PDA

View Full Version : Restless sleep - 5 MO

MizMojoLaveau
11-10-2009, 05:37 PM
At wits end and I'm getting almost NO sleep. 5 month old went from sleeping through the night to terrible sleep patterns about 1.5 months ago. Most recent problem is thrashing about and kicking and constantly squirming while asleep (or trying to sleep) and fussing. LO will flip to one side and arch his back and turn head to one side (almost like rooting) and then the other. This is accompanied by flailing and kicking. Then he is ABSOLUTELY FINE during the day. I thought the problem could be teething but now just don't think so. Also thought of ear infection but there is no fever or other symptoms of that. It is almost like restless legs syndrome. I can't figure it out --just wondering if anyone else has gone through the same thing and solved the problem. :confused::confused::confused:

happymom
11-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Have you tried swaddling him? My DD would also flail around when unswaddled- like she just couldnt get comfortable. Swaddling (we used the kiddopatomus "swaddle me") made a big difference.

elektra
11-10-2009, 05:55 PM
And change in your diet if you are breastfeeding?
I really have no idea what's wrong but I know that my own DS has had some problems getting to sleep these past few nights and I think it was something that I had eaten that did not agree with him.

MizMojoLaveau
11-10-2009, 06:03 PM
LO is EBF but I can't think of a change in my diet. One day I thought perhaps I had had too much caffeine (2-3 glasses of coke, which is more than normal) but that would only account for one night's lost sleep! I did previously swaddle and have the big Aden & Anais blankets but LO is big and strong and can now break out of my best swaddle!

SnuggleBuggles
11-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Could be reaching a milestone and is too interested in practicing to sleep. Any new tricks looming (sitting, rolling, pulling to a stand...)? I found that things get restless for a brief bit right before a new skill emerges.

Beth

happymom
11-11-2009, 01:20 AM
I found the "Swaddle Me" to be a more secure swaddle than just using a blanket- although I've never used an Aden & Anais blanket. The Miracle Blanket is the mose secure of all, but your DS is prob too big for it. I guess it depends if your DS likes being swaddled or not. DD loved it so she didnt really fight it that much. A Swaddle Me be worth a try though.

I also agree with Beth that it may just be a milestone thing.

Good luck!

slworld
11-11-2009, 01:36 AM
If you want to go with swaddling, try the Swaddle Me.

brandonsmom
11-11-2009, 03:23 AM
Please do not be blind to vaccine reactions like I was and like many parents I know were. Arching the back is a sign of encephalopathy, or brain inflammation. Honestly, the behavior is a sign of something being wrong and swaddling him is - in my opinion - kind of mean because you are trying to stop him from expressing the pain he is in. I suggest a very warm bath in Epsom salts.

Tons of moms are blind as to what is going on, their pediatricians are telling them these kinds of reactions to vaccines are normal when they are NOT. The pediatricians don't know any better because they see the same thing all the time. If you haven't been vaccinating, my next guess would be a food intolerance from your breastmilk. If you have been vaccinating, I would stop and immediately start researching building a healthy immune system, because further vaccination could destroy his immune system.