PDA

View Full Version : Magnatiles or unit blocks?

boolady
11-10-2009, 05:14 PM
I have read the previous threads on this issue, but can't decide which one would better suit 3 y.o. DD for Christmas. She has Tinkertoys and enjoys them, she got a 50-piece Imaginarium city blocks set from my FIL last year that she uses sometimes, but isn't bowled over by, and has Duplos, which she's starting to get bored with (I think).

I am intrigued by the Magnatiles, but see her playing with unit blocks at her daycare a lot when I pick her up. Any ideas which she might enjoy better? TIA!

brittone2
11-10-2009, 05:35 PM
If they have unit blocks at daycare but not magnatiles, I'd go with the magnatiles since she has access to unit blocks outside of your home. My kids enjoy both quite a bit. Magnatiles are still a hit with my 5.5 year old DS and my almost-3 year old has been enjoying them for close to a year now. DH and I are discussing getting them another set of 100 because they use them almost daily.

hillview
11-10-2009, 07:40 PM
For us it is magnatiles over unit blocks all the time.
/hillary

willow33
11-10-2009, 08:17 PM
For us it is magnatiles over unit blocks all the time.
/hillary

Same here!

Hippoharbor
11-10-2009, 08:48 PM
My 4.5 yr old son NEVER played with his unit blocks. He does regularly play with magnatiles; we just got our second 100-piece set b/c they are loved on playdates.

boolady
11-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the replies! I think I'll go with the Magnatiles...I thought the unit blocks would be a sure thing since she's always playing with them at school, but as Beth pointed out, she's already got access to them, so it would give her more variety to get the Magnatiles. Is it wrong that I'm excited to try them out? :)

willow33
11-10-2009, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the replies! I think I'll go with the Magnatiles...I thought the unit blocks would be a sure thing since she's always playing with them at school, but as Beth pointed out, she's already got access to them, so it would give her more variety to get the Magnatiles. Is it wrong that I'm excited to try them out? :)

Not wrong at all :) I play with my boys and I find them strangely therapeutic!