PDA

View Full Version : Need New Washer/Dryer. Any Recommendations or "don'ts"

MizMojoLaveau
11-10-2009, 05:04 PM
I was thinking of going HE. Thought I wanted a front loader but worried about them now that I'm hearing about the mildew smell problems some have encountered with those. Can't really leave the door open for it to dry out.

codex57
11-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Why can't you leave the front door open?

I love the front loaders. The new Samsungs with that tech to keep it quiet sounds awesome.

nov04
11-10-2009, 05:18 PM
we leave our door open frequently and have never had problems. We've had 2 different ones (left first one with house we sold).

We're thrilled with our LG but we've only had it a month so hopefully I don't change my mind.

MizMojoLaveau
11-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Can't leave the door open now as it is in our garage and the occasional critter gets in there and might just crawl in if given the opportunity. In new house, there washer is in front of the back door and the open door would hinder the walkway to the door

boltfam
11-10-2009, 05:36 PM
I have a front loader, which I love, but I definately need to keep my door open to prevent mildew and mold issues. My MIL also has a front loader and and she cannot leave the door open since it is in a small closet in their walkway and the door would be in the way. She said she wipes the inside of it down with a towel when she finishes a load. I don't know if she wipes the whole thing down or just the rubber gaskets. I would think if you just wiped the crevices down, you would be okay.

applebutter
11-10-2009, 06:10 PM
We use cloth diapers, so stick w/a top loader - front loaders are sucky for diapers.

Twin Mom
11-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Just be warned if you go the front loader route that they have a much shorter life span than top load washers. We didn't know this when we bought ours and I'm not sure we would have done it, had we known. I would recommend an extended warranty if you get one just in case.

We also leave the washer door open all the time b/c of the smell.

codex57
11-10-2009, 06:39 PM
Just be warned if you go the front loader route that they have a much shorter life span than top load washers. We didn't know this when we bought ours and I'm not sure we would have done it, had we known. I would recommend an extended warranty if you get one just in case.

We also leave the washer door open all the time b/c of the smell.

We had an extended warranty on ours. It's now past. These things aren't disposable. No idea if it'll go 15-20 yrs, but extended warranties generally only go to about 3-5 years. Mine's past 3 yrs now.

nofeea
11-10-2009, 08:50 PM
See if you can find my old post...though I was looking for a top loader. Actually, a repairman/relative actually told me that for the HE's the toploaders are better but I'm not sure why. We went with the Maytag Bravos. Got it delivered yesterday and used it for the first time today. So far so good... (And so cool looking! But obviously no long term experience... and even my repairman family/contact recommended the extended warranty and he said that the Bravos seemed to perfom better than the other options...)
Good luck!

drako
11-10-2009, 09:08 PM
I have the LG front loaders. They are about 4 years old. I really don't love them. I need to keep the door of the washer open but I still think it smells. I hate that it takes so long to do a load of wash (about 1 hour). I like that they use less water since I have a well but I don't think they wash as well. Maybe the newer ones are different. It's been so long since I have had a top loader I can't remember how they wash to compare.

happymom
11-10-2009, 09:20 PM
I have the LG front loaders. They are about 4 years old. I really don't love them. I need to keep the door of the washer open but I still think it smells. I hate that it takes so long to do a load of wash (about 1 hour). I like that they use less water since I have a well but I don't think they wash as well. Maybe the newer ones are different. It's been so long since I have had a top loader I can't remember how they wash to compare.

:yeahthat: I had a front loader for a little while because it came with our house. Its nice that there's no agitator, but I hated that it took so long to do a load. Even more annoying, was the fact that it locked after the load started and I couldnt throw in that sock that I always manage to drop on the way downstairs, or the shirt I realize afterwards needs to be washed.....

crl
11-10-2009, 11:47 PM
I like front loaders. I've had three now--due to moves. The first was a basic Kenmore. The second two have been Bosches.

I do leave the door open and I think it would be problematic to have it closed.

I've never done cloth diapers in one. But I think everything else gets just as clean, if not cleaner than with the top loaders with agitators I've used in the past. And I think they are gentler on clothes--things like mattress pads seem to last much longer with the front loaders. I've never used a top loader without agitator so I can't make that comparision.

I'm a bit of a green weenie so I really like the reduced water useage. The longer wash cycle doesn't bother me--the dry time is less because the washer spins clothes out so well, so it evens out.

Mine allows me to add a garment easily, I just push the pause button.

You might want to check out the laundry forum at That Home Site on the gardenweb forums. (Although, they can be just a bit obsessive over there about their washers. . . .)

Catherine

ohiomom1121
11-10-2009, 11:56 PM
I got the LG front loaders that are non stackable (no pedestals necessary) and I absolutely love them. I agonized about them and am completely thrilled with the purchase. I would hesitate to not leave the door open though..I always do and have not had any smell issues. I don't have any problems with opening the door once the wash has started, you can pause it and it unlocks the door. Highly recommend them!!!

Sassie030
11-11-2009, 12:31 AM
We have a Maytag front loader and love it. I have had it for 6 years now without any issues. I do not leave my door open but once a month I wash about 3 towels with a cup of vinegar and then us those towels to wipe down the inside and gaskets. Then I follow that wipe down with a rinse. There are also a few washer cleaners out there that seem to do a good job. I love that it is much gentler on my clothes and it uses a lot less water and detergent. It also holds must bigger loads I am now able to wash my comforter in there without having to go to the laundry mat.

Also once my extended warranty ended I called Maytag and now purchase directly through them. It isn't that expensive considering they come out every year to do a tune up. For the money it is worth knowing if something breaks they have the labor and parts covered. I have had to use them twice and have no complaints I saved $400 on just that one visit.

happymom
11-11-2009, 01:13 AM
Mine allows me to add a garment easily, I just push the pause button.

I don't have any problems with opening the door once the wash has started, you can pause it and it unlocks the door.

I don't mean to sound completely dumb, but where does the water go when you open the door?

MizMojoLaveau
11-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Yeah, where DOES the water go? Thanks for all these suggestions. I really don't think I want to have to leave the door open or wipe the gaskets down to prevent mildew smell. With kids and pets we have enough smelly stuff around our house as it is---I need my washer of all things to be easy and fresh smelling:shrug: I have not ruled a front loader totally out, but guess I need to research the Maytag Bravos and other top loaders more...

MizMojoLaveau
11-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Thanks crl for the tip on the garden web forum. I'll check that out!

ohiomom1121
11-11-2009, 10:59 AM
I don't mean to sound completely dumb, but where does the water go when you open the door?
Not dumb at all...I wondered the same thing. With front loaders there's really not a ton of water in it while it runs (I pictured the same thing, opening the door with a huge rush of water coming out!). So when it unlocks there's water at the bottom, but that's it. Plus there's a pretty big ring where the door locks and the water is behind that, if that makes sense.

Also, I remember the sales person at Lowes telling me there's some kind of lock that you can put on the door so it is just cracked to let air in but I never looked into it since mine is in the basement so it's not an issue to leave the door open when not in use.

jse107
11-11-2009, 11:59 AM
We don't have a new washer, but about 6 months ago we got a new LG dryer and love it! We got it at Home Depot. It's non-stackable, which I actually like. Lots of different settings that work well. No complaints so far!

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5/R-100588392/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Remember, you don't have to get a matching set!

clb
11-11-2009, 12:03 PM
...where does the water go when you open the door?

There is always water left in the detergent dispenser so I empty that into the wash sink. There isn't a lot of water in the washer so it evaporates into the air. (I assume it evaporates. It is gone in the next day.) The only exception I have is the handwash cycle. Either I do a second load immediately after a handwash load or I need to use the drain button.

drako
11-11-2009, 01:22 PM
Another thing I forgot to mention that I don't like about my LG's. When you bleach a load of whites you have to be careful what you do in the next load. Bleach must not totally dispense into the washer and I have on more than one occasion ruined clothing because the bleach dispensed into the next load. I have learned my lesson and will do a load of towels, dog beds, or another load of whites in order not to ruin a load of colors.

I do like that we are able to stack them. It does save room in our laundry room.

catsnkid
11-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Not completely thrilled with my kenmore elite. It is 4 years old. I pulled the detergent dispenser out and dropped it and part of it cracked, still operable. (plastic) It also broke when DS was 6 weeks old and I had to lug laundry and baby around in the middle of summer to my grandmas. I also just noticed that things are getting stuck around the rubber edging inside..
However it washes very well!

kijip
11-11-2009, 11:10 PM
We have a front loader. We don't usually leave the door open. We use cloth diapers exclusively. No problems with the diapers, no problems with stink in the washer. We have had the set since June 2007 and been doing diapers for 10 months in there so it's not just because they are new.

We have Kenmore HE 2ts stacked in a tight space that is a closet in our bathroom. Works fine. The sanitary cycle is awesome for diapers. The idea that front loaders never work well with diapers is not true IME.