moves a bit? Is it worth trying this without sedation? Or should I change everything and have him sedated?

He was sedated last time and did fine. It was hard though as he could not eat for 12 hours beforehand and he could not walk when he was done as the sedation did not fully wareoff before they sent him home.

Thanks for any advice on this matter,

Jessica.

I had an open MRI. As DH says, it's open above your eyebrows. Still very confining. There are a whole bunch of loud clicks and knocks as well. I understand your hesitation about the anesthesia but it will probably be less traumatic that way than if he actually has to endure the scan and cooperate.

hillview
11-10-2009, 08:02 PM
I've had MRIs and they are hard to hold still for me.
/hillary

jren
11-10-2009, 09:34 PM
I have MRIs annually. They're relaxing to me, but my DD has to have one soon. She's 5. I will not allow her to have one unless they sedate. Knowing her, she'd be terrified. She also hates loud noises.

ThreeofUs
11-10-2009, 10:07 PM
You know, you don't have to have him fully sedated. You can ask for a light course and they'll give him enough to relax, but not to send him into full sleep. For mouth-breathers, this might be a better course.

hez
11-11-2009, 12:50 AM
I've had three MRI's-- and did them all with the help of Valium (actually fell asleep all three times partway through). I wouldn't expect my kids to be able to handle something I can't, but maybe I'm just a big baby ;) Seriously, though it IS hard to remain perfectly still in that loud, clanging machine even at an age when you know exactly what the consequence is if you move slightly.